CDZ political correctness then and now

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
...I was reading a 1950s USMC magazine and one of the articles quotes a Marine call the Chinese ''gooks''
.....do you think an MSM article could publish something like this without a backlash?? would a military magazine be able to, without a big backlash???
..quoting derisive terms for the enemy?
servicemen still use terms like that
I think obviously there would be a bunch of bleeding hearts crying for the enemy

Last edited:
...I was reading a 1950s USMC magazine and one of the articles quotes a Marine call the Chinese ''gooks''
.....do you think an MSM article could publish something like this without a backlash?? would a military magazine be able to, without a big backlash???
I think obviously there would be a bunch of bleeding hearts crying for the enemy
I wonder how many of those US Marines were of Asian descent?

It was a different time. Americans of the 1950's were barbarians practicing segregation.

Check out this mess of an election we had just suffered through: United States presidential election, 1948 - Wikipedia

On some level we must judge people compared to their time, but man.

I wonder how many of those US Marines were of Asian descent?
...I wouldn't think too many...their population wasn't much and the USMC had way less personnel than the Army
Population Distribution by Age, Race, and Nativity, 1860–2010

It was a different time. Americans of the 1950's were barbarians practicing segregation.

Check out this mess of an election we had just suffered through: United States presidential election, 1948 - Wikipedia

On some level we must judge people compared to their time, but man.
barbarians? could not have been any worse than many other countries
Colombia, Northern Ireland, etc in the 50s, 60s and 70s were bloodbaths

Disparaging one's enemies in times of war (e.g., "Huns" in WW1) is common practice. If they want to take it personally, too bad.

Disparaging one's enemies in times of war (e.g., "Huns" in WW1) is common practice. If they want to take it personally, too bad.

I wonder if with the passage of time we have forgotten the single-mindedness we pursued the Great Patriotic War with. Or perhaps I am wrong, I did not live through it. The effort seems to have been greater than Korea, the Vietnam War, Grenada, Iraq1 or 2 and the War on Terror.

Still I wonder if the modern U.S. would not try to win a total war with a new enemy with a bit of love also.

Forum List

Back