Police Who Made Teenagers Do Push-ups Face Punishment

Mark my words........

The next thing we will hear about this incident is that the parents are suing the police officers, the police dept., and the city, for millions of dollars.

And no doubt the ACLU will be saying the teen's civil rights were violated and that a dozen push-ups were cruel and unusual punishment.

I could not agree more. This situation is ripe for the picking of an opportunistic parent and rather than have a lesson taught that would speak to the character of these people a parent may want the lesson the lesson that money is the most important thing.

"Four police officers in Rhode Island are being investigated for making five boys do pushups on the side of a street as punishment for damaging a mailbox.

"Acting North Providence Police Chief Paul Martellini said a woman called police Friday morning to report her mailbox was damaged. Officers soon found a bright yellow sports car that matched the description, he said. Several teenagers were inside.

Mayor Charles Lombardi told WPRO-AM on Monday the officers thought the best way to reprimand the teens was to have them do pushups.

A neighbor videotaped the stop from across the street and posted it online. It was first reported by WJAR-TV.

The video shows four police cars parked in a residential neighborhood behind a yellow car. People can be seen doing more than a dozen pushups next to the police cars while four uniformed officers watched. Once they were done doing pushups, they were allowed to leave."
Police Who Made Teenagers Do Push-ups In Rhode Island Face Punishment

This was probably the most effective type of "punishment" these people could receive. Should act as a nice deterrent for any future clownishness.

Yeah I understand and in this case I can see why it seems OKAY to let the pigs mete out punishment.

And if every cop was as sage as these guys seem to be I'd be on board with you.

Sadly most cops I know aren't so wise.

Sure enough, the MOMENT we gives cops this kind of discretion we'd begin hearing about cops meting out punishments that were wildly inappropriate.

Personally I think we need to do a much MUCH better job of hiring cops.

We need to weed out people who cannot handle the power the badge gives them.

I am not suggesting that all cops in all situations should have latitude to mete out punishments at all. I am saying this isolated situation garnered much more importance than it should have . This police department is in trouble and in the spotlight after there former Chief covered up a theft by a sergeant. The victim of the actual crime chose not to press charges which is why the police let these people go. The push up "punishment" was silly at worst and a lesson learned at best. However, now this is public the police department will have to address this in a more formal fashion.

I worry about the next group of kids who pull a similar stunt. Even if the officers are not punished, it sends a message to other officers and thay will fel the need to chase down and aprehend the perps (hope they hurt them too bad arresting them) and put then in a detention center (if it is mailboxes, move then to a federal detention center) where their parents can evetually bail them out unless they are willing to pleade guilty and take the criminal record.

I know that it was my son, I would rather have him do 10 pushups than 10 day and a lifelong record.

I had a friend who urinated on a neighbors lawn and his family would have loved to see him do 1000 pushups instead of the 20 year sentence that he got. they said that pissing on the lawn was a hate crime

That's outrageous, and a huge waste of taxpayer money. No wonder we have the highest number of incarcerated people per capita of any country.

Forum List

Back