Police Who Made Teenagers Do Push-ups Face Punishment

Technically I agree, as a former line officer I do not see anything wrong with this. Depending on how this was actually carried out it could build a sense of community. "Due process" could have gotten these people a criminal record.

That's the way I look at it. Technically, the officers should not have been doing that, but the police have done things outside due process for a long, long time. While technically it's not how it should be done, personally, if I were a teen and given the choice between doing some pushups or have a spot on my record, I would opt for the former every time. I personally would have been grateful.

As far as I am concerned the cops did these kids a favor, a very big favor.

They probably did. The fact is the cops don't have leg to stand on legally. They can be sued justifiably. However, it is a shame that they are. In my younger, more irresponsible days, I was fucked with by cops on a couple of occasions, but ultimately was glad I was let go instead of booked, especially since I was in the wrong. Now, many years later, I have nothing on my record, and even though they weren't exactly acting "by the book," I can tell you I'm grateful. But that's just me. On the surface I would say these kids are probably lacking that valuable perspective.

That's the way I look at it. Technically, the officers should not have been doing that, but the police have done things outside due process for a long, long time. While technically it's not how it should be done, personally, if I were a teen and given the choice between doing some pushups or have a spot on my record, I would opt for the former every time. I personally would have been grateful.

They probably did. The fact is the cops don't have leg to stand on legally. They can be sued justifiably. However, it is a shame that they are. In my younger, more irresponsible days, I was fucked with by cops on a couple of occasions, but ultimately was glad I was let go instead of booked, especially since I was in the wrong. Now, many years later, I have nothing on my record, and even though they weren't exactly acting "by the book," I can tell you I'm grateful. But that's just me. On the surface I would say these kids are probably lacking that valuable perspective.

It was a very balmy and beautiful summer evening, I was a very young cop on foot patrol, I came upon a teen smoking pot. I made an on the spot decision, I told him to put it out. He did, I just looked and said, I hope you understand the gift you have just been given". He later came to me and thanked me for not ruining his life. He was a decent guy who later wanted to be law enforcement.

Sometimes a breaking a rule is the right thing to do.

This was a relatively petty offense committed by minors. Any review board or internal affairs hearing should rule in the officers favor. Intent is important in any situation. And in this case, the officers intent was to provide a just outcome for everyone involved: the community, the victims, and the offenders. I say they did nothing wrong. Ruling against the officers would have a chilling effect for future cases, and officers might not be as inclined to give minors committing petty offenses the same chance; a disappointing outcome. There would have been a difference had the officers taken the law into their own hands by shooting the teenagers for their infraction. It is clear to a reasonable person that the latter would have produced a much less desirable and just outcome for the parties involved.

Something similar to what happened to these teens happened to me as a teenager one Halloween. Some friends and I had the bright idea to leave a flaming brown bag with dog poo inside it on someones porch. Apparently the police had seen us and apprehended us a couple blocks down dousing the cold water of the law on our post-prank giddiness. We were made to personally apologize to the homeowner, and then were ordered to do push ups. I was very thankful those officers did that and allowed us to emerge unscathed without so much as a PTA. I would hope that any officers that would catch my kid doing something like that, would do the the same for them as well. I don't want this to create a chilling effect for this type of positive, proactive police work.

"Four police officers in Rhode Island are being investigated for making five boys do pushups on the side of a street as punishment for damaging a mailbox.

"Acting North Providence Police Chief Paul Martellini said a woman called police Friday morning to report her mailbox was damaged. Officers soon found a bright yellow sports car that matched the description, he said. Several teenagers were inside.

Mayor Charles Lombardi told WPRO-AM on Monday the officers thought the best way to reprimand the teens was to have them do pushups.

A neighbor videotaped the stop from across the street and posted it online. It was first reported by WJAR-TV.

The video shows four police cars parked in a residential neighborhood behind a yellow car. People can be seen doing more than a dozen pushups next to the police cars while four uniformed officers watched. Once they were done doing pushups, they were allowed to leave."

This was probably the most effective type of "punishment" these people could receive. Should act as a nice deterrent for any future clownishness.

While we wait for the link, perhaps you can explain why the officers might be subject to investigation.
Tissue?

It was a very balmy and beautiful summer evening, I was a very young cop on foot patrol, I came upon a teen smoking pot. I made an on the spot decision, I told him to put it out. He did, I just looked and said, I hope you understand the gift you have just been given". He later came to me and thanked me for not ruining his life. He was a decent guy who later wanted to be law enforcement.

Sometimes a breaking a rule is the right thing to do.

That's really the bigger picture, and something the litigants clearly lack a perspective on. Nowadays any blemish on one's record destroys opportunities. It's just the way it is.

When I served in the military I admitted to smoking pot even though I could easily have lied and suffered no consequences. Just admitting to an activity for which there was no record damaged my opportunities. There are high levels of security clearances that I will never be able to get because of that waiver and I sometimes wonder if my honesty was foolish. But they pressured me, and I'm essentially an honest person, so I caved.

Anyway, that's the world we live in. The officers were clearly doing them a favor, whether or not they are bright enough to realize it.

"Four police officers in Rhode Island are being investigated for making five boys do pushups on the side of a street as punishment for damaging a mailbox.

"Acting North Providence Police Chief Paul Martellini said a woman called police Friday morning to report her mailbox was damaged. Officers soon found a bright yellow sports car that matched the description, he said. Several teenagers were inside.

Mayor Charles Lombardi told WPRO-AM on Monday the officers thought the best way to reprimand the teens was to have them do pushups.

A neighbor videotaped the stop from across the street and posted it online. It was first reported by WJAR-TV.

