Police pose as defense attorney to get confession

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Quantum Windbag, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I know police can lie to suspects to get confessions, but this blew my mind. The part I do not understand is why this got to the appeals court at all, the trial judge should have known better. Not only does this make no sense legally, it makes even less sense when you consider that the guy actually had an attorney. Last time I checked, that means the cops have to stop asking him questions unless he voluntarily waives the right to an attorney. Tricking a suspect into thinking you are his attorney is not a voluntary decision to not talk to an attorney.

Tennessee Cops Posed as a Defense Attorney to Get Suspect To Incriminate Himself | The Agitator

The appeals court got this one right.

2. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,340
    If this is all true, it's pretty crazy. And according to the link, no action has been taken against any of the law enforcement people involved.
    I can only hope there's more to the story, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's completely accurate.

3. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    I'm having a hard time believing this one too. The LEOs would have broken the law by impersonating a lawyer (unless one actually had a license to practice) and this is a glaring fact that the Judge would have surely caught right off the bat. It should have never gotten to appeal.

Which is what leads me to believe the story is missing some important lines.

4. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Something is obviously missing, but there is a link to the appellate court's decision.

5. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,708
    Bad things sometimes happen when Police departments are badly supervised or badly trained. On the plus side the egregious incident was exposed and the situation was taken care of in a court of law. It's still a great Country.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1