Police use taser on Kent resident, Man tased while his Crain Ave. home burns

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Police use taser on Kent resident - News

Police used a Taser gun to restrain a resident outside of his home on Crain Avenue as it burned at about 4:30 a.m. Sunday.

The resident, Mike Bartlett, said he was returning from downtown for his cell phone when he noticed his sister's room on fire. He ran in to make sure she was not there and continued to find his friends in the basement and alert them of the fire. He said his cousin's girlfriend was sleeping upstairs so he went back in the house to retrieve her.

"As I was running downstairs, I could hear the window glass popping because of the heat," Bartlett said.

When he went got outside, Bartlett said police officers were at the end of the driveway. He said he approached them for help, but they dismissed him. As he walked toward one of his friends, he said the officers tackled and restrained him with the Taser gun, giving them no reason for their force.

Bartlett used psychological and physical active resistance to avoid arrest. The report stated he was both combative and intoxicated. No one from the Police Department was available for comment.

Bartlett said he was not offered medical attention by the officers. Instead, he was taken directly to the police station. Bartlett went to the hospital following his court appearance Sunday. He said he was treated for first- and second-degree burns.

So let's recap. More police who think they ARE the law and can do whatever they want. And more abuse of the taser. I swear, every day it's a new story with more fucked up events occurring.

I loved the "psychological resistance" part though. I'm assuming he's a Jedi? :eusa_eh:

This story just continues to amaze me as I reread it.

Another example of why police simply can't be trusted to have their little torture toys.

I've never seen a perp who wasn't standing around minding his own business when the police showed up and roughed him up for no reason at all.

The truth is usually that the guy was out of control, drunk/high, getting abusive and not obeying police commands.
I interact a fair amount with police. I'd say about 97% are very decent guys (and gals) doing an unpleasant and often boring job frequently out of a sense of duty. About 3% are sleazebags who get off on inflicting their power on someone else.
In Chicago that percentage is probably reversed.

Someone who is "combative and intoxicated" needs to be grappled with, not Tasered. It seems there was more than one cop on scene, so the argument that a lone cop had to do it is sort of lost. My understanding of the place of the Taser in the use of force continuum is that it's an alternative to a firearm and that leads me to think that the Taser should be used against knife-edged weapons. From the stuff I read it seems that it is being use for compliance in the place of physical grappling and I don't think that's what it's meant for.

As for 97% cops being good, 3% being bad Rabbi, I take your point but the truth is a little more complex I'm afraid. A very small minority of cops are bad but they manage to hide it or they rely on the solidarity thing to keep operating. The huge majority of cops are decent people who at times lose it and if they're caught on camera they're labelled as being of the very small minority of bad cops. Just my take on it.

As for 97% cops being good, 3% being bad Rabbi, I take your point but the truth is a little more complex I'm afraid. A very small minority of cops are bad but they manage to hide it or they rely on the solidarity thing to keep operating. The huge majority of cops are decent people who at times lose it and if they're caught on camera they're labelled as being of the very small minority of bad cops. Just my take on it.

and a very reasonable one Di....

Generally speaking, how many times do you have to read a straightforward article before comprehension skills kick in?

Just wonderin'.

Well considering I first read this article at 4 am, I wanted to reread it in case I missed anything. You just entered this thread to be a bitch, congratulations.

You like to paint yourself as fair and quite balanced. However, it's posts like that which say otherwise.

Generally speaking, how many times do you have to read a straightforward article before comprehension skills kick in?

Just wonderin'.

Well considering I first read this article at 4 am, I wanted to reread it in case I missed anything. You just entered this thread to be a bitch, congratulations.

You like to paint yourself as fair and quite balanced. However, it's posts like that which say otherwise.

Never ever ever feed the troll.. :doubt: She gets off on that.

Someone who is "combative and intoxicated" needs to be grappled with, not Tasered. It seems there was more than one cop on scene, so the argument that a lone cop had to do it is sort of lost. My understanding of the place of the Taser in the use of force continuum is that it's an alternative to a firearm and that leads me to think that the Taser should be used against knife-edged weapons. From the stuff I read it seems that it is being use for compliance in the place of physical grappling and I don't think that's what it's meant for.

Why do they need to be grappled with? Do they have a weapon hidden? Are they going to stab the officer? Do they have some communicable disease? Are they high on PCP, and have the strength of 3 men?
Uh no. The officer's safety calls for measures like tasering.

Nothing wrong with a little shock now and then... Gets your attention.

Electrocution can lead to death.

TASER® Freqently Asked Questions - TASER® FAQ
Nah Tasers are definitely non-lethal, even for people with pacemakers..

Press Release
This study shows an increase of energy going to the pacemaker, while the voltage is being delivered, with return to normalcy afterwards, for people tased even when they have pacemakers..

Physician FAQs
FDA standards for these implantable devices require that they can withstand extremely high energy shocks (i.e. up to 360J monophasic and 200J biphasic): Implantable Medical Device requirements 90/385/1EC). The X26 TASER delivers 0.07 joules per pulse to the load. The M26 TASER delivers 0.50 joules per pulse to the load.
Don't worry- they are definitely SAFE and non lethal, and much better than just a gun.

Forum List

Back