The video shows four police cars parked in a residential neighborhood behind a yellow car. People can be seen doing more than a dozen pushups next to the police cars while four uniformed officers watched. Once they were done doing pushups, they were allowed to leave."
Police Who Made Teenagers Do Push-ups In Rhode Island Face Punishment

This was probably the most effective type of "punishment" these people could receive. Should act as a nice deterrent for any future clownishness.

late 60s early 70s.....the judge would give them a choice...jail or army...they got off easy
If the little jerks had been sent to my court, I would have put them in detention, bring the shop teacher in with some tin and snips and make the twits make new waterproofed and sealed mailboxes with a pickup flag in place apiece that looked better than the one they abused, and donated the rest to anyone who recently had their mailboxes bungled up by unknown varmints. And if 50 people had recently had mailboxes bungled up, they'd have to do 50. :muahaha:

It only takes 10 seconds to raise an axe and damage a mailbox. It would take a beginning welder a long day or even a week to build a good, sturdy one to last a lifetime and better than a commercial one.

"The mayor said officers took the law into their own hands, which he called it unacceptable.

Correct, all persons are entitled to due process, regardless their age or crime; law enforcement doesn’t determine guilt or punishment.

Technically I agree, as a former line officer I do not see anything wrong with this. Depending on how this was actually carried out it could build a sense of community. "Due process" could have gotten these people a criminal record.

My problem with it is absent concrete proof that these were the perps the punishment if meted out to wholly innocent teens was a gross violation of their rights. No matter how trivial the punishment was, if it were me, and I was innoent I would have told the cop to go pound sand.

That would inevitably have led to real trouble. But then again I was and still am a stickler for the Constitution and the protections from an over reaching government it affords.

Just a "dozen"?

Without wanting imply that I am/was made of sterner stuff, my brother and I were apprehended whilst drunk and disorderly by the local constabulary when we were teenagers. In turn, we both had our arms pinned behind our backs back at the police station while the custody sargeant knee'd us in the balls until we threw-up (supposedly to empty our stomachs of any remaining alcohol). We spent the rest of the night in the cells, sobbing while gently cradling our throbbing plums.

Correct, all persons are entitled to due process, regardless their age or crime; law enforcement doesn’t determine guilt or punishment.

My problem with it is absent concrete proof that these were the perps the punishment if meted out to wholly innocent teens was a gross violation of their rights. No matter how trivial the punishment was, if it were me, and I was innoent I would have told the cop to go pound sand.

That would inevitably have led to real trouble. But then again I was and still am a stickler for the Constitution and the protections from an over reaching government it affords.

Everyone's views on here can only be predicated on the assumption that the cops knew that they had the right kids - they may have owned up.
The principles are worth discussing though.

Personally, I like the idea of having community-based cops that have enough common sense and backing of the community to mete out punishment on minor infractions.
It's a shame when when due process is the first and only course.

I understand that there are risks of course.

This type of very soft discipline is just what is needed to stop society thugs thinking that they have a right to do whatever they like, objectionable, illegal or not!

Who is more of a wimp ...the kids or their parents with their wimpish outlook!!!

This type of very soft discipline is just what is needed to stop society thugs thinking that they have a right to do whatever they like, objectionable, illegal or not!

Who is more of a wimp ...the kids or their parents with their wimpish outlook!!!

Having said that, though, public acceptance of this kind of kangaroo court punishment can lead to the enforcers (police) becoming the "society thugs."

Having said that, though, public acceptance of this kind of kangaroo court punishment can lead to the enforcers (police) becoming the "society thugs."

Police becoming "society thugs" because they made them do push-ups?

Push-ups don't equate to police thuggery!

Give me a break!

Give me a break!

I think you misundertood what I'm suggesting. I'm not saying that making a group of what we're told were the culprits do a few push-ups by the curb makes the attending officers "society thugs." No, what I'm trying to impress is that if this became the norm, thus chipping away at the notion of due process, we could end-up in a situation where the police become a law unto themselves.

There is nothing to suggest that they were innocent. I understand what you are saying, but the alternative is to cuff them, haul them into jail, have their parents pick them up, and then have them appear before a judge. Is that really the better choice and best use of resources for such a petty offense? In my opinion, law enforcement around the country have been getting over zealous as it is, hauling people into jail as the benchmark for just about everything these days. Sometimes common sense needs to prevail, which is what these officers used, as far as I'm concerned.

Give me a break!

I think you misundertood what I'm suggesting. I'm not saying that making a group of what we're told were the culprits do a few push-ups by the curb makes the attending officers "society thugs." No, what I'm trying to impress is that if this became the norm, thus chipping away at the notion of due process, we could end-up in a situation where the police become a law unto themselves.

I still stand by what I said... the Police is there to enforce Law and Order after all.

And I think you must allow the Police a margin of freedom, a certain leeway in their actions.

There is nothing to suggest that they were innocent. I understand what you are saying, but the alternative is to cuff them, haul them into jail, have their parents pick them up, and then have them appear before a judge. Is that really the better choice and best use of resources for such a petty offense? In my opinion, law enforcement around the country have been getting over zealous as it is, hauling people into jail as the benchmark for just about everything these days. Sometimes common sense needs to prevail, which is what these officers used, as far as I'm concerned.

What makes you think they would have to be run through the system? Referring a case to the DA is at the discretion of the cops. They could certainly haul them down to the jail and call the parents. That would elicit an even better response if they were truly guilty. Also it would put the parents on notice of what little junior and his friends are up to.

Meting out curbside justice is fraught with terrible consequences. Please note I am all for proper punishment. But this is the beginning of a very slippery slope whose end is never good for anyone.

Forum List

Back