Policing the Thought Police...............

Sounds like a great idea to me. But I am sure the ACLU will run to the defence of the Uni's and such.

While I tend to agree with this guy, I always find it interesting that the right wing in this country only supports free speech when people are saying what they want to hear. Both the far right and the far left support censorship, but for vastly different reasons. The far right wants to control thought and information to keep people from asking too many questions. The far left wants to control thought and information to protect people from being offended.

The ACLU, has by the way, gone to bat against speech codes on University campuses. Also, btw, I do not equate the idea that speech to threaten or intimidate is the same as speech in support of or opposition to a certain group and/or idea. Campuses should have policies against speech specifically designed to threaten or intimidate students because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc. This allows for an open, diverse campus environment. I, however, draw the line at "codes". I think most people are capable of figuring out if someone is just blowing smoke up their derriers of if they are actually threatening them.

acludem

acludem

acludem said:
While I tend to agree with this guy, I always find it interesting that the right wing in this country only supports free speech when people are saying what they want to hear. Both the far right and the far left support censorship, but for vastly different reasons. The far right wants to control thought and information to keep people from asking too many questions. The far left wants to control thought and information to protect people from being offended.

The ACLU, has by the way, gone to bat against speech codes on University campuses. Also, btw, I do not equate the idea that speech to threaten or intimidate is the same as speech in support of or opposition to a certain group and/or idea. Campuses should have policies against speech specifically designed to threaten or intimidate students because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc. This allows for an open, diverse campus environment. I, however, draw the line at "codes". I think most people are capable of figuring out if someone is just blowing smoke up their derriers of if they are actually threatening them.

acludem

acludem

The far left wants thought control and information to protect people form being offended? What a bunch of garbage ! They want power--pure and simple. The most vile form of thought control are lies that come disquised as "truth" and "education" . Political conversion is neither. Your smoke didn't even get close to my ass.

Mr. P said:
I am sure you could provide (valid) examples of each...right? I'd love to see em..

Edit: Opps that was for aclu..I'm still getting the hang of the board.

Good idea to clear that up or Sandy would probably give some very scary links!
:teeth:

dilloduck said:
The far left wants thought control and information to protect people form being offended? What a bunch of garbage ! They want power--pure and simple. The most vile form of thought control are lies that come disquised as "truth" and "education" . Political conversion is neither. Your smoke didn't even get close to my ass.

Acludem just proved our point Dilloduck with his entire post :dance:

Forum List

Back