Police State: City Shuts Down Hot Dog Stand Boy Opened To Help Disabled Parents...

This is more a story of how established businesses collude to prevent small businesses from gaining a foothold and threatening the commerce they have already cornered.

On a very small scale this is an example of what can go wrong when the tentacles of Fascism reach into even the small towns. Clearly there is an unhealthy relationship between the forces of the existing businesses and the local government.

The issue is free enterprise vs unfair restriction of competition.

The local government is only acting on the preasure being applied by the colluding establishment.

I agree that it is wrong but you have pointed your anger at the wrong people. I can assure you that if the local businesses were not pushing to shut down any competition there would be no issue at all.

We shouldn't be upset with the government when they do something stupid? Are you fracking crazy?

The kid put all his savings into a business that he should have been able to figure out was only viable if he was allowed to operate it outside the law of the city he lives in.

I'd say he was the stupid one.

Funny, this coming from someone that everyone else thinks is the stupid one.

We shouldn't be upset with the government when they do something stupid? Are you fracking crazy?

The kid put all his savings into a business that he should have been able to figure out was only viable if he was allowed to operate it outside the law of the city he lives in.

You know, one of the benefits of being smarter than people like you is that I'm smart enough to know I'm smarter than you. Those of us who are genuinely intelligent don't get that wrong.

I still can't get over how thrilled the 'nuts here are at the idea that a thirteen year old would have to get a job to support his disabled parents.

That is the kind of medieval society the Right wants to return to.

And this is exactly the kind of bullshit that gave rise to the Tea Party. American has woken up and is going to run the big government communist liberals the fuck out of this nation and over to Cuba where they belong.

When we're telling 10 year olds they can't have a lemonade stand because they don't have the proper permits, you know the idiot liberal has become full-fledged communists.

Well, let me take an educated guess here, and by all means correct me if I'm wrong, if his parents are legitimately disabled, they are eligible for government disability benefits, among others, most of which these 'small government' types would happily eliminate.

To rational and reasonable people, i.e. non-leftists, words and phrases have meanings. "Able Bodied" has a specific meaning, and "disabled" by necessity does not fit that meaning.

Look, you're just a demagogue spewing bullshit, I get it. Still, that was a pretty fucking stupid statement, doncha think

In their perfect world, the parents would be absolutely destitute, but, on the bright side,

their 13 YEAR OLD SON would be able to work his ass off anywhere he wanted in order to keep them alive.

Yep, that's the America the rightwing/libertarian types dream of ...

If you weren't so stupid, you wouldn't be a leftist.

True fact! ^^^

Gheesh your a dick.That is being nice.

Such a big heart ole Big Brother has, huh?

This summer, 13-year-old Nathan Duszynski wanted to make some money to help out his disabled parents—his mom has epilepsy and his dad has multiple sclerosis. So he decided to open a hot dog stand. He saved $1,200, mostly money made by mowing lawns and shoveling snow. He checked with the city to make sure he didn't need any licenses or permits, even going to city hall in person with his mom. And then he bought a cart. (Yep, that's hot dogs from Nathan's, for those who are keeping score at home.)

He arrived to set up shop on his first day and 10 minutes later, a zoning official arrived to shut him down. The problem: The cart, which is in the parking lot of a sporting goods store, is on the edge of official downtown commercial district of Holland, Michigan. The city bans food carts in that area in order to minimize competition for the eight tax-paying restaurants a couple of blocks away.

As it happens, I've been to Holland. It's a lovely town, but not exactly a booming metropolis. And frankly (ha!), after an evening of Blue Motorcycles Butch's Dry Dock, a hot dog would really have hit the spot. The city says it is willing to work with Nathan, but keeping food carts out of the small, walkable downtown area is pretty much the same thing as banning food carts altogether. Nathan and his family obviously know that: The hot dog cart is now for sale.

The Mackinac Center has made a nice little video about the ridiculous story:

City Shuts Down Teen's Hot Dog Vendor Cart! - YouTube

so one of the businesses complained it would appear.
yep the businesses run big brother and they shure have a heart.

I still can't get over how thrilled the 'nuts here are at the idea that a thirteen year old would have to get a job to support his disabled parents.

That is the kind of medieval society the Right wants to return to.

Yeah, how dare someone learn personal responsibility, work ethic, and show appreciation by giving back.

So much better to build a Joseph Stalin Communist society where everyone is entitled, nobody gives effort, and the entire thing ends in collapse.

You're such an asshole NYcarbineer. Cuba is waiting for you and your failed ideology.

And this is exactly the kind of bullshit that gave rise to the Tea Party. American has woken up and is going to run the big government communist liberals the fuck out of this nation and over to Cuba where they belong.

When we're telling 10 year olds they can't have a lemonade stand because they don't have the proper permits, you know the idiot liberal has become full-fledged communists.

you talk that which is not true. the laws are made by all, repubs, dems. But you always leave out your party.
Zoning laws have nothing to do with communism, it has all to do with capitalism, no wonder you get dumped on.

All the kid has to do is move to an area where it is allowed

Gotta protect small business don't we?

The kid is a small business. Where is his protection?

That's just it. The town council appears to be in the pocket of big business (comparatively speaking). The restaurant owners got this zoning ordinance passed because they didn't want the competition of the food carts. It's anti-capitalist.

and you know this because?

Sometimes Paul posts the most insignificant stories

I wonder if he came to the defense of the occupy wall streeters in regards to their many violations of city zoning, ordinances, rules, regulations etc.

I don't recall. Maybe he'll remind us.

This kid wasn't shitting on cop cars or raping the girl in the next tent, Sparky...

I love how they will support OWS but don't give a damn about a kid trying to make his parents life easier. Love the hypocrisy.

You know, one of the benefits of being smarter than people like you is that I'm smart enough to know I'm smarter than you. Those of us who are genuinely intelligent don't get that wrong.

Coming from the board idiot, I'll take that as a compliment.

Zoning laws are among the most unjust things about America but are entirely within libertarian beliefs as they are local in nature and made by local authorities.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyone who ignores history and facts in favor of their ideology is FAR from being "intelligent". The only thing "genuine" about you is that you're a genuine communist and you're a genuine asshole.

Coming from the board idiot, I'll take that as a compliment.

My first advice to you if you have any desire whatsoever to be taken seriously would be to put an at least slightly more dignified picture of yourself in your avatar.

Forum List

Back