Political Message Boards

You are a psycho, and you'll stoop as low as it takes. You are a liberal.

I, on the other hand, have more class. I am a conservative.

HA!

yea.. class enough to perpetuate a fixation on cocks and anuses even though they have nothing to do with you.

Indeed, change your avatar before claiming to be classy, yo.

I realise it's difficult to be specific but so far this thread seems to be a series of general smears by those of the right on those of the left. And since a question was asked in the first post I have to say that the deterioration of this thread is indicative of the problems. From the second post down it became simply a pile-on with, as I say, general smears. It's evidence of the problem. Just as well I don't take much of it seriously.

:clap2:

... people just like to flame. I find most of it amusing.

Same here, it can be very creative and I think most of it is in jest and not meant to be harmful. If I'm not in the mood for it I just tune it out, skip over certain people's posts or if serious abuse is directed at me and the issue being discussed has gone as far as it can, I sometimes see if I can rile up the jerk even further to see much i can get them to waste thier time and energy trying to do the same to me.

I'm a lass.
Liberals are scumbags, because their strongly held beliefs threaten freedom, and they know it...and despite the fact still call "foul" when people make the connection.

My apologies.

Get a grip, lass.

This is just an observation on my part, but one I think might make an interesting discussion.

I've been a member of several political message boards for a few years. One thing that always strikes me is that in most cases, one side always dominates the other. By "side" I mean political "side." It seems that whichever side dominates, there is a core element that is intent on running the other side off the board.

IMO, this shows a lack of foresight, and objective analysis of the mechanics. The purpose of the board is political debate. There is no debate if only one side of the argument exists. All that remains is smacking each other on the ass for whatever.

I have watched a couple of message boards die for this very reason. Once the enclave has no one to run off, they get bored, attack one another, or find some other place to attempt a repeat performance, never considering that they are the means of their own destruction.

Coincidentally, or maybe not, almost without exception, this group is the weakest at actual intellectual debate on any topic.

Just wondering if anyone would like to add to, or express any thoughts on this.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you might have seen the one War board on AOL where the Libs decided to shun everybody,(I swear, they actually used those very words) and were doing a fine job of it until the boards all shut down. Now it's funny to watch what's left of them running back and forth on what's left of the boards trying to find somebody to shun. I'm also going to hazzard a guess a few of them have found their way here and I'm also going to guess it won't take you guys too long to figure out who they are, new identities and all. These people have fouled every nest they've ever been in so please be advised and don't let it happen here. I like this place and it's people and I'd like to hang around.

This is just an observation on my part, but one I think might make an interesting discussion.

I've been a member of several political message boards for a few years. One thing that always strikes me is that in most cases, one side always dominates the other. By "side" I mean political "side." It seems that whichever side dominates, there is a core element that is intent on running the other side off the board.

IMO, this shows a lack of foresight, and objective analysis of the mechanics. The purpose of the board is political debate. There is no debate if only one side of the argument exists. All that remains is smacking each other on the ass for whatever.

I have watched a couple of message boards die for this very reason. Once the enclave has no one to run off, they get bored, attack one another, or find some other place to attempt a repeat performance, never considering that they are the means of their own destruction.

Coincidentally, or maybe not, almost without exception, this group is the weakest at actual intellectual debate on any topic.

Just wondering if anyone would like to add to, or express any thoughts on this.
one day when I couldn't sign on to this page it took me to another one when I google usmessageboard. One person commented that this place was ran by the right wing and they completly control the board!:eek:
I wouldn't change anything here though, you just learn who you can have an agruement with where they don't start the name calling and the ones who do. Some days it is nice to have a normal debate with someone and than some days when I want to vent it is nice to get in a pissing match with somone. And the only people I see being pushed out are the extremists or total wack jobs.
This board is a lot better than another board I belonged too but that has a lot to do with the people here and the mods. You can debate with someone and the next thread they are repping you or the other way around.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that enjoys a pissing match :D

I think it can be quite cathartic - but I do try to avoid getting into it with the more senstive types. :eusa_angel:

Like Mani :lol:

my problem is I always give up to early!

I think it can be quite cathartic - but I do try to avoid getting into it with the more senstive types. :eusa_angel:

I don't know if that's a problem - mine is my stubborness. I can be completely obdurate at times, especially if it's a pissing match. If I've been relatively objective in a thread I can back off or concede (I can!) or just lose interest and stop reading, but I do admit to being stubborn. I'm a Taurean, what can I say? :lol:

You have to understand that not every single person is knowledgable in debate and logic, and therefore many people do not even have any idea they are using strawmen.

