Police "mistake" speech impediment for disrespect

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Before anyone starts whining, yes, this is one sided. But if the officer was aware of this boys condition he should be brought up on criminal charges. There is no excuse for this if it is accurate.

Dayton police "mistook" a mentally handicapped teenager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered, pepper-sprayed and beat him and called for backup from "upward of 20 police officers" after the boy rode his bicycle home to ask his mother for help, the boy's mom says.
Pamela Ford says her "mentally challenged/handicapped" son Jesse Kersey, 17, was riding his bike near his Dayton home when Officer Willie Hooper stopped him and tried to talk to him.
The mom says that "Prior to the incident described below, defendant Hooper knew Jesse and was aware that Jesse was mentally challenged/handicapped and a minor child."
Nonetheless, Ford says, Hooper "apparently took Jesse's speech impediment for disrespect ... [and] began yelling at Jesse and after Jesse attempted to communicate with him[.] Jesse, being a minor and mentally challenged/handicapped, turned and rode his bike back to his home in an attempt to ask his mother, Ford, to help him communicate with defendant Cooper," according to the complaint in Montgomery County Court.

Courthouse News Service

On the way, the mom says, "A neighbor attempted to communicate with Officer Hooper about Jesse's disabilities and was told to go back into his home, or he would be arrested."
As Ford opened her front door, she says, Hooper and co-defendant Officer John Howard, "fired their Tasers, striking Jesse in the back with both probes."
"Once inside the house, defendant Hooper and defendant Howard began to struggle with Jesse, who was standing against the back door with his hands up in front of his face, saying 'Please quit, please quit.'

Courthouse News Service

Fuck him. He is a Predator, not a Protector.

It seems like the verdict is in but how did the mother know about details about the incident when she wasn't present? Years ago these unfortunate incidents would be handled by local authorities but now we get a national slant on them for political reasons. Yeah right, the Officer should have handled the situation with more discretion and most likely he will be diciplined and/or lose his job. Satisfied? Want to make a federal case out of it?

It seems like the verdict is in but how did the mother know about details about the incident when she wasn't present? Years ago these unfortunate incidents would be handled by local authorities but now we get a national slant on them for political reasons. Yeah right, the Officer should have handled the situation with more discretion and most likely he will be diciplined and/or lose his job. Satisfied? Want to make a federal case out of it?

It seems you are out to lunch.

Just because the son has a speech impediment it does not mean he cannot talk at all, he could have told his mother what happened. Then we have the people on the street saw the whole thing.

Don't worry thought, the guy will probably get a promotion.

YES, I do.

There is NOTHING more dangerous than someone who abuses the PRIVILEGE of authority, in a civil society.

Since when was disrespecting an officer even illegal?

Charge that asshole with assault.

Assuming this is true per the article, I'd like to see both officers convicted of criminal charges. The problem, of course, is determining if the story in the article is, in fact, true.

I do find one thing a bit odd. According to the article the mother and a family friend were both at the house, yet nothing indicates either made any attempt to physically intervene. I would have thought at least the mother would have tried to prevent such an assault on a handicapped child.

the cops involved should be killed and all their assets seized and given to the victims family

Assuming this is true per the article, I'd like to see both officers convicted of criminal charges. The problem, of course, is determining if the story in the article is, in fact, true.

I do find one thing a bit odd. According to the article the mother and a family friend were both at the house, yet nothing indicates either made any attempt to physically intervene. I would have thought at least the mother would have tried to prevent such an assault on a handicapped child.
I don't think she would've stood a chance.

Since when was disrespecting an officer even illegal?

Charge that asshole with assault.

