Political Debates

pegwinn

Top of the Food Chain
Apr 17, 2004
Texas
I have not seen any of the debates other than highlights. To be honest I think they are fairly
lame2.gif

What I would like to see is a round robin of one on ones. Paul v Huckabee v Romney v Rudy etc so that each candidate still in the race gets to go one on one with every other.

I would like to see them simply discuss/debate their entire platform/philosophy. Yeah, it would be a campaign ad, but it would get serious really quick.

These formats we are seeing, soundbytes designed to fit into eight minute slots between commercials.

I am kind of interested in the apparent anti-paul sentiment on a board that prides itself on being conservative and constitutional.

I am serious when I say this, but I would like to see a 10 hour debate by candidates, evaluating history and past policy on how we got to where our country is now, then see there responses to what we need to do and what policies our country should go.

Of course this would never happen, no American has the attention span for it and I think most Americans do not care about politics. Of course I don’t have time for 10 hours straight, but that is why youtube is so great.

An interesting fact. President Wilson provided the Bolshevik revolution $20 million dollars in 1917 (the group who overthrow the czar and instituted communism). This is reported in the congressional record, Wilson was given $100 million as a war budget and chose to give a fifth to the Bolsheviks. This was perhaps the biggest mistake the US ever made, no Wilson money no Soviet Union. Ironic for a man who was making the world safe for democracy. You won't read about this one in a history book.

Cynic hat on. I agree with you guys but most people do not have time for this and what would happen is the shear number of comments would generate interpretations that gave the wingnuts grist for calling the opponent every bad thing imaginable.

Based on last night's debate, I'd say that the candidates in large part are acting like a bunch of children.

This is serious shit here, and they think it's funny to laugh at another candidate, and make racial insinuations now, like McCain did.

I can't figure out if Romney is running for president, or Last Comic Standing. This isn't a joke, the fate of the country is at stake here.

Those guys from Fox News did a terrible job of asking questions. Like the one on how the surge is going, then asking RP again about 911, supporting the president, the context of the Iran question was asked poorly, etc. etc. Some people felt Thompson did great because of his NY Times comment, its great to show a lighter side but we got a stupid answer to a stupid question.

These debates I sometimes feel are set-up to have the candidates talk about nothing. I feel that some of them know nothing. Fox talks about the same things all of the time, Iraq, Iran, and taxes. All the networks pretty much do.

Forum List

Back