If you want professional political debate, then maybe you should visit a board specifically for that?

Otherwise, why get turned off by amateurs with opinions? This is the internet, afterall.

Honestly, I think we are all aware that not every single person is knowledgible in debate and logic. What's completely amusing about it is those are the people who are usually completely confident about their superior intelligence to everyone who disagrees with them.

What I see going on (from my very limited experience here) is people presuming that someone is a liberal or conservative, and then basically ignoring what they write and going into ad homenin attack mode.

I think people do this because it is easier to attack a caracture you're making of the other than it is to actually have a serious discussion/debate about what they actually write.

I agree. I also think that alot of people dont like thinking. They just like pretending they are thinking.

I will say that many conservatives here are quick to flame someone for merely being a liberal, and use the term "liberal" as some sort of insult.

I rarely see the liberals here throw the term "conservative" around as an insult.

Liberals here are hated for merely being liberal, which seems ridiculous.

You're right. They prefer to use "Neo-con" to conservative. In addition to other words i wont repeat.

I would not call what occurs here a "debate". It's usually not even a "discussion".

Almost every thread starts with some article, spirals downward through strawmen and ends up in in personal attacks.

You have to understand that not every single person is knowledgable in debate and logic, and therefore many people do not even have any idea they are using strawmen.

If you want professional political debate, then maybe you should visit a board specifically for that?

Otherwise, why get turned off by amateurs with opinions? This is the internet, afterall.

Before coming to this one I spent some time at a couple of others. In each case when I left what I arrived at was an improvement. At the one two-back, there was almost a daily list of those who were banned for anywhere from a day or two up to a week and sometimes permanently. And on that one the topics almost always went something like this: "why Republicans are idiots", "Why Republicans are Racists", "Why Republicans must be eliminated", etc. When I commented inside a thread about what I considered some dysfunctional aspects of liberalism I was cautioned about it. I left and went to the next forum, which was better, but still had some of the same problems. Still the topics got to be too repititious and redundant.

This for me is a happy medium, and maybe more conservative than I have a right to expect, with a good give and take. I would not want to stay in a forum which was too much right, just the same as I didn't want to stay at one which was overwhelmingly left, prior to this.

To be perfectly clear on the subject, I would not want to live in a country that stayed too long conservative, as much as I wouldn't want to live in one too long being liberal. We seem to have to move forward in left and right steps, and public debate is important to allow that to happen. That is how debates take place. The debate we see in congress is not the real debate. The real debate takes place out here in the hinterlands, in the workplace, in the neighborhoods, across the lunch bench, even in the forums; I know I am mildly persuaded here from some of my more dogmatic postures. The more reasonable the argument the more amenable I am to considering it instead of simply moving on.

As far as topics spiraling down; that is not all bad. Some of it's amusing, and it keeps them alive. It's easy to ignore the chaff to glean some of the wheat, and humor is healthy too. Who wants to read dry humorless crap all of the time. I almost never use smilies, but I find them amusing, and sometimes disarming.

Last edited:

I don't know if that's a problem - mine is my stubborness. I can be completely obdurate at times, especially if it's a pissing match. If I've been relatively objective in a thread I can back off or concede (I can!) or just lose interest and stop reading, but I do admit to being stubborn. I'm a Taurean, what can I say? :lol:
I can be pretty stubborn at certain times. I also give up a lot more now due to the fact I don't have as much time to be on here. BY the time I get back the thread as moved on and there is no point anymore. When I first joined I would debate someone for a lot longer.
I also can admit I am wrong SOMETIMES, I had to do with Divecon one day and I hated it but I did it.

i love the neo cons...hell they make sealy looked bright...

(ready for incoming(

i hate liberal boards..where it is assume that i because i am liberal...i am anti gun..o hell no
i am anti states right....helll no

i hate bush...hell yes
but i digress....

i prefer boards with all types...makes it interesting and you do get to hear the other side

i love the neo cons...hell they make sealy looked bright...

(ready for incoming(

i hate liberal boards..where it is assume that i because i am liberal...i am anti gun..o hell no
i am anti states right....helll no

i hate bush...hell yes
but i digress....

i prefer boards with all types...makes it interesting and you do get to hear the other side
I have actually change my mind of a few things since coming here, it helped me become more informed on issues I knew really nothing about. I am against affirmative action now which had to do alittle with this board.
As for gun control I change my mind on that daily along with the death penality.
I do like to hear other point of views plus even though I don't agree with them on politics there are some really great people here no matter their if I don't agree with their beliefs.

Forum List

Back