Political Message Boards

Most people think only their opinion matters and/or is correct. I don't think either political viewpoint is worse than the other on this topic, people just like to flame. I find most of it amusing.

I will say that many conservatives here are quick to flame someone for merely being a liberal, and use the term "liberal" as some sort of insult.

I rarely see the liberals here throw the term "conservative" around as an insult.

Liberals here are hated for merely being liberal, which seems ridiculous.

I realise it's difficult to be specific but so far this thread seems to be a series of general smears by those of the right on those of the left. And since a question was asked in the first post I have to say that the deterioration of this thread is indicative of the problems. From the second post down it became simply a pile-on with, as I say, general smears. It's evidence of the problem. Just as well I don't take much of it seriously.

That is not the intent of this thread at all. It's actual intent is smear only you.:eusa_angel:

When you have mostly conservatives contributing to the thread why would you expect a liberal POV? Nobody's restricted from this thread. But your post IS indicative of some previously expressed opinions. Your idea of contributing to the discussion is attacking the discussion itself?

As previously stated, you cannot deny the nature of the beast, so address it. By definition, conservatives are going to be more conservative and liberals are going to be more liberal. That's just one of those obvious things, and it IS reflected by personal conduct based on those two definitions and which one a person falls under.

That however is not any point I am trying to make. The lack of an ability to debate a topic is not ideologically restricted to one side or the other. To me, someone asking:

"What do you think about Obama's preacher?" and the response is "McCain or Bush this or that ..." is about as pointless as saying "I think people should be allowed to have abortions if they want" and the response is "Murderer! You're going to Hell." Or, asking a question that in and of itself is not partisan and getting a response that attacks the question instead of responding to it.:eusa_eh:

I WILL make this observation, and it IS from a partisan POV. As of late, it really doesn't matter how good an argument you have. You can produce dictionary definitions, have spent a lifetime being trained in the topic you are discussing and it just doesn't matter. You get dogpiled, trolled and ridiculed. The facts don't matter, nor does being right. Personally I think it's a crock of shit and shows certain inellectual lightweights for exactly what they are, and it it traumatizes the board. People just quit posting when faced with a response such as that to anything they say.

You can call that partisan, but when I first came back here I put a stop to the rightwing morons that were doing it, and all the liberals here thought I was just the shit for it. Well, the behavior is no less offensive when it's coming from YOUR side.

I don't know about you, but my primary reason for being part of a political message board is to discuss politics. If I want to be called names I don't have to fire up the computer. I can just yank the old lady's chain and get all the verbal abuse I want and then some.:lol:

I will say that many conservatives here are quick to flame someone for merely being a liberal, and use the term "liberal" as some sort of insult.

I rarely see the liberals here throw the term "conservative" around as an insult.

Damn Paulitics ... if you ever were trying to get me to question your sanity .....:disbelief:

This is just an observation on my part, but one I think might make an interesting discussion.

I've been a member of several political message boards for a few years. One thing that always strikes me is that in most cases, one side always dominates the other. By "side" I mean political "side." It seems that whichever side dominates, there is a core element that is intent on running the other side off the board.

IMO, this shows a lack of foresight, and objective analysis of the mechanics. The purpose of the board is political debate. There is no debate if only one side of the argument exists. All that remains is smacking each other on the ass for whatever.

I have watched a couple of message boards die for this very reason. Once the enclave has no one to run off, they get bored, attack one another, or find some other place to attempt a repeat performance, never considering that they are the means of their own destruction.

Coincidentally, or maybe not, almost without exception, this group is the weakest at actual intellectual debate on any topic.

Just wondering if anyone would like to add to, or express any thoughts on this.
I have seen both political sides commit the same thing. I am opinionated, but as you know, I do not tolerate anyone abusing their authority to attack a political view.

I will not comment on this board, but I have seen it happen on many other boards as well.

So, when each side feels self-righteous indignation and attempt to defend their view...sometimes being dragged into name-calling degradation, how do we as a community bring the debate back up?

Everyone on this board (except a few) has resorted to personal attacks - including myself and the administrators of this board.

Rather than finger pointing, we should be acknowledging the validity of our very diverse opinions here. After all, the purpose of debate is to learn and to teach simultaneously.

I try to debate intelligently and politely but you just keep sucking me in.....bastards.

Most people think only their opinion matters and/or is correct. I don't think either political viewpoint is worse than the other on this topic, people just like to flame. I find most of it amusing.

this what I call a keeper for ...um...err....ahhh...some files.

<*wink>

I'm a pedagogue.

It's just part of my nature to want to engage in dialogue with people about social sciences.

