Police Officers, Fed Up with Rick Scott, Leave Republican Party En Masse

Sure law enforcements a tough job but the folks who do it do so because they want to. No one forces them to be police officers, fire fighters or EMS worker. They do it because they love the job. No gun to the head needed.

I'm a public sector worker down here in Florida in Brevard country. We were getting all of our beni's and retirement payed for by the taxpayers. The Gov has changed that. We now have to put in to our HC and retirement. I have no problem with doing that. After all. Its MY HC and my retirement. Why should the taxpayers foot 100% for that??

Of course the guys I work with were none to happy. After all. Its tough to give up a free ride. Believe me. These guys make out quite well. After 25yrs they go in drop for another five years. That give them even more money. They retire and come back in and are double dipping.

Works out quite well for em believe me. I'm sure Broward County has much the same thing.

It's not like a cop can hire an agent to represent him He/she has to depend on collective bargaining, via their union.

Next month the Broward County Police Benevolent Association is holding a "Party to Leave the Party" -- an event coordinated with the Supervisor of Elections where police officers and the general public can switch their voter registrations from Republican to Democratic or Independent.

The reason for the switch? The association, which serves as the bargaining union for the county's law enforcement officers, is unhappy with the leadership of Governor Rick Scott and the results of the past legislative session, including changes to the Florida Retirement System that will require the workers to pay more of their own wages into retirement savings.

How many have 'Left'?

:eusa_whistle:

It's not like a cop can hire an agent to represent him He/she has to depend on collective bargaining, via their union.

Next month the Broward County Police Benevolent Association is holding a "Party to Leave the Party" -- an event coordinated with the Supervisor of Elections where police officers and the general public can switch their voter registrations from Republican to Democratic or Independent.

The reason for the switch? The association, which serves as the bargaining union for the county's law enforcement officers, is unhappy with the leadership of Governor Rick Scott and the results of the past legislative session, including changes to the Florida Retirement System that will require the workers to pay more of their own wages into retirement savings.

How many have 'Left'?

The 'mass exodus' isn't scheduled until July. I wonder if Dickless Fuck starts this thread up again if no one attends! :rofl:

We have volunteer fire departments.

Think of all the money we could save with volunteer police departments.

Or volunteer teachers.

Or volunteer teachers.

Volunteer military..even.

How about volunteer Congress?

Volunteer air traffic controllers?

Volunteer DMV clerks?

Volunteer sanitation?

Man..the list goes on!

Or volunteer teachers.

Volunteer DMV clerks?

Volunteer sanitation?

Man..the list goes on!

As we can see, from the progressive statist types the use of the word volunteer only invokes sarcasm and jokes. Hence why they're so anti-charity and want them done away with in order to put an expensive inefficient bureacracy in its place at every opportunity.

How many have 'Left'?

The 'mass exodus' isn't scheduled until July. I wonder if Dickless Fuck starts this thread up again if no one attends! :rofl:

If he's anything like Chrissy which I suspect he's worse? Count upon it.

Or volunteer teachers.

Volunteer DMV clerks?

Volunteer sanitation?

Man..the list goes on!

As we can see, from the progressive statist types the use of the word volunteer only invokes sarcasm and jokes. Hence why they're so anti-charity and want them done away with in order to put an expensive inefficient bureacracy in its place at every opportunity.
My wife and I have been volunteers in a number of capacities over the years. Volunteers do a lot for society, but they aren't a substitute for professionally trained employees. People volunteer because they enjoy the work or get some satisfaction out of helping out. When that disappears, so does the volunteer.

I'm torn on this issue. On one hand, we cant pay and compensate to a level that will bankrupt the govt.

However, to ask people to do a shitty job, with shitty hours, where they could get killed, get spit on, get hated by half the population, and also ask them to be polite, restrained, calm, safe, and smart while doing it......................you gotta have some kind of perks to keep the good cops there, and keep morale somewhat normal.

Sorry if it is insensitive. But not all jobs are equal. Cops and firemen could get killed any day on the job. Thats different from the fat lady who works in the school district office pushing papers. One is a bit more crucial than others. So.....cutting pay or benefits for SOME govt employees may be necessary. But cops and firemen should be last resort. Our society has a private sector that can fill in almost any role. But public police, fire and military are NOT amongst them.

I don't disagree. I tend to more inclined to support LEOs and Military as the exception... daily they face the worst of American society - and risk their lives to protect the rest of us.

Most everyone in Florida is fed up with Rick Scott.

I voted for Scott. I've met Scott and he is a typical nerdy type!
And being a nerdy type he is though an executive and like most executives doesn't have a good manipulation of the MSM which is where most of the negative perceptions are coming from!

Case in point the Broward policemen's latest moan.
Geez.. how sad they have to contribute to their pension!
Almost ALL for profit companies have moved towards employee's contributing and it is now the whiny.. public employees bitching about paying THEIR fair share!

How many municipalities in this country are nearly broke BECAUSE of UNION mandated pension paid entirely by the cities?

So Scott like Walker has simply asked public employees to help out their employers that have seen property values decline which in turn decline property taxes.. something evidently most public employees don't consider!

Lower property tax revenue means more decisions regarding expenditures.
It is that simple!
But evidently to complicated for the Broward Police!

