Political Heroes?

draper

Jan 18, 2011
Boulder, CO
Do you have any?

Mine are;

Margaret Thatcher. For never being lost for words. For becoming Prime Minister of the UK when I was seven and making it the status quo for me that women could and did lead. A class act for which I have never seen repeated.

Nye Bevan. For being the architect of the NHS to the United Kingdom. Sure, it's a mess now, but he was the first to see that health care was available for all.

Lyndon B. Johnson for civil rights.

I'm sure you've probably had topics like this before, but I'm new, so humor me.

Sarah Palin of course she even completed half or so of her term as governor in spite of what those liberals did to her.

Aside from the obvious?

Daniel Moynihan
Dwight Eisenhower
Paul Volcker
Zbigniew Brzezinski
Gerald Ford

Those guys stand out..

George Washington, Ben Franklin, Mahatma Gandhi seem like the main ones. There are others I admire. But I don't know that I'd call them heroes.

Gerald Ford?

Isn't he the only president that never got elected?

He took over during a very difficult period. Did things that assured he wouldn't get re-elected for the good of the country. Exhibited a great deal of grace and good humor.

All in all..a great president..and very under rated.

Do you have any?

Mine are;

Margaret Thatcher. For never being lost for words. For becoming Prime Minister of the UK when I was seven and making it the status quo for me that women could and did lead. A class act for which I have never seen repeated.

Nye Bevan. For being the architect of the NHS to the United Kingdom. Sure, it's a mess now, but he was the first to see that health care was available for all.

LBJ ...created the fake "Tonkin Gulf" incident that got America into VietNam. Set the rules so that even if America won every battle we would lose the war. Tearfully gave up on prime time TV after Walter Cronkite turned America's victory of TET into a stalemate and told our enemies that we had enough which gave the VC enough momentum to turn defeat into victory.. Created the "great Society that tore old neighborhoods apart and replaced them with Russian type government made apartment developments that everyone hated. His "war on poverty" tore Black families apart. Possibly the worst president behind Carter.

Do you have any?

Mine are;

You think some politicians are hero's? Wow, now I have heard it all. :eek:

Do you have any?

Mine are;

LBJ ...created the fake "Tonkin Gulf" incident that got America into VietNam. Set the rules so that even if America won every battle we would lose the war. Tearfully gave up on prime time TV after Walter Cronkite turned America's victory of TET into a stalemate and told our enemies that we had enough which gave the VC enough momentum to turn defeat into victory.. Created the "great Society that tore old neighborhoods apart and replaced them with Russian type government made apartment developments that everyone hated. His "war on poverty" tore Black families apart. Possibly the worst president behind Carter.
while i'm no LBJ fan, there is SO much WRONG in your post
first off, we were already in Vietnam well before the Gulf Of Tonkin incident, and it wasnt all fake, but it was exaggerated

In the nation formerly known as the USA ? Sitting Bull.:eusa_shhh:
In America ( with an A) ?
Simon Bolivar,Oscar Arias, Michelle Bachelet, Lula,Hugo Chavez and Evo Morales.
This gentleman is rapidly earning a chance on the list. Jose Mujica

I suppose I shouldn't forget the Dalai Lama.:eusa_angel:

No I don't have any heros.

I do keep track of people who have done heroic things, though.

Bush I, for example.

When he heroically raised taxes, knowing full well it would cost him the reelection, he acted heroically on behalf of this nation's solvency.

Naturally his former supporters killed him politically for doing the right thing.

Forum List

Back