Political Correctness Gone Haywire-Photo Of Marine in HS

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
First Harper's nonsense, now this. Site has links and photos:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/001931.htm

The principal of a high school in Salem, Ore., refuses to allow one of her students, Shea Riecke, to post a picture of her brother, a Marine, on a classroom bulletin board. Here is the photo. (Shea's brother, Cpl Bill Riecke, is on the right.)

Photo credit: Marine Corps Moms

Normally this sort of thing would pass unnoticed. But Shea's mother, Connie Riecke, is a blogger. On March 15, she wrote:

My 15 year old daughter, Shea, out of sheer pride, took a picture of her brother to her high school to share with a teacher. Her brother, Bill, also a graduate of Douglas McKay High School in Salem, Oregon, is a US Marine and a decorated veteran of the Iraq war. He has been deployed twice and will be returning this summer for his 3rd deployment to Iraq. Shea has had the unique experience of supporting her brother during his deployments and the true realization of what war means to the families of our Marines and soldiers in harms way.
Shea, a freshman at McKay, has become acquainted with one of her teachers that her brother also had while in school. Mr. Costa is a social studies teacher and football coach. Bill being a football star while in school and lettering all four years is well remembered by Mr. Costa. Mr. Costa has several pictures of McKay graduates hung in his classroom and Shea asked that if she brought a picture of Bill would he also hang it with the others. He of course said yes.

Shea proudly printed a picture of her brother and took it to school. The picture she selected is of her brother in Iraq, in combat uniform and holding a gun. Just, a typical picture of a Marine at work in a war zone. Mr. Costa asked the school administration for permission to hang the picture due to the graphic nature of the picture. He was denied, based on the fact that a gun is included in the picture. From there I’m told it was taken to the Salem-Keizer Administrative offices and it was scanned and the gun removed in order for it meet the guidelines of political correctness.

During an interview with KATU News, the school's principal, Cynthia Richardson, asked, "What message am I sending to my students if I post that picture?" But as KATU notes, the school's policy pertaining to weapons does not say anything about pictures of weapons. Indeed, the school's mascot, a Royal Scot, carries both a sword and a shield:

Photo credit: KATU News

When KATU News asked Richardson about the mascot's imagery, she said, "He has a sword. (That is) so true. We might have to revisit that."

Richardson has offered to post the picture of Riecke's brother with the guns digitally removed, KATU reports, but the Rieckes say that won't do:

"It's not just a picture in dress blues. It is a picture of real life and there are guns. And he just wants everyone to know that the war is still going on and it's real life," said Shea Riecke.

"We're very proud of him," said Shea's mom, Connie. "We're proud every day."

Hmmm - looked to me like those guys needed to spend less time posing for pictures and more time cleaning up those weapons.

Cute Brother!!!! :kiss2:

The guns do seem to the the focus of the picture. I don't have a problem with the school not putting it up.

If they were posing for the picture with a gun at their sides I would say they should have let her put up the picture. But, these guys are clearly showing off the guns.

Trigg said:

The guns do seem to the the focus of the picture. I don't have a problem with the school not putting it up.

If they were posing for the picture with a gun at their sides I would say they should have let her put up the picture. But, these guys are clearly showing off the guns.

It's a military thing....

Trigg said:

Whats wrong with showing off your second amendment rights?

If they didn't have their weapons with em, the Gunny would be screaming down their backs! ;)

Those teachers are so brainwashed. No guns are allowed in school - not even in pictures? That's bordering insanity.

ScreamingEagle said:
Those teachers are so brainwashed. No guns are allowed in school ....not even in pictures? That's bordering insanity.

Ya. That's really nuts! I have to wonder now if some right-wingers believe students should be required to carry fireams in school .... maybe some AK-47's! And I believe they are also calling for the right to arm bears.

(Post edited by moderator (Merlin1047) to re-insert pertinent passage to quoted material)

Itsthetruth said:
Ya. That's really nuts! I have to wonder now if some right-wingers believe students should be required to carry fireams in school .... maybe some AK-47's! And I believe they are also calling for the right to arm bears.

ITT - when you quote someone DO NOT distort or otherwise take the quote out of context.

While it is acceptable and even encouraged not to use the entire text of a long quote, MAKE SURE that you include enough of the quote to avoid altering it's meaning.

Itsthetruth said:

that was funny in your head huh .......... lost something going to print

Itsthetruth said:

(Post edited by moderator (Merlin1047) to re-insert pertinent passage to quoted material)

Ha. Ha. Ha. You have a :link: to back up your ridiculous assertion that gun-rights supporters want kids to carry in school?

Merlin1047 said:
ITT - when you quote someone DO NOT distort or otherwise take the quote out of context.

While it is acceptable and even encouraged not to use the entire text of a long quote, MAKE SURE that you include enough of the quote to avoid altering it's meaning.

Once again he proves that he is the Idiot!

ScreamingEagle Quote:

["Those teachers are so brainwashed. No guns are allowed in school - not even in pictures? That's bordering insanity".

I hope you don't suggest that students be required to carry AK-47's in school!

Itsthetruth said:

Nobody with an ounce, or more, of common sense would think he's suggesting kids be 'required' or even 'allowed' to carry guns in school.

Itsthetruth said:

I don't know if you have difficulty with reading comprehension of if you are merely being intentionally obtuse. SE's statement obviously offered the opinion that banning a PICTURE of a gun in school was poor policy.

Now kindly stop being an ass and address the issue of the post in an honest manner or do us all a favor and shut the hell up.

Merlin1047 said:

Good catch! :thup:

We used to carry guns to school to trade for stuff. I traded a 9 shot 22 target pistol to a teacher for a bicycle and then traded the bicycle for a 20 gage single barrel shotgun, all on school grounds. I still have the shotgun. But to be fair in my statement, that was many, many years ago. I'm glad I don't have any kids in school now though because I would probably stay in jail. My boy would carry a pocket knife, because that is what little boys do. And if they didn't like it, send me back to jail.

Merlin said:
We used to carry guns to school to trade for stuff. I traded a 9 shot 22 target pistol to a teacher for a bicycle and then traded the bicycle for a 20 gage single barrel shotgun, all on school grounds. I still have the shotgun. But to be fair in my statement, that was many, many years ago. I'm glad I don't have any kids in school now though because I would probably stay in jail. My boy would carry a pocket knife, because that is what little boys do. And if they didn't like it, send me back to jail.

Funny you mention that.... I was in a situation just yesterday where I needed a pocket knife and wished I had one then I started thinking.... damn, nobody carries a pocket knife anymore.... what has this world come to?

freeandfun1 said:
Funny you mention that.... I was in a situation just yesterday where I needed a pocket knife and wished I had one then I started thinking.... damn, nobody carries a pocket knife anymore.... what has this world come to?

I carry 5, yes 5, assorted sizes everywhere I go. I don't know how anyone can make it through the day without a pocket knife. They all would shave you too if you asked it to. My Case Old Yellow is my favorite.

Forum List

Back