Political Message Boards

Come on now CSM, you know the deal ... you're bringing me the problem without your recommended solution.

IMO, most of us military-types are more aware of the consequences of abusing the privilege of freedom of speech. This is the internet. There is no accountability. The most that can happen to someone is they get banned; which, serves neither them nor the board.

At the same time, I realize the heathens keep people such as yourself from contributing more, knowing you prefer a low-key, intelligent conversation to the opposing argument being a ding on your ancestry or intellect.

There's got to be a happy medium.

Well, I think one remedy would be to make sure that if you post an opinion, and it's an obvious opinion, the poster must state IMO. Many posters here (including me) have posted opinion as fact and refuse to acknowledge any actual proof posted by the opposing poster. I usually try to actualy post "IMO" if I am unable to corroborate my opinion with an actual fact or link. Many posters will post an opinion with no link and carry own a childish debate as if their opinion is good enough, despite factual links that prove otherwise. I think all of us are guilty of this to a level. I think requiring people to post "IMO" to obvious opinions might ease senseless bickering a little. IMO...:D Not to mention generalizations and stupid assumptions about people by calling them Neo-cons, libs, etc...I don't think using the terms are bad, but incinuating that someone is one without knowing their background is pretty idiotic in itself.

Last edited:
If you agree with most or all of the points in the list describing liberals, and disagree with most or all of the ones describing conservatives, then you are today's "liberal".

If you agree with about half and half, you are today's "moderate".

If you agree with most or all of the points about conservatives, and disagree with most or all of the ones describing liberals, then you are today's "conservative".

Simple as that.

I would add that some of the points are vague. Abortion and military, specifically. You don't have to oppose abortion flat out, you can also just oppose federal intervention in the matter. I oppose the idea of abortion when it pertains to a decision I would personally make, but I really don't care that anyone else may choose to have an abortion. I just don't want to see my federal govenrment getting involved in it, that's all.

yes, attempting to line up every possible permutation of positions in that list would have been counterproductive and confusing.

In fact, the fact that there are so many subtle variations for those positions is part of the reason calling someone a conservative or liberal, even by todays litmus tests, is often a mistaken approach.

Even thinking that there are two sides to most of those issues is misleading.

There are many possible ways to approach some of those issues that are guaranteed to annoy people who identify themselves as either conservative or liberal.

I'd have to disagree Diuretic... when I popped back on here a couple months ago, I was immediately ganged up on by the marauding band of board liberals here simply for espousing my conservative opinions. There was no debate, there was no counter to my points, there was only smart ass talk and personal insults, and I can add that it doesn't just happen here. It's all over. The rottenest, filthiest talking, most personally abusive posters I've ever seen were liberals, and the only reason they need to start talking their shit is because they don't agree with you. Screw debate, they just want to verbally beat you up and make you go away. I was even dinged here by a liberal simply because of my avatar... need I say more.

Poor conservatives, always being beaten up by the nasty liberals.

See, it's that sneering attitude with no content I find offensive. And that's pure lefty.

personally, id like to see more critical thought and potential solutions rather than crying about which side of the political spectrum is the current king of the hill. NO one on this board talks more shit than I do but you can find no less than 5 stabs at new ideas/compromises posted by The Shogun of USMB.

the neocon conspiracy (and it IS a conspiracy, let's not kid oursevles) set out to take control of the language and they have done a truly brilliant job of it.

Hence "liberal" had become a charge rather than a general descriptive word.

And a simply persual of the malice of many posts in this place, ones which are usually fact and content free, but dripping with contempt for the caracture that the neocon conspiracy has made of the term, show us why the term has fallen from favor.

Control the language and you control the debate.

Gotta hand it to the people of places like the Hoover Institute for understanding that so well.

It is a descriptive word...and it means what it means. Words morph (think, "marriage") and allegedly that's what they're supposed to do. Liberals don't like anyone to actually acknowledge what they actually are, because even they realize they're scumbags.

It is a descriptive word...and it means what it means. Words morph (think, "marriage") and allegedly that's what they're supposed to do. Liberals don't like anyone to actually acknowledge what they actually are, because even they realize they're scumbags.

Bullshit. editec is right, control of language is everything - Newspeak is a real phenomenon. Those who think they're "conservatives" usually aren't - they're radical reactionaries who would trample over civil liberties and the protection of civil liberties is treasured by liberals and real conservatives not radical reactionaries like you Ali.

Exactly, Ali.

The word has morphed and it morphed through a very well thought out system of lies.

Lies which it is pretty obvious you swallowed.

All liberals are scumbags?

Do get a grip, lad.

Bullshit. editec is right, control of language is everything - Newspeak is a real phenomenon. Those who think they're "conservatives" usually aren't - they're radical reactionaries who would trample over civil liberties and the protection of civil liberties is treasured by liberals and real conservatives not radical reactionaries like you Ali.

You obviously don't know how our Liberals work. They would and do, when in power, trample over any and every right they can get away with. And their excuse is always " we are just looking out for you" they leave off the part " Because we know you are to stupid to take care of your self" so they don't offend the sheep they have voting for them.

You obviously don't know how our Liberals work. They would and do, when in power, trample over any and every right they can get away with. And their excuse is always " we are just looking out for you" they leave off the part " Because we know you are to stupid to take care of your self" so they don't offend the sheep they have voting for them.

You're mixing up liberals and Progressives. Again.

And the above is a fairly good example of the mindspeak system having done its job.

Consider that the original meaning of the word liberal is exactly the opposite of the above.

The original meaning of liberal is one who is FOR FREE MARKETS.

Yet the charge above is that liberal means one who is entirely opposed to FREE MARKETS.

Odd, isn't it?

Not odd if you look at the conspiracy and realize that it is a well thought out long range plan mostly involving the media, to make it almost impossible to discuss these complex issues rationally.

Exactly, Ali.

The word has morphed and it morphed through a very well thought out system of lies.

Lies which it is pretty obvious you swallowed.

All liberals are scumbags?

Do get a grip, lad.

I'm a lass.
Liberals are scumbags, because their strongly held beliefs threaten freedom, and they know it...and despite the fact still call "foul" when people make the connection.

yea, baba.. talk about liberal ideas hindering liberty from your spot on the "fags can't get married" express...

I guess the "freedoms" you want (killing kids with prayer, segregating society based on your "morals", and marginalizing non-believers) just isn't as savory to the rest of us as they are to our conservative comrades.

You are a psycho, and you'll stoop as low as it takes. You are a liberal.

I, on the other hand, have more class. I am a conservative.

Forum List

Back