political equality vs. economic rights

Do you think the two can stand together?

I am not sure how you are equating the two, but here are my definitions IMO, and maybe you can explain why they should stand together in what way? Thks!

Political equality: Everyone has a right to vote & express their opinion of WE THE PEOPLE government. A 1st Amendment right.

Economic rights include the right to work, the right to the free choice of employment and to just and favourable conditions of work; the right to form and join trade unions: the right to strike; the right to social security; and the right to own property.

There are no "economic rights."
People forget that "rights" are rights against the law. Legislatures pass laws that might conflict with the rights we have, and are therefore unlawful.
There is no right TO anything. That is called an entitlement, not a right.

we can have both unfettered economic rights and political equality in America. Can both principles stand together? Why or why not?

This is more of what I was getting at :)

If it's accurate to say US GDP has increased five times since 1980 and middle to upper-middle class US families had maintained the same share of American productivity they held in 1980, those families would be earning an average of $12,500 more every year.

"But if earnings since 1980 were based on this measure of productiveness, the richest 1% of Americans would be making $1 trillion less per year.

"A trillion dollars a year. That's more than we spend on the entire military.

"A trillion dollars a year. That's seven times more than the budget deficits of all 50 states combined. Many states have been forced to cut police forces and teachers to balance their budgets.

"A trillion dollars a year. Yet Congress just voted to continue the Bush tax cuts.

"The richest 1% ($400,000 or more) didn't work harder than the rest of us. They profited from stock market gains, shrewdly designed financial instruments, and tax cuts."

The richest 1% also donate the most to Republican AND Democrat campaign coffers. There doesn't appear to be any realistic chance of rolling back the inequality gap in this country if we continue "choosing" between major party candidates.

The Big Obscenity:

People forget that "rights" are rights against the law. Legislatures pass laws that might conflict with the rights we have, and are therefore unlawful.

You fucking imbecile, what is the right to work law dumbass?

You have the "economic right" to earn as much money as you can, but no right to demand I give you any of mine.

Your another imbecile with his head up my ass. We the people demand it through taxes, and you pay it asshole!

we can have both unfettered economic rights and political equality in America. Can both principles stand together? Why or why not?

This is more of what I was getting at :)
If you're asking can we have a plutocracy AND a democracy, the most widely accepted answer is no.

In a country where money is "free" speech, those with the most money will dominate all conversations including the political.

You fucking imbecile, what is the right to work law dumbass?

Geez are you fucking stupid. Just unbelievable.

Forum List

Back