Police Who Made Teenagers Do Push-ups Face Punishment

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
"Four police officers in Rhode Island are being investigated for making five boys do pushups on the side of a street as punishment for damaging a mailbox.

"Acting North Providence Police Chief Paul Martellini said a woman called police Friday morning to report her mailbox was damaged. Officers soon found a bright yellow sports car that matched the description, he said. Several teenagers were inside.

Mayor Charles Lombardi told WPRO-AM on Monday the officers thought the best way to reprimand the teens was to have them do pushups.

A neighbor videotaped the stop from across the street and posted it online. It was first reported by WJAR-TV.

The video shows four police cars parked in a residential neighborhood behind a yellow car. People can be seen doing more than a dozen pushups next to the police cars while four uniformed officers watched. Once they were done doing pushups, they were allowed to leave."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...e-island_n_2193756.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news

This was probably the most effective type of "punishment" these people could receive. Should act as a nice deterrent for any future clownishness.

Last edited:
"Four police officers in Rhode Island are being investigated for making five boys do pushups on the side of a street as punishment for damaging a mailbox.

"Acting North Providence Police Chief Paul Martellini said a woman called police Friday morning to report her mailbox was damaged. Officers soon found a bright yellow sports car that matched the description, he said. Several teenagers were inside.

Mayor Charles Lombardi told WPRO-AM on Monday the officers thought the best way to reprimand the teens was to have them do pushups.

A neighbor videotaped the stop from across the street and posted it online. It was first reported by WJAR-TV.

The video shows four police cars parked in a residential neighborhood behind a yellow car. People can be seen doing more than a dozen pushups next to the police cars while four uniformed officers watched. Once they were done doing pushups, they were allowed to leave."

This was probably the most effective type of "punishment" these people could receive. Should act as a nice deterrent for any future clownishness.

"That's nice work boys"

Attachments

• $wiggum-chief.gif
    $wiggum-chief.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 89

While we wait for the link, perhaps you can explain why the officers might be subject to investigation.

• Banned

While we wait for the link, perhaps you can explain why the officers might be subject to investigation.

As far as I am concerned the motivation for any reprimand is based on PR as the former Chief was "recently convicted of stealing money from a stripper's pocketbook after a car chase last year."

The acting Chief wants to decide whether the actions were appropriate.

"The mayor said officers took the law into their own hands, which he called it unacceptable. He wants the officers suspended.

"You can't fix stupid. I think that's the only explanation here," Lombardi told WPRO."

• Banned
"The mayor said officers took the law into their own hands, which he called it unacceptable.

Correct, all persons are entitled to due process, regardless their age or crime; law enforcement doesn’t determine guilt or punishment.

Technically I agree, as a former line officer I do not see anything wrong with this. Depending on how this was actually carried out it could build a sense of community. "Due process" could have gotten these people a criminal record.

"The mayor said officers took the law into their own hands, which he called it unacceptable.
Correct, all persons are entitled to due process, regardless their age or crime; law enforcement doesn’t determine guilt or punishment.

Technically I agree, as a former line officer I do not see anything wrong with this. Depending on how this was actually carried out it could build a sense of community. "Due process" could have gotten these people a criminal record.
Cops Enforce the Law, they're not Social Workers.

They should be part of the community as well.

This is not social work this is police work. There is more to patrolling a street than simply enforcing the law. Moreover, it is done all the time. A cop deciding not to give a speeding ticket, because of extenuating circumstances, for example. Using discretion when appropriate can work to everyone advantage and keep crime down and community involvement up.

Police Who Made Teenagers Do Push-ups In Rhode Island Face Punishment

surely you jest.

surely you jest.

No

late 60s early 70s.....the judge would give them a choice...jail or army...they got off easy

That's the way I look at it. Technically, the officers should not have been doing that, but the police have done things outside due process for a long, long time. While technically it's not how it should be done, personally, if I were a teen and given the choice between doing some pushups or have a spot on my record, I would opt for the former every time. I personally would have been grateful.

That's the way I look at it. Technically, the officers should not have been doing that, but the police have done things outside due process for a long, long time. While technically it's not how it should be done, personally, if I were a teen and given the choice between doing some pushups or have a spot on my record, I would opt for the former every time. I personally would have been grateful.

As far as I am concerned the cops did these kids a favor, a very big favor.

Forum List

Back