Political Fallout if Court Overturns Healthcare Act?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nodoginnafight, Apr 16, 2012.

1. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    If the Supreme Court overturns significant sections of the Universal Healthcare Act it would embarass the Obama administration, but would it undercut an issue that could be a GOP strength in the fall? Has the GOP (by nominating Romney) already lost any leverage on the issue? Does the left punish Obama or can he avoid fallout by throwing up his hands and saying, "I tried?"

2. FloridaGirl

FloridaGirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have seen different opinions on this. Some may think it is a benefit to Obama if parts of or all of the health care is overturned and some think it is an advantage for GOP. If a majority of people still is against the health care law, then maybe the party with most advantage will be the GOP. But it will be interesting to see what actually happens....guess in June before the summer recess.....or can they rule any time?:)

3. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    If the Supremes toss it, we enter a more chaotic state than an orderly legislative repeal process which would begin with a simple waiver for all 50 states by Romney.

The Democrats argument: 'We spent two years on it, shoved it thru like the totalitarians we are, and totally fucked it up in the process. Let us try again.'

The Republican argument: 'Obamacare is an embarrassing fuck up and an example of what happens when communists try to force their values thru on the rest of America. Time to let us tackle the healthcare problem the right way and create solutions that work for all Americans.'

The choice is not a hard decision to make for any reasonable person.

4. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    I think they can rule anytime - but I think they tried to set the expectation that nothing was gonna come until June.

I'm just wondering if it could wind up being a "be careful what you wish for" moment - but I can't imagine a Court-President squabble being to good for the prez

5. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,415
    There's nothing but upside to overturning this unconstitutional monstrosity,

6. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Sniperfire - you've just pointed out just how hyper-partisanship has distorted the issue. Those "communist values" (if you are reffering to the individual mandate) were first proposed by Republicans who only started opposing it when a Democrat got it passed.

But your post probably accurately describes how the Republicans will try to frame the debate.

Anyone care to take a stab at how Democrats will try to frame it?

7. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Soggy - what I'm trying to examine is the political fallout.

8. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    If it is overturned, that will increase pressure for a single-payer system, which might otherwise lie dormant a little longer. Republicans will be able to make use of this situation if and only if they come out advocating for single-payer, which is, needless to say, most unlikely.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    Romney had no leverage on Obama on the "Obamacare" issue, especially as "Romneycare" is part of the lexicon.

However, I don't see that the GOP gave up anything on the issue by nominating Romney. When it gets struck down (and it will), whether in part or in full, Obama will have an embarrassing few weeks, then he'll have a nice stump speech about activists judges, and then no one will care.

The SCOTUS ruling will effectively be the final word on Obamacare in July. By September, the national debate will be on to something else. Even if the GOP had gone with Santorum, Obamacare simply wouldn't be an issue come November.

10. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    Considering the GOP was pro-Mandate as a whole before Obama started talking about it, I'd have to hear a pretty detailed plan from the GOP before I trusted them on the issue again.

At this point, single payer is the long term inevitable solution. Especially if the only part of Obamacare struck down is the waiver. Without the income from the waiver, the insurance companies would collapse under the Pre-Existing, No Cap and Adult Dependent clauses which are all fairly popular with the voters.

What I absolutely will not support is the McCain plan, which was to actually tax my employer's contributions to my health insurance in order to try to dismantle the current system....without any kind of replacement system in place.