Police State: Police Officer Slays Marine Sergeant In School Parking Lot...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Nah, we don't have a Police problem in this country. No way.

A veteran Orange County sheriff’s deputy feared for the safety of two young girls sitting in a parked car when he shot and killed a Marine sergeant in a dark parking lot near San Clemente High School, authorities said Friday.

Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr. was shot early Tuesday as he started to get into the SUV where his two daughters -- 9 and 14 -- were sitting, authorities said. Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the department, said the deputy was fearful that Loggins -- who he said appeared to be acting irrationally -- was about to drive off with the girls.

"The real threat that was perceived was the safety of the children," Amormino said.

"The deputy formed an opinion that he had a deep concern for the children, that he would not allow Mr. Loggins to drive away with the kids," Amormino said.

A former commanding officer said Loggins routinely went to the school with his daughters during the early-morning hours to walk the track and read the Bible.

Amormino said Loggins was not armed and that it doesn’t appear the incident was alcohol- or drug-related.

The shooting is being investigated by the Orange County district attorney's office. The deputy, a 15-year veteran, is on paid leave, which is routine in officer-involved shootings.

Police officer slays Marine sergeant in school parking lot | The Daily Caller

Did the cop holler out "Stop" or anything?????

Does that really matter? He shot the man dead right in front of his children. Whether the cop hollered "Stop" or anything really doesn't matter now for that poor guy and his kids. Murder was not this cop's only recourse. He will have to be held accountable for his crime.

Nah, we don't have a Police problem in this country. No way.

A veteran Orange County sheriff’s deputy feared for the safety of two young girls sitting in a parked car when he shot and killed a Marine sergeant in a dark parking lot near San Clemente High School, authorities said Friday.

Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr. was shot early Tuesday as he started to get into the SUV where his two daughters -- 9 and 14 -- were sitting, authorities said. Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the department, said the deputy was fearful that Loggins -- who he said appeared to be acting irrationally -- was about to drive off with the girls.

"The real threat that was perceived was the safety of the children," Amormino said.

"The deputy formed an opinion that he had a deep concern for the children, that he would not allow Mr. Loggins to drive away with the kids," Amormino said.

A former commanding officer said Loggins routinely went to the school with his daughters during the early-morning hours to walk the track and read the Bible.

Amormino said Loggins was not armed and that it doesn’t appear the incident was alcohol- or drug-related.

The shooting is being investigated by the Orange County district attorney's office. The deputy, a 15-year veteran, is on paid leave, which is routine in officer-involved shootings.

Police officer slays Marine sergeant in school parking lot | The Daily Caller

How does that prove we are a police State?

Sounds to me like this article was written by someone who is not telling the whole story, too much left out of this, I dont see a police officer just shooting someone like that. I will wait to hear the whole story before forming an opinion.

The man was unarmed. Shooting him dead was not necessary. It's very sad.

from a link on the OP linked page, to a related piece...

Union blames Marine killed by deputy for fatal shooting - latimes.com

The union said Loggins could be heard uttering "irrational statements" after he crashed through a gate in his GMC Yukon about 4:30 a.m. that morning and left his two daughters, 14 and 9, in the SUV as he walked to the athletic field. Friends have said he frequented the track to walk with his children and read the Bible.

The union said the deputy is a 15-year veteran of the department and a decorated former Marine himself. He radioed dispatch to report a "child endangerment situation," the union said.

Other sheriff's personnel arrived and comforted the children, who said their father "had been acting oddly," the statement said. When Loggins abruptly returned to his SUV, he ignored orders not to start the car and instead put it in gear, preparing to drive "and further endanger the children."

The union said the deputy, positioned by the driver's window, fatally shot Loggins as he began to pull the vehicle forward.

two sides to every story. The truth is usually in between someplace.

If he is acting erratically, and failing to comply with orders the police can use force. He should have tazed him before anything else though, but if time was imminent he did what he had to do to save the girls. Do I agree with it? Nope, but I wasn't there so I cannot judge the officer, I did not see what he seen.

If he is acting erratically, and failing to comply with orders the police can use force. He should have tazed him before anything else though, but if time was imminent he did what he had to do to save the girls. Do I agree with it? Nope, but I wasn't there so I cannot judge the officer, I did not see what he seen.

Shooting the man dead was not the cop's only recourse. He should be held accountable.

Judging by the other reports the guy certainly didn't appear to be without fault, however, I'm still not convinced the officer was justified in shooting him. Merely starting to drive off is not a reason to shoot someone dead in my opinion, but I'll wait to see what else we find out on this.

how do you taze a guy in a car?

A vehicle can and has been used as a weapon. But I don't expect an idiot like you to understand that.

I was 4 am in th emorning the man was driving at a high rate of speed he was acting irrational, the cop feared for his and the childrens safety.

I guess you would rather let an irrational man speed down the road with two young kids in the car at 4 in the morning.

You got shit fucked up!

Shooting the man dead was not the cop's only recourse. He should be held accountable.

It's easy to judge someone's action when you have no idea of the severity of the situation.

Just a couple questions...

1. Why didn't the police remove the girls from the vehicle while their father was gone?
2. Why didn't they block the vehicle from leaving?
3. Why didn't they disable the vehicle?
4. Why didn't they taze the man before he re-entered the vehicle?
5. Why is the story we heard first so different from the story we're hearing now?

A guy crashes through a gate. So right off, he is destroying property and an obvious hazard.

The cop calls for backup. So far, so good.

The man refuses to obey police commands. So far, the cops are in the right to be ordering him to submit to their authority. He has given them probable cause.

The man is totally in the wrong for not obeying police commands.

He then allegedly makes statements which the cop says caused him to fear for the children's lives.

I can think of a few things a guy who just crashed through a gate and acting irrationally might say which would make me very concerned about the lives of his kids. Something like, "I'm going to kill my kids."

He is now behind the wheel of a motor vehicle with his kids trapped in the vehicle with him. And he starts the vehicle.

Your options are actually very, very limited at this point.

Shooting him is probably the best option as shooting the vehicle itself is no guarantee it will be disabled. Shooting the tires will not disable the vehicle but may ultimately cause the vehicle to crash and injure the children.

All this is completely logical if the facts have been accurately presented in the various news reports.

Forum List

Back