Policy Challenge: Republicans VS Democrats VS Independents - PASS THE MIC

R

rdean

OK, elections are coming up. What policies would you like to see changed or approved after the next election.

Please try to stay away from “slogans and sound bytes”.

Remember, a “policy” is “comprehensive” so try to think of and answer the ramifications. You will be challenged.

I have a really good one on trade. I work at a company where 60% of the market is overseas so I am familiar with all the export “certifications”, CIC, TUV, CE, and ISO/IEC among others, and who has to pay for all that “certification” and what it means to American trade. I’m still working on it, but will post it later.

To all those people who think other’s “ideas” are “stupid”, here is a chance to show the world, or at least this board, just how “smart” you are.

Please refrain from, “that’s stupid” or “dipshit”. If you don’t like an idea, explain why.

Let’s see how well people can take being “challenged” in more ways than one.

Pass the Mic – NEXT!

The right can't be challenged. Why? Because they have no policies. They have ideology.

I want to see a legitimate effort made to crack down on employers of illegal aliens.

I want to be clear. Most illegal aliens come here for jobs. Jobs that we provide. They work in crazy, often illegal, conditions with no ability to get help changing their working environment due to fear they can be easily deported and replaced. This is the human rights issue of our time in the USA, and if we can crack down on employers we remove much of the incentive to cross the border. After that happens, picking out the drug runners would be easily done.

I want to invest in Nuclear Power.

I believe that the Earth has only finite resources for energy and that we're approaching a tipping point. If we are not using Nuclear power by the point that fossil fuels become scarce, as a race we are doomed. I want to see a massive investment in Nuclear power and the infrastructure to distribute it. I'm willing to open up drilling in all areas of the USA to help finance it. This country split the Atom, we can build clean and efficient energy too.

What I support simply isn't going to happen since both sides have embraced so much government intervention but what I'd LIKE is a government that get's out of my living and bedroom, a government that gets out of my wallet;either through taxation or inflation; a government that does not want to "spread mockracy" or police the world, a government that does not want to force me to help others;be it down the block, in another State or overseas and basically be as neutral when it comes to the economy,social morals, social programs and foreign policy as possible but like I stated, that ain't gonna happen, a big government "R" or a big government "D" is going to man the battleship while small government,fiscal cons remain in the back of the bus; perpetually frustrated.

On the illegal immigration issue: I'd like to see a crack-down on the actual companies that hire these people. Start fining them...heavily. If they are repeat offenders their business licences should be threatened. I think enforcing these simple steps will curb illegal immigration 60%-75% in 3 months.

I'd like the US military to monitor our polling places especially in the inner cities to make sure people only vote once and no boxes of ballots magically appear and to keep the New Black Panthers away from the entrances.

I would like to see "fair" trade.

I work at a company where 60% of it's business is overseas. To sell in Europe, you have to have all these certifications. To get these certifications, you have to be inspected. You have to pay for the inspectors and for the certification. The country you want to sell to doesn't worry about increasing it's bureaucracy because they make the people who want to sell in that country pay for the inspections and the inspectors.

We don't have that so much because our politicians are so easily bought.

So if I could change trade policy, I would make everyone who wants to sell here "certified". They would pay for the inspectors and the inspections. In fact, they would also have to prove they follow American "minimum" wage laws. Their workers that produce goods to be sold here must be paid "minimum wage". Then we could see "real" competition. And they couldn't pay their workers 100 bucks a month anymore.

That policy wouldn't affect anyone who sells us "oil" because that's all they sell.

But countries like China would be forced to compete for real. And that money they are spending to figure out how to knock our satellites out of space would dry up real quick. This would be a good way to make American business stop building up communist countries and focus on rebuilding the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would LOVE to see a change in foreign policy to a more non interventionist one. Support our troops....bring them home.

Repeal Medicare Part D, it is a huge corporate subsidy program and do the same with Obamacare for the same reason.

Allow people to enroll in or out of Medicare Part "C" when they want or repeal it too since it also is a huge corporate subsidy.

Repeal "No Child Left Behind.

Abolish foreign welfare.

Get out of the daycare business concerning marijuana, let adults be adults.

Allow true free trade, if I want to trade with fucking Cuba, Iran or North Korea, it's my business, if I want to bring sugar cane in from Brazil then so be it, if I want to buy a car made in Brazil that drives on that then that is my right, not Uncle Sam's!