I like it when people have different opinions than I do.

But it helps if they have more than just their unsubstantiated opinions and come to the discussion defending their opinions with facts and logic that I can mull over.

I defining winning a debate on a place like this, a debate where different ideas and opinions engage and both come away better understanding the issue at hand.

Seems to me the problem really hits the fan when people cannot find enough common ground to even engage in a discussion rationally.

I'm a pedagogue.

It's just part of my nature to want to engage in dialogue with people about social sciences.

I like it when people have different opinions than I do.

But it helps if they have more than just their unsubstantiated opinions and come to the discussion defending their opinions with facts and logic that I can mull over.

I defining winning a debate on a place like this, a debate where different ideas and opinions engage and both come away better understanding the issue at hand.

Seems to me the problem really hits the fan when people cannot find enough common ground to even engage in a discussion rationally.

"As long as there is government, there will be differences of opinion. Everyone takes his/a side in favor of the many or the few. Nothing new could be added by you or me to what has been said by others and will be said in every age." -TJ

The only side I want to be on is the side of truth.

It's a mighty small camp, let me tell ya'.

Damn Paulitics ... if you ever were trying to get me to question your sanity .....:disbelief:

Why?

Am I wrong? How many liberals use conservative as an insult, the way "liberal" is used around here as one?

I mean, personally I don't give a fuck about what side you lean to. Just do me the bare minimum, and be well-informed about your choices. I see the liberals losing their minds about Obama when he's no doubt going to be just another typical politician. If he was somehow a REAL maverick, he'd have been shut out by the MSM like any other so-called "maverick" would be. A certain candidate comes to mind.

It's not too much to ask, is it?

Why?

Am I wrong? How many liberals use conservative as an insult, the way "liberal" is used around here as one?

I mean, personally I don't give a fuck about what side you lean to. Just do me the bare minimum, and be well-informed about your choices. I see the liberals losing their minds about Obama when he's no doubt going to be just another typical politician. If he was somehow a REAL maverick, he'd have been shut out by the MSM like any other so-called "maverick" would be. A certain candidate comes to mind.

It's not too much to ask, is it?

so the term neo con was coined to be a compliment?.......why do you care what people call you anyway......would you prefer treehugger?.....moonbat...?

so the term neo con was coined to be a compliment?.......why do you care what people call you anyway......would you prefer treehugger?.....moonbat...?

You'll find I don't use the term neo con around here. I know what a neo con is, and I know who they are. I don't agree with their politics much the way I don't agree with most liberal politics.

And I'm not sure where I ever said I cared. I thought that last post would have clarified more how I DON'T care, but I guess you missed that.

You'll find I don't use the term neo con around here. I know what a neo con is, and I know who they are. I don't agree with their politics much the way I don't agree with most liberal politics.

And I'm not sure where I ever said I cared. I thought that last post would have clarified more how I DON'T care, but I guess you missed that.

so it would seem we agree that neither of us cares....there are those that use words to try to insult people....but at the end of the day if you don't care what people say you can not be insulted.....

You must be blind and not to bright, we have at least 5 or 6 liberals on this board that have STATED at one time or another a Conservative is an ignorant person and they didn't mean a specific person, they meant any one that "believed" in the Conservative position.

And most of them on this board have claimed voting republican means you are stupid as well. But hey , maybe those blinders you wear fit just right.

so it would seem we agree that neither of us cares....there are those that use words to try to insult people....but at the end of the day if you don't care what people say you can not be insulted.....

I never said it insulted ME. But the simple fact is that it does insult people, the way labels are used, and that's why they are used.

I'm simply commenting on it. Stating facts does not mean the issue has to be of personal concern to me. I'm sure there are plenty of liberals here who feel insulted that they are being called "liberals" in a condescending way. We all know RGS simply hates liberals, and enjoys using people merely being liberals against them.

But whatever though, dude. It doesn't bother me to be called a name, but that isn't going to stop me from commenting on it in this specific thread.

You must be blind and not to bright, we have at least 5 or 6 liberals on this board that have STATED at one time or another a Conservative is an ignorant person and they didn't mean a specific person, they meant any one that "believed" in the Conservative position.

And most of them on this board have claimed voting republican means you are stupid as well. But hey , maybe those blinders you wear fit just right.

Well I don't read every single thread and every single post, RGS. If it happens, I'm not doubting it. But I'd say the disdain around here towards liberals is far more regular than the disdain towards conservatives, as far as partisan labels being used as insults is concerned.

But hey, prove me wrong. Maybe there is just something I'm missing. I'd probably be pleasantly surprised to find I'm wrong, I really would.

Forum List

Back