That should have been the FIRST question. He should ATA MINIMUM be fired but I feel jail time is more appropriate. Not much but at least some. Cops abusing their power, particularly when they are doing it because they feel they are not being 'respected,' is one of the WORST things a cop can do. I don't feel they have any special claim on 'respect' anyway and it is bullshit that they expect people to crawl for them simply because they are police.

the cops involved should be killed and all their assets seized and given to the victims family

No one died though so that sounds pretty harsh don't you think?

no, abuses by police officers, whom are given the duty of life/death/freedom over all people in their jurisdiction, should be given no mercy or lienancy when they abuse their privileges

No one died though so that sounds pretty harsh don't you think?

no, abuses by police officers, whom are given the duty of life/death/freedom over all people in their jurisdiction, should be given no mercy or lienancy when they abuse their privileges

Absolutely true yet your example is STILL over the top. It does illustrate the point well though. I would like to know more about how far he had actually gone. On the other side of the coin, what do the poster here feel should have been the result had the mother shot the cop in 'self' defense of her son?

Before anyone starts whining, yes, this is one sided. But if the officer was aware of this boys condition he should be brought up on criminal charges. There is no excuse for this if it is accurate.

Dayton police "mistook" a mentally handicapped teenager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered, pepper-sprayed and beat him and called for backup from "upward of 20 police officers" after the boy rode his bicycle home to ask his mother for help, the boy's mom says.
Pamela Ford says her "mentally challenged/handicapped" son Jesse Kersey, 17, was riding his bike near his Dayton home when Officer Willie Hooper stopped him and tried to talk to him.
The mom says that "Prior to the incident described below, defendant Hooper knew Jesse and was aware that Jesse was mentally challenged/handicapped and a minor child."
Nonetheless, Ford says, Hooper "apparently took Jesse's speech impediment for disrespect ... [and] began yelling at Jesse and after Jesse attempted to communicate with him[.] Jesse, being a minor and mentally challenged/handicapped, turned and rode his bike back to his home in an attempt to ask his mother, Ford, to help him communicate with defendant Cooper," according to the complaint in Montgomery County Court.

Courthouse News Service

There are bad cops out there. Not necessarily crooked but below average, and everyone makes mistakes. Sounds like one.

Before we all jump against the police remember what they deal with every day.

My father once told me "son, don't be smarting off or looking threatening to no cops. Especially little tough guy cops or broads. They will just haul off and shoot your big ass"

Really decent advice. At least now there are tazers and pepper sprays.

Pre teens and teenagers, hell everyone, should have to watch that cops show two hours a week. Just to see the world through their eyes would help prevent these situations.

Courthouse News Service

There are bad cops out there. Not necessarily crooked but below average, and everyone makes mistakes. Sounds like one.

My father once told me "son, don't be smarting off or looking threatening to no cops. Especially little tough guy cops or broads. They will just haul off and shoot your big ass"

Pre teens and teenagers, hell everyone, should have to watch that cops show two hours a week. Just to see the world through their eyes would help prevent these situations.

I wanted to bag on your post, but it was spot on. Good on ya!:clap2:

Courthouse News Service

Are you saying it is fine for police to be abusive an violent as long as they do not actually kill anyone?

Police are supposed to be better than this all the time. I mouth off to cops all the time, and will keep doing it in the future. I know what it is like for them, and I expect them to be able to handle it and still be polite to the assholes. If they can't they should go out and find another line of wrok, we are better off without them.

Courthouse News Service

Are you saying it is fine for police to be abusive an violent as long as they do not actually kill anyone?

Police are supposed to be better than this all the time. I mouth off to cops all the time, and will keep doing it in the future. I know what it is like for them, and I expect them to be able to handle it and still be polite to the assholes. If they can't they should go out and find another line of wrok, we are better off without them.

Lol, young man I am not saying it is alright to for police to beat you for being mouthy. Like I said, there are above and below average officers.

Or just officers who saw a punk do the same thing you were doing last time then the punk pulled a gun and....

You are a very un streetwise fool if you mouth off to a man with a gun in a tense situation. Unless you plan on going George Washington and holding a revolution, the place to fight the power is in court if you think an officer harrassed you. The police have a bigger gang than you. No loss of face admitting that. Sure you are probably tougher than any one of them one on one. This is not a macho chest pumping contest.

Lets go yell at bouncers for fun. My my.

I think less of you now.

Look, when the cops pull you over next time remember that man or woman has a legitimate concern any person they pull over is nuts and will shoot them. Behave very carefully.

Forum List

Back