Police State: City Shuts Down Hot Dog Stand Boy Opened To Help Disabled Parents...

Such a big heart ole Big Brother has, huh?

This summer, 13-year-old Nathan Duszynski wanted to make some money to help out his disabled parents—his mom has epilepsy and his dad has multiple sclerosis. So he decided to open a hot dog stand. He saved $1,200, mostly money made by mowing lawns and shoveling snow. He checked with the city to make sure he didn't need any licenses or permits, even going to city hall in person with his mom. And then he bought a cart. (Yep, that's hot dogs from Nathan's, for those who are keeping score at home.)

He arrived to set up shop on his first day and 10 minutes later, a zoning official arrived to shut him down. The problem: The cart, which is in the parking lot of a sporting goods store, is on the edge of official downtown commercial district of Holland, Michigan. The city bans food carts in that area in order to minimize competition for the eight tax-paying restaurants a couple of blocks away.

As it happens, I've been to Holland. It's a lovely town, but not exactly a booming metropolis. And frankly (ha!), after an evening of Blue Motorcycles Butch's Dry Dock, a hot dog would really have hit the spot. The city says it is willing to work with Nathan, but keeping food carts out of the small, walkable downtown area is pretty much the same thing as banning food carts altogether. Nathan and his family obviously know that: The hot dog cart is now for sale.

The Mackinac Center has made a nice little video about the ridiculous story:

City Shuts Down Teen's Hot Dog Vendor Cart! - YouTube

The big problem for me, was that he checked first, and was given a Green Light. That is poor form. He should be reimbursed all expenses. Maybe the City Council could buy the Cart at Cost, and then Shut Themselves down the first time they use it, paying double fines. :D Assholes.

I know - it sucks that the kid was out trying to gather cash for his disabled parents and later education. It's not "fair" that the city gave him all the right information except for not telling him all the places he COULDN'T run his business. But, it isn't the job of some clerk to go into all the legal ways the kid could be stopped. I think it's ridiculous to take the position that the city should be held accountable for the costs associated with a failed start up due to current zoning laws. I feel for Nathan, but he failed to ask all the right questions.

Laws don't magically appear - people ask for them or reject them. If this law is unfair, it should be repealed by the same process that got it enacted in the first place - that's just how we do things.

Our Government only stands in the way of small business entrepreneurs these days. They make it so difficult for someone to get started. Big Brother needs to get off the Peoples' backs. Enough is enough.

And you can thank lobbyist money from corporations for that. The government doesn't write laws willy nilly. The corps grease their palms and our "representatives" pass legislation in their favor. I don't think any legislation is passed in our favor anymore. Food for thought:

Assault rifles - perfectly legal
Raw milk from an organic farmer down the road - illegal (thanks dairy industry)

The government didn't take a stand against raw milk of their own volition. The dairy industry paid for that legislation to get rid of competition. And look at the meat packing monopolies. THEY dictate the laws and regulations because they pay for them, not government. Why do people keep getting sick, but NO ONE can even force them to recall meat that has been tainted, nor do they have to disclose what stores it is in? And if you say anything bad about them? Yep, they can sue your ass. We are losing our rights, and it is the private sector, not the government that is taking them away. You do get that, don't you?

Last edited:
We shouldn't be upset with the government when they do something stupid? Are you fracking crazy?

The kid put all his savings into a business that he should have been able to figure out was only viable if he was allowed to operate it outside the law of the city he lives in.

I'd say he was the stupid one.

He was stupid because he went and asked the government if there would be a problem with him running a hot dog stand, and they told him no?

Want to try again, or are you simply a hack statist?

He didn't ask them if that location was acceptable, did he?

This summer, 13-year-old Nathan Duszynski wanted to make some money to help out his disabled parents—his mom has epilepsy and his dad has multiple sclerosis. So he decided to open a hot dog stand. He saved $1,200, mostly money made by mowing lawns and shoveling snow. He checked with the city to make sure he didn't need any licenses or permits, even going to city hall in person with his mom. And then he bought a cart. (Yep, that's hot dogs from Nathan's, for those who are keeping score at home.)

He arrived to set up shop on his first day and 10 minutes later, a zoning official arrived to shut him down. The problem: The cart, which is in the parking lot of a sporting goods store, is on the edge of official downtown commercial district of Holland, Michigan. The city bans food carts in that area in order to minimize competition for the eight tax-paying restaurants a couple of blocks away.

As it happens, I've been to Holland. It's a lovely town, but not exactly a booming metropolis. And frankly (ha!), after an evening of Blue Motorcycles Butch's Dry Dock, a hot dog would really have hit the spot. The city says it is willing to work with Nathan, but keeping food carts out of the small, walkable downtown area is pretty much the same thing as banning food carts altogether. Nathan and his family obviously know that: The hot dog cart is now for sale.

The big problem for me, was that he checked first, and was given a Green Light. That is poor form. He should be reimbursed all expenses. Maybe the City Council could buy the Cart at Cost, and then Shut Themselves down the first time they use it, paying double fines. :D Assholes.

I've not seen the story that says he checked regarding the actual location. Can you post that please?

PS he already sold the cart for more than he paid for it.

Our Government only stands in the way of small business entrepreneurs these days. They make it so difficult for someone to get started. Big Brother needs to get off the Peoples' backs. Enough is enough.

And you can thank lobbyist money from corporations for that. The government doesn't write laws willy nilly. The corps grease their palms and our "representatives" pass legislation in their favor. I don't think any legislation is passed in our favor anymore. Food for thought:

The government didn't take a stand against raw milk of their own volition. The dairy industry paid for that legislation to get rid of competition. And look at the meat packing monopolies. THEY dictate the laws and regulations because they pay for them, not government. Why do people keep getting sick, but NO ONE can even force them to recall meat that has been tainted, nor do they have to disclose what stores it is in? And if you say anything bad about them? Yep, they can sue your ass. We are losing our rights, and it is the private sector, not the government that is taking them away. You do get that, don't you?

