Police shoot innocent man after knocking on wrong door

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Gotta love it when police shoot somebody just because they answered the door.

Lake County Sheriff's Office deputies shot and killed a man they assumed was an attempted murder suspect on Sunday, but they now know they shot the wrong man. In the early-morning hours, deputies knocked on 26-year-old Andrew Lee Scott's door without identifying themselves as law enforcement officers. Scott answered the door with a gun in his hand.
"When we knocked on the door, the door opened and the occupant of that apartment was pointing a gun at deputies, and that's when we opened fire and killed him," Lt. John Herrell said. "Even though this subject is not the one we were looking for when he opened the door. He was pointing the gun at the deputy and if you put yourselves in the deputy's shoes. They were there to pick up someone who was wanted for an attempted homicide."

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door | Local News - WESH Home

Let me clarify a couple of things before anyone comes in here and starts defending the police.

1. The police were at the wrong door, they admit that.
  2. It was 1:30 in the morning.
  3. The police did not announce themselves, they also admit that.
  4. They claim the guy was pointing a gun at them when he opened the door.
The police claim that Andrew Lee Scott died because of number 4, which is ridiculous, Even if he did actually point a gun at them when he opened the door, he died because the police were reckless, They were at the knocking on the wrong door at 1:30AM without announcing themselves Scott died because the local cops thought that rules that protect the public were too much trouble.

Lake County Sheriff's Office deputies shot and killed a man they assumed was an attempted murder suspect on Sunday, but they now know they shot the wrong man. In the early-morning hours, deputies knocked on 26-year-old Andrew Lee Scott's door without identifying themselves as law enforcement officers. Scott answered the door with a gun in his hand.
"When we knocked on the door, the door opened and the occupant of that apartment was pointing a gun at deputies, and that's when we opened fire and killed him," Lt. John Herrell said. "Even though this subject is not the one we were looking for when he opened the door. He was pointing the gun at the deputy and if you put yourselves in the deputy's shoes. They were there to pick up someone who was wanted for an attempted homicide."

Let me clarify a couple of things before anyone comes in here and starts defending the police.

The police claim that Andrew Lee Scott died because of number 4, which is ridiculous, Even if he did actually point a gun at them when he opened the door, he died because the police were reckless, They were at the knocking on the wrong door at 1:30AM without announcing themselves Scott died because the local cops thought that rules that protect the public were too much trouble.

You are an idiot, thanks for proving it.

I've answered the door with my Glock in my hand (my gun, not my d*ck) on more than one occasion.

Someone should go to prison for manslaughter. This is the very definition of manslaughter, killing someone due to negligence rather than intent.

The shot the guy just because he's black. Unless they know for a fact that their suspect is in a unit, they should always announce themselves.

It sounds obvious that the guy had the gun in his hand because it was so late at night when someone knocked on his door. He would have carried the gun to endure he was protected if something happened.

The officers are at fault here because they failed to identify themselves. I had thought that was a big no-no, but it seems not.

A lot of cops seem to make up excuses as to why they shot someone. They place the blame on the victim instead of themselves.

You beat on my door at 1:30 AM without identifying yourself and you're going to see a gun pointed at you. Simple as that. That is if I even bother going to the door at that hour. I will guarantee one thing, though. Bust down my door when I don't answer it, and the first 6 through the door will leave in body bags.

You beat on my door at 1:30 AM without identifying yourself and you're going to see a gun pointed at you. Simple as that. That is if I even bother going to the door at that hour. I will guarantee one thing, though. Bust down my door when I don't answer it, and the first 6 through the door will leave in body bags.

Problem is, the bastards who broke your door down will see you charged with murder, even though you had a right to defend yourself.

Poor dead SOB's can't testify. It's likely that since no one can say for sure what happened, these officers won't be charged.
Telling quote that I find ironic:
Officials said the deputies did not identify themselves because of safety reasons.
Yeah! That worked out well, didn't it?

you saw what happened last time the government was outgunned.

waco.jpg

They burned the women and children alive,

Problem is, the bastards who broke your door down will see you charged with murder, even though you had a right to defend yourself.
Not in this state Noomi.
If it were police, I would likely face charges, but a witness confirming that the police didn't identify themselves would effectively kill the case.
If they were not police, and were there for illegal reasons, it's unlikely I would even need to get dressed and go the the station.

Sadly, you might be just as shot dead in your scenario. This is a fucked up incident. Really sad and so wrong. It's such a rare occorunce, but it happens. My heart goes out to this guy, and the cops. They must feel like shit.

you saw what happened last time the government was outgunned.

waco.jpg

They burned the women and children alive,

irrelevant.

Sadly, you might be just as shot dead in your scenario. This is a fucked up incident. Really sad and so wrong. It's such a rare occorunce, but it happens. My heart goes out to this guy, and the cops. They must feel like shit.
Your right. That is possible if they send a SWAT team, but 3 or 4 regular officers would be in deep shit.

Last edited:

Your right. That is possible if they send a SWAT team, but 3 or 4 regular officers would be in deep shit.

I doubt if you would get off a shot.

Forum List

Back