Police State: Town To Ticket Pedestrians For Texting, Talking While Walking...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
This should get all the Nanny/Police State Cheerleaders pretty excited. 'Dangerous Walking?' Man, what will they come up with next?

Fort Lee, N.J. Cracking Down On ‘Dangerous Walking’ By Handing Out Summonses

Forget dangerous driving, pedestrians are the new threat to street safety — phone calls, texting, music and wandering into traffic. Now, one New Jersey town is cracking down on the practice.

Fort Lee’s police chief has seen his share of careless pedestrians texting or talking on the phone in his own town. He said he has counted 23 pedestrian accidents since January, ranging from minor bumps and bruises to three fatalities.

After trying pamphlets and brochures, he’s ordering his officers to ticket careless pedestrians on the spot.

“They’re not alert and they’re not watching what they’re doing,” Police Chief Thomas Ripoli told CBS 2′s Derricke Dennis. “As of now, they are to give summonses to pedestrians who do not adhere to crosswalks and the lights.”

Unlike careless driving, there’s no specific charge for being a careless pedestrian, but Chief Ripoli said his officers are watching, adding they’ll know it when they see it.

Mario Petris can certainly attest to the dangers. One of his personal training clients was hit and killed two months ago.

“She was on the cell phone and she got hit by a car, fatal accident,” Petris said.

The problem has gotten so bad, careless pedestrians in Fort Lee could be committing a fatal offense. Fort Lee is also cracking down on careless drivers, who could face a $200 fine.

Fort Lee, New Jersey Cracking Down On 'Dangerous Walking' By Handing Out Summonses « CBS New York
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Run 'em down and leave them on the side of the road. Who needs freedom robbing laws and government-sponsored health care? if you can't crawl to the hospital with proof of insurance in hand, you don't deserve to live.

Let me see if I got this right. The police chief was concerned about people being distracted by reading their texts while walking, so he tried handing out "pamphlets and brochures".

Irony so think you can eat it with a fork.

But hey what's a little lost liberty if we can make a the town's know-it-all planner feel like he's doing the right thing? That's what keeps us cozy and warm and night.

Let me see if I got this right. The police chief was concerned about people being distracted by reading their texts while walking, so he tried handing out "pamphlets and brochures".

Irony so think you can eat it with a fork.

But hey what's a little lost liberty if we can make a the town's know-it-all planner feel like he's doing the right thing? That's what keeps us cozy and warm and night.

Haven't anti-jaywalking statutes been on the books for quite a while? Why bring them up now, when enforcing them might actually save some lives?

Haven't anti-jaywalking statutes been on the books for quite a while?

Indeed they have. So many new laws are unnecessary because the offensive action is already covered under a previously enacted law. The planners and their sheeple are less into enforcing existing laws than they are into enacting new ones. Every generation's planners are just sure they not only know what's best for everyone else, but they know better than past planners. It's the nature of the beast.

Looks like another Big Brother dirty trick. A Tax disguised as another 'It's for your own good' fine. 'Dangerous Walking.' What a country.

Their ticketing them for ridiculous things like this because the states and cities are broke as fuck, got to get the money somehow I guess.

Cops aren't there for your safety anymore, they're "revenue generators".

Yes, 'To protect and serve' is long long gone now. Big Brother looted the Treasury. And now he needs more revenue. These types of 'Fines' which are really just new Taxes, are on a rapid rise. Big Brother realized some time ago that if you call it a 'It's for your own good' fine, the sheep will be receptive and accept it. You could be 'Fined' or even imprisoned for almost anything these days. We really have become a Police State. It's so sad.

Their ticketing them for ridiculous things like this because the states and cities are broke as fuck, got to get the money somehow I guess.

Yes, Big Brother is out of control. He raped and pillaged for many years, but still managed to spend all the loot. So now he needs more. Man, watching our Nation crumble like this, really does suck.

Yes, Big Brother is out of control. He raped and pillaged for many years, but still managed to spend all the loot. So now he needs more. Man, watching our Nation crumble like this, really does suck.

Its a bad sign, things will really start going to shit when we can't even afford to pay our cops, than we will see true anarchy, it will make the Rodney King riots look like a picnic.

Its a bad sign, things will really start going to shit when we can't even afford to pay our cops, than we will see true anarchy, it will make the Rodney King riots look like a picnic.
I dunno...Maybe then shop owners will shoot back without fear of repercussions from the PC nanny state.

I dunno...Maybe then shop owners will shoot back without fear of repercussions from the PC nanny state.

Some will but what happens when the bullets run out?

Some will but what happens when the bullets run out?
The ones with any sense will have plenty on hand and have a network of neighbors who do as well.

Being well organized isn't just for street hooligans.

What a depressing Nation we're becoming. Where did our Country go? How did it happen? Will we ever get it back?

What a depressing Nation we're becoming. Where did our Country go? How did it happen? Will we ever get it back?

You haven't lost anything except your mind, if you think enforcing a law that's been on the books for ages is suddenly a signal that we're losing our freedom. I don't want to pay for the medical care of people who walk around with their heads up their assholes. How about that?

Cops aren't there for your safety anymore, they're "revenue generators".

Interesting take on it. As a former cop who is extremely pro-police, I can share frustration that cops are being used more and more for shit that is NOT A POLICE ISSUE. One classic example is how so many people call 911 because their neighbor's dog wont stop barking. Annoying? Yes. Police problem? No.

The "revenue" myth is mostly that, a myth. Local PD's only get about 20% of all ticket money. 80% goes to the state. Of that 20%, most goes to court costs, like paying for judges, rent on courthouses, etc. Very little, if any, of that money goes to the PD. Past generations of lawmakers did that just to ensure PD's couldn't use tickets for salary bumps. So it's not "revenue".

What is it? Politics. For every person who is pissed at such a stupid ticket being written there are 5 people driving in cars who slam their brakes on when people walk in the road and they yell "WHY DOESN'T SOMEONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!??"

You have cops being pulled in two directions. The "why wont someone do something" crowd, and the liberty crowd. Mayors and elected or appointed sheriffs/chiefs try to appease both sides, and we end up where we are.

Locally here in Charleston, the big debate is bicycles on the roads and those who ride at night with no bike lights. The liberty crowd yells they have a right to ride, and that cops enforcing bike light laws are stupid and they "have better things to do", OR, they bash them saying they are, cliche', "fat donut eaters with nothing better to do". But, every month or so we have a bicyclist get hit and killed, and people scream "They are supposed to have lights on their bikes at night, but cops never enforce it, why not!!!???". Classic hindsight experts.

I am glad I'm no longer in LE. They just can't win these days, no matter what they choose to do.

Forum List

Back