Police officers save lives

I agree with you CMike. Police officers very often do some really wonderful things and I appreciate them when they do. There is probably no harder of a career than that of a policeman.

I agree with you CMike. Police officers very often do some really wonderful things and I appreciate them when they do. There is probably no harder of a career than that of a policeman.

I have said "The shitty ones give the other 5% a bad name," and it's usually a bit cheeky when I do. But in all seriousness, it is a damn shame. There are some very good, dedicated, hard-working, heroic police officers out there. Unfortunately, I think they're in a gross minority.

Narcissism and superiority complex seems to be at the core of most cops in my experience. Don't know if that type of person is drawn to a career in law enforcement, or if the job inflates those traits in people; In all likelyhood, a little of both.

I have said "The shitty ones give the other 5% a bad name," and it's usually a bit cheeky when I do. But in all seriousness, it is a damn shame. There are some very good, dedicated, hard-working, heroic police officers out there. Unfortunately, I think they're in a gross minority.

Narcissism and superiority complex seems to be at the core of most cops in my experience. Don't know if that type of person is drawn to a career in law enforcement, or if the job inflates those traits in people; In all likelyhood, a little of both.

I've known and worked alongside many police officers (in the Coast Guard Reserves) and I have to say that when they are not on the job, everyone of them seem to be pretty decent people. I suspect the job requires them to be authoritative hard asses. If they are not, they may very well end up dead on a street somewhere rather quickly.

Most of the ones I have met when they were "on the job" acted like arrogant pricks. I suspect people that know them away from work, would be quite surprised that others see them as such. It is part of the job and to do it well, they have to be that way.

Immie

Becoming a police officer detaches one from the social mainstream by conferring a unique level of authority. As a sworn agent of the state a police officer is required to aggressively impose upon other citizens by issuing summonses or arresting them for various offenses. While some people would find such aggressive activities extremely unpleasant to perform, others have no trouble with it and some even derive extreme satisfaction from asserting their authority. The latter category is referred to in Behavioral terminology as the authoritarian personality, which in extreme examples is regarded as a potentially destructive psychological disorder.

Forum List

Back