Last edited:
I would LOVE to see a change in foreign policy to a more non interventionist one. Support our troops....bring them home.

Repeal Medicare Part D, it is a huge corporate subsidy program and do the same with Obamacare for the same reason.

Allow people to enroll in or out of Medicare Part "C" when they want or repeal it too since it also is a huge corporate subsidy.

Abolish foreign welfare.

Allow true free trade, if I want to trade with fucking Cuba, Iran or North Korea, it's my business, if I want to bring sugar cane in from Brazil then so be it, if I want to buy a car made in Brazil that drives on that then that is my right, not Uncle Sam's!

What is it about the recently passed health care bill you don't like. I thought it was great for the middle class, only it didn't go far enough.

Abolish foreign welfare.

What is it about the recently passed health care bill you don't like. I thought it was great for the middle class, only it didn't go far enough.

Well, I have not gone through the entire 2000 pages yet but I don't like the idea of subsidizing insurance companies for one. I think government intervention has done more to mess our insurance and healthcare up than anything, I also hate that insurance is coupled with employment, most are a layoff away from being screwed, single payor is bad but it beats group because of that alone.imho

Can't speak to John's problems with it, but I was pretty disgusted with it. There were really only two viable options: Do Nothing or institute a Federal Insurance Program to cover everyone.

Instead we went with Option Stupid: give lots of money to insurance companies and not really change anything.

The folks that can't afford their care still can't. You can try to penalize them for not having coverage, but good luck squeezing blood from a stone. The people that have coverage like me are still going to end up paying for people without insurance through higher hospital costs and premiums. The only real thing it accomplishes is a move towards dismantling employer supported insurance programs in favor of the less comprehensive and less affordable single payer options.

I actually would have supported a federal plan. I grew up without insurance. I remember what it was like to live in fear of tanking the whole family budget, losing the house, and facing economic ruin because Mom or Dad had to have a life saving surgery. Or being unable to afford Dad's medication and having to get by on handouts from the drug companies (thank God for them). Or having to power through illness because you just can't afford the Doctor's fee. It sucks. I'm lucky to have improved my lot in life enough that I have a good income and can afford insurance. Lots of other folks can't.

As we're cutting government departments

John Mackey: The Whole Foods Alternative to ObamaCare - WSJ.com

• Remove the legal obstacles that slow the creation of high-deductible health insurance plans and health savings accounts (HSAs). The combination of high-deductible health insurance and HSAs is one solution that could solve many of our health-care problems. For example, Whole Foods Market pays 100% of the premiums for all our team members who work 30 hours or more per week (about 89% of all team members) for our high-deductible health-insurance plan. We also provide up to $1,800 per year in additional health-care dollars through deposits into employees' Personal Wellness Accounts to spend as they choose on their own health and wellness.

Money not spent in one year rolls over to the next and grows over time. Our team members therefore spend their own health-care dollars until the annual deductible is covered (about $2,500) and the insurance plan kicks in. This creates incentives to spend the first $2,500 more carefully. Our plan's costs are much lower than typical health insurance, while providing a very high degree of worker satisfaction.

• Equalize the tax laws so that employer-provided health insurance and individually owned health insurance have the same tax benefits. Now employer health insurance benefits are fully tax deductible, but individual health insurance is not. This is unfair.

• Repeal all state laws which prevent insurance companies from competing across state lines. We should all have the legal right to purchase health insurance from any insurance company in any state and we should be able use that insurance wherever we live. Health insurance should be portable.

• Repeal government mandates regarding what insurance companies must cover. These mandates have increased the cost of health insurance by billions of dollars. What is insured and what is not insured should be determined by individual customer preferences and not through special-interest lobbying.

• Enact tort reform to end the ruinous lawsuits that force doctors to pay insurance costs of hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. These costs are passed back to us through much higher prices for health care.

• Make costs transparent so that consumers understand what health-care treatments cost. How many people know the total cost of their last doctor's visit and how that total breaks down? What other goods or services do we buy without knowing how much they will cost us?

• Enact Medicare reform. We need to face up to the actuarial fact that Medicare is heading towards bankruptcy and enact reforms that create greater patient empowerment, choice and responsibility.

• Finally, revise tax forms to make it easier for individuals to make a voluntary, tax-deductible donation to help the millions of people who have no insurance and aren't covered by Medicare, Medicaid or the State Children's Health Insurance Program.

Forum List

Back