Policing for Profit is ubiguitous

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
Not just a Ferguson issue. Drop in traffic tickets has Supreme Court near broke chief justice says Las Vegas Review-Journal
CARSON CITY — A trend of fewer traffic tickets being written by police around the state may be a boon for motorists, but it is creating a financial crisis for the Nevada Supreme Court.

Chief Justice James Hardesty recently told a panel of state lawmakers the court will go broke by May 1 if the Legislature does not provide emergency funding to keep it functioning.

The court receives millions of dollars each year for its budget from assessments on traffic and parking tickets that range from $30 to $120 per citation.

Not just a Ferguson issue. Drop in traffic tickets has Supreme Court near broke chief justice says Las Vegas Review-Journal
CARSON CITY — A trend of fewer traffic tickets being written by police around the state may be a boon for motorists, but it is creating a financial crisis for the Nevada Supreme Court.

Chief Justice James Hardesty recently told a panel of state lawmakers the court will go broke by May 1 if the Legislature does not provide emergency funding to keep it functioning.

The court receives millions of dollars each year for its budget from assessments on traffic and parking tickets that range from $30 to $120 per citation.
Justice for profit and/or for monetary gains is corrupting the police officers, and it is leading to many forms of abuses to take place in the nation by these officers. It's sad, but I believe it's true.

I am an upstanding citizen in society, and I was stopped one time in a traffic stop, but was treated as if I had robbed a bank. Then when I called to complain, they circled the wagons for the abusive officer. This came back to haunt them badly down the road, because when it was all said and done they had to fire the guy, and then all kinds of problems stimmed from that situation also. People don't deserve to be abused by the police nor they by the people, but we have a real crisis going on now, and it appears that the law has some serious house cleaning of it's own to do lately.

Justice for profit and/or for monetary gains is corrupting the police officers, and it is leading to many forms of abuses to take place in the nation by these officers. It's sad, but I believe it's true.

I am an upstanding citizen in society, and I was stopped one time in a traffic stop, but was treated as if I had robbed a bank. Then when I called to complain, they circled the wagons for the abusive officer. This came back to haunt them badly down the road, because when it was all said and done they had to fire the guy, and then all kinds of problems stimmed from that situation also. People don't deserve to be abused by the police nor they by the people, but we have a real crisis going on now, and it appears that the law has some serious house cleaning of it's own to do lately.
Grew up in Cuyahoga Falls Ohio in the 50's and 6o's.
The city built a new police station. Everyone got tickets
Nothing new here.

There is little doubt that V&T violations are often a main revenue source for a geographical jurisdiction. Unless the Law Enforcement agencies break the law the best solution is to obey the posted signs or pony up. The tricky part comes up when the voters sustain crooked enforcement and bad justice. Who do we blame on that count?

There is little doubt that V&T violations are often a main revenue source for a geographical jurisdiction. Unless the Law Enforcement agencies break the law the best solution is to obey the posted signs or pony up. The tricky part comes up when the voters sustain crooked enforcement and bad justice. Who do we blame on that count?
The rebellious atmosphere in Ferguson, MO, has brought the rule book down hard but the police in that part of the Nation are not the only ones who are feeling pressure from above. Police all over America are being told to avoid negative publicity even if it means tolerating a lot of verbal abuse on traffic stops. So the obvious solution to that problem is to avoid making traffic stops, which means reduced summons revenue.

It's called a job action and it's the way cops have of saying I"Oh, yeah?"[/i] when they feel unjustly constrained.

So, we'll see what comes of it.

Forum List

Back