According to the Sun-Sentinel salary database, there were 5,331 employees in the Broward County Sheriff's Office in 2009.[3]
The highest paid employee is Lieutenant Daphnys Jean-Baptiste with total compensation of $287,357.74 There are 19 employees that earned more than $150,000 in total pay.

Medical insurance
Life, dental, vision, and disability insurance
Retirement plan under the Florida Retirement System
Leave including sick, annual, holiday, military, ect
24-hour fitness center
Wellness programs
Additional benefits for deputies

Training academy paid for
Laptop and take-home vehicle provided
Uniform

The Broward County Sheriff's Office has about 2,900 employees with take home vehicles and union members that do not receive vehicles receive $453 a month.
Gas and maintenance for the take-home vehicles is paid for by the Sheriff's Office.[6]
Broward County Sheriff's Office, Florida - Sunshine Review

FACTS had a way of getting in the way of biased inaccurate opinions!
^^^^^ This

:clap2:
+1

Excellent Synopsis of the situation.
Scott campaigned on this issue, so it should be no surprise to anyone.
I voted for Scott and would vote for him again.

Have you been protected by the police lately? Likely no. Protecting the public is not the job of the police. They are to investigate crimes once they have occurred and apprehend the perpetrators. They aren't there to protect anyone.

The public sector unions have pushed beyond their worth. People who are struggling to get by day after day are seeing the unions live lives of comfort that the citizens provide, but can't achieve themselves. Protection has become a protection racket. The public has declared the end of the ride.

Have you been protected by the police lately? Likely no. Protecting the public is not the job of the police. They are to investigate crimes once they have occurred and apprehend the perpetrators. They aren't there to protect anyone.

The public sector unions have pushed beyond their worth. People who are struggling to get by day after day are seeing the unions live lives of comfort that the citizens provide, but can't achieve themselves. Protection has become a protection racket. The public has declared the end of the ride.

So, you're claiming that - if one calls 911 and reports that someone is trying to kill you - the police will not come until after you're dead? Srsly?

I voted for Scott. I've met Scott and he is a typical nerdy type!
And being a nerdy type he is though an executive and like most executives doesn't have a good manipulation of the MSM which is where most of the negative perceptions are coming from!

Case in point the Broward policemen's latest moan.
Geez.. how sad they have to contribute to their pension!
Almost ALL for profit companies have moved towards employee's contributing and it is now the whiny.. public employees bitching about paying THEIR fair share!

How many municipalities in this country are nearly broke BECAUSE of UNION mandated pension paid entirely by the cities?

So Scott like Walker has simply asked public employees to help out their employers that have seen property values decline which in turn decline property taxes.. something evidently most public employees don't consider!

Lower property tax revenue means more decisions regarding expenditures.
It is that simple!
But evidently to complicated for the Broward Police!

According to the Sun-Sentinel salary database, there were 5,331 employees in the Broward County Sheriff's Office in 2009.[3]
The highest paid employee is Lieutenant Daphnys Jean-Baptiste with total compensation of $287,357.74 There are 19 employees that earned more than $150,000 in total pay.

Medical insurance
Life, dental, vision, and disability insurance
Retirement plan under the Florida Retirement System
Leave including sick, annual, holiday, military, ect
24-hour fitness center
Wellness programs
Additional benefits for deputies

Training academy paid for
Laptop and take-home vehicle provided
Uniform

The Broward County Sheriff's Office has about 2,900 employees with take home vehicles and union members that do not receive vehicles receive $453 a month.
Gas and maintenance for the take-home vehicles is paid for by the Sheriff's Office.[6]
Broward County Sheriff's Office, Florida - Sunshine Review

FACTS had a way of getting in the way of biased inaccurate opinions!
^^^^^ This

:clap2:
+1

Excellent Synopsis of the situation.
Scott campaigned on this issue, so it should be no surprise to anyone.
I voted for Scott and would vote for him again.
ditto0.gif

this 'party to leave the party' has not even happened yet, but Dickless Fuck already claims the mass exodus has occurred... See thread title..

Moron.

My favorite part was where he labeled it as individual cops being disgusted with Scott, and it turned out to be just another Big Labor union media manipulation.

I'm torn on this issue. On one hand, we cant pay and compensate to a level that will bankrupt the govt.

However, to ask people to do a shitty job, with shitty hours, where they could get killed, get spit on, get hated by half the population, and also ask them to be polite, restrained, calm, safe, and smart while doing it......................you gotta have some kind of perks to keep the good cops there, and keep morale somewhat normal.

Sorry if it is insensitive. But not all jobs are equal. Cops and firemen could get killed any day on the job. Thats different from the fat lady who works in the school district office pushing papers. One is a bit more crucial than others. So.....cutting pay or benefits for SOME govt employees may be necessary. But cops and firemen should be last resort. Our society has a private sector that can fill in almost any role. But public police, fire and military are NOT amongst them.

I agree, they should be paid more, but when you jack up the price, because govt janitors and whatever union they have skyrocket the costs of that kind of job, you dont have as much in the budget for the imporant ones.

Exactly. There's an enormous difference between properly funding and compensating essential government services and personnel, and allowing waste and pork and dead weight to inflate budgets and gouge taxpayers.

Forum List

Back