I MOSTLY agree with what you're saying here. Where I have to jump off is when you make the assertion that we are losing our rights.

While it's true that industries pay for the legislation that helps them the most, and mostly only helps the established industries, we also have same right to oppose the legislation. We don't use that right. We don't consider how today's laws will impact us down the road - and no one comes out to explain it to us in the most simplistic terms so that we can disagree with conviction and logic. We give our legislators carte blanche to act in our interests, but if we have no interest they can't be blamed for acting in favor of those who do.

I MOSTLY agree with what you're saying here. Where I have to jump off is when you make the assertion that we are losing our rights.

Look up veggie libel laws. If that is not a full on assault of our right to free speech, I don't know what is. I couldn't believe they were real when I first learned about them.

http://cspinet.org/foodspeak/laws/existlaw.htm

And what about Monsanto sneaking that little tidbit in the earler ag bill that would basically make a backyard garden, let alone farmer's markets illegal before we screamed and they put that amendment in. THAT is exactly what they want to do. They're already buying up all the small seed companies. They are a scary, evil monstrosity of a corporation... that is writing our food legislation.

Last edited:

I know - it sucks that the kid was out trying to gather cash for his disabled parents and later education. It's not "fair" that the city gave him all the right information except for not telling him all the places he COULDN'T run his business. But, it isn't the job of some clerk to go into all the legal ways the kid could be stopped. I think it's ridiculous to take the position that the city should be held accountable for the costs associated with a failed start up due to current zoning laws. I feel for Nathan, but he failed to ask all the right questions.

Laws don't magically appear - people ask for them or reject them. If this law is unfair, it should be repealed by the same process that got it enacted in the first place - that's just how we do things.

Tell me something, which people asked for a law that bans competition for restaurants?

Do me a favor, stop pretending that your stupid blather makes sense to anyone else. You might be older than my cat, but you definitely are not wiser. Being wise does not mean telling people that laws exist for a reason, it means using judgement to discern right and wrong. If you use that judgement, and actually figure out that a law is wrong, you do not then blather about how we do things and how people complaining about laws is ridiculous. How we do things is complain. those restaurants complained that the sidewalks outside their front door were icy, and got the city to put in heaters for the sidewalks. That was wrong, the city should have told them icy sidewalks are a normal part of winter when you live in that part of the country. Now, because they complained, they want to prevent other people from selling food.

Asshole.

The kid put all his savings into a business that he should have been able to figure out was only viable if he was allowed to operate it outside the law of the city he lives in.

I'd say he was the stupid one.

He was stupid because he went and asked the government if there would be a problem with him running a hot dog stand, and they told him no?

Did they think he was asking them if it was acceptable to run one outside the city limits?

Assholes will be assholes, and jerks will defend them.

While it's true that industries pay for the legislation that helps them the most, and mostly only helps the established industries, we also have same right to oppose the legislation. We don't use that right. We don't consider how today's laws will impact us down the road - and no one comes out to explain it to us in the most simplistic terms so that we can disagree with conviction and logic. We give our legislators carte blanche to act in our interests, but if we have no interest they can't be blamed for acting in favor of those who do.

How do we oppose legislation when it is passed behind closed doors?

Come to think of it, why should we have to oppose legislation that is obviously wrong? Do we have to stand up and demand that the government no pass a law making it legal for police to park their cars in our living room, or should the government automatically discern (use wisdom) that police parking cars in people's living rooms is a bad thing?

Last edited:
This story was pretty sad..this is what happens with a overbearing Government..

they can give and they can take it away..

This is more a story of how established businesses collude to prevent small businesses from gaining a foothold and threatening the commerce they have already cornered.

On a very small scale this is an example of what can go wrong when the tentacles of Fascism reach into even the small towns. Clearly there is an unhealthy relationship between the forces of the existing businesses and the local government.

The issue is free enterprise vs unfair restriction of competition.

The local government is only acting on the preasure being applied by the colluding establishment.

I agree that it is wrong but you have pointed your anger at the wrong people. I can assure you that if the local businesses were not pushing to shut down any competition there would be no issue at all.

VERY TRUE, DING DING....Big business uses big government to push laws to kill competition....NOW you're understanding !!!!!!

You see the same is true at the fed level also. So if you support businesses abuse of power then you didn't make it on you own, sound familiar, and in this case it actually fits.

Well, let me take an educated guess here, and by all means correct me if I'm wrong, if his parents are legitimately disabled, they are eligible for government disability benefits, among others,

most of which these 'small government' types would happily eliminate.

In their perfect world, the parents would be absolutely destitute, but, on the bright side,

their 13 YEAR OLD SON would be able to work his ass off anywhere he wanted in order to keep them alive.

Yep, that's the America the rightwing/libertarian types dream of ...

Typical of the naïve libertarian reactionary.

All the kid has to do is move to an area where it is allowed

Gotta protect small business don't we?

The kid is a small business. Where is his protection?

That's just it. The town council appears to be in the pocket of big business (comparatively speaking). The restaurant owners got this zoning ordinance passed because they didn't want the competition of the food carts. It's anti-capitalist.

Did they think he was asking them if it was acceptable to run one outside the city limits?

Assholes will be assholes, and jerks will defend them.

The carts are not forbidden in the entire city. Try to get at least a modicum of understanding of the story before you comment on it ,eh?

Forum List

Back