Police: Juveniles laughed after setting 15-year-old on fire

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
What kind of monsters are people raising these days? :eusa_eh:

Police: Juveniles laughed after setting 15-year-old on fire - CNN.com

The youths all attend school together, police said, and Brewer apparently owed one of the suspects $40 for a video game and had not paid it. So the suspect allegedly stole the victim's father's bicycle, Feeley said. Brewer reported the bicycle stolen Sunday, and the suspect was arrested that day, taken to a detention center and released to his parents early Monday, police said.

From what the suspects and witnesses have told police, the suspect yelled, "He's a snitch, he's a snitch" and "pour it on him." Another juvenile threw what police believe was rubbing alcohol on Brewer from a plastic jug and used a lighter to set him on fire, he said.

Malissa Durkee, the teen's sister, told WPLG on Monday night that her brother was in critical condition. Lamberti said Brewer is expected to be hospitalized for five months.

Over $40 this happened. Let me repeat that, this started over $40. I would shake my head, but I'm just too disgusted.

I blame the damn video games and movies that are desensitizing people. If I played Grand Theft Auto for 9 years straight I would be f*cked up too.

I blame the damn video games and movies that are desensitizing people. If I played Grand Theft Auto for 9 years straight I would be f*cked up too.

Yes, by all means, blame video games. Don't blame the parents who didn't properly raise their children or the system in which their behavior was obviously allowed to occur.

Yes, by all means, get a scapegoat. I played Grand Theft Auto since #3 came out however long ago it was. Am I out there setting kids on fire? I think not.

Peddle that bullshit elsewhere. These kids are monsters plain and simple.

Yes, by all means, blame video games. Don't blame the parents who didn't properly raise their children or the system in which their behavior was obviously allowed to occur.

Yes, by all means, get a scapegoat. I played Grand Theft Auto since #3 came out however long ago it was. Am I out there setting kids on fire? I think not.

Peddle that bullshit elsewhere. These kids are monsters plain and simple.

Well of course I blame the parents for letting them play the damn games, and watch the movies. I'm not saying playing video games and watching movies is bad, but moderation is key... kids don't know how to be moderate in nothing.

And you are right that they're monsters... I just think desensitization plays a major role, that's all.

Well of course I blame the parents for letting them play the damn games, and watch the movies. I'm not saying playing video games and watching movies is bad, but moderation is key... kids don't know how to be moderate in nothing.

And you are right that they're monsters... I just think desensitization plays a major role, that's all.

Except you don't know whether these kids play Grand Theft Auto or any other video game obsessively. You're jumping to conclusions with no evidence.

I've been watching horror movies and playing violent video games since I was 10. I've seen pretty much every single bloody American horror movie there is that's any good and now making my way to the Japanese ones because that's where horror is at now a days. So it's not even about moderation, it's about being taught by your parents what's right and what's wrong.

It's also about not being fucking crazy. Speaking of which, all across the world in places like Japan they watch the same movies and games we do, they even have some worse gory movies. How come they're not all doing the shit we see here in the U.S.? I'll tell you why, it's the society we have and the environment that these kids are growing up in.

Whether you agree or disagree with Michael Moore, he makes a great point about this in Bowling for Columbine. Across the world, why are other countries gun deaths so much lower? It relates to the society and media. All-fear based and such.

David fought Goliath when he was 9 and killed him. Boys down through the ages have been desensitized to violence.

What is happening, you are both right, is that now there is also a lack of morality and guidance in the home and in society. In a society where there are no boundaries, guidelines or consequences, and even those who behave in anti-social manner are considered victims, this sort of thing is bound to happen.

Do violent video games make you crazy or are crazies drawn to violent video games? I'd say the latter.

And who know with these kids...they are just fucked in the head.

It's not just the video games...it's the lack of supervision, the lack of structure which would provide them with other things to do and develop character, virtue and morality.

It's not just the video games...it's the lack of supervision, the lack of structure which would provide them with other things to do and develop character, virtue and morality.
Maybe, Babble, but IMO some parents can twist themselves into knots and their kids will still be fucked in the head.

Maybe, Babble, but IMO some parents can twist themselves into knots and their kids will still be fucked in the head.

Have your parents untied themselves yet !:lol:

Sorry Rav----it was just too easy. :tongue:

Except you don't know whether these kids play Grand Theft Auto or any other video game obsessively. You're jumping to conclusions with no evidence.

I've been watching horror movies and playing violent video games since I was 10. I've seen pretty much every single bloody American horror movie there is that's any good and now making my way to the Japanese ones because that's where horror is at now a days. So it's not even about moderation, it's about being taught by your parents what's right and what's wrong.

It's also about not being fucking crazy. Speaking of which, all across the world in places like Japan they watch the same movies and games we do, they even have some worse gory movies. How come they're not all doing the shit we see here in the U.S.? I'll tell you why, it's the society we have and the environment that these kids are growing up in.

Whether you agree or disagree with Michael Moore, he makes a great point about this in Bowling for Columbine. Across the world, why are other countries gun deaths so much lower? It relates to the society and media. All-fear based and such.

We were first a society of many guns and conservative values.

The guns remained, but the conservative values have been aggressively diminished.

Action now takes place within a void of consequence - be it the home, the schools, and society in general. Things such as video games and films can concentrate this imbalance even further.

Boorish behavior has gone from simply exhibited, to actively promoted. Look at such posters in here such as BikerSailor, Huggy etc. - almost every post reeks of profanity, sexism, insults, attacks, etc. Yes, the Internet has contributed to our overall decline as well - and I in no way mark myself as immune...

Boundaries have fallen, and with those basic boundaries of common decency, so too do people's understanding of acceptability, accountability, and personal responsibilty - and from there the slope becomes increasingly slippery, each generation of youth more uncertain, each preceding generation of adults more inept, and acts of outrage more common place...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waNhD1Z23M8&feature=related]YouTube - Gran Torino End *Original*[/ame]

It has nothing to do with Conservative values or the Internet. People have been fucked up long before the Internet, it was just never in this large numbers. Although, stuff like this probably wasn't widely reported as it could of been back then.

Conservatives do not have a monopoly on good values and morality. As much as I'm sure you'd like to look at Liberals as godless heathens who would rather commit depraved acts constantly, it's just not so.

As for people today, it's a society based off fear. How much fear has been pumped into society since after 9/11? How much fear was pumped into society going into the Iraq War? It's come clear that fear has gripped this country and has made this country believe in irrational things.

As for personal responsibility and accountability, when we have become a society of "survival of the fittest" instead of being our brother's keeper, this is what you get. We reap what we sow. If society wants to act like a bunch of self-righteous greedy pricks and if we vote in said pricks, this is the type of society we get.

Besides, how one defines decency is all based on the people at the time. I'm sure the people in the 1600's would down upon the people in the 1900's and so forth when it comes to "decency." So it's not accurate to put that into the equation.

Not very often. In fact, never that I can think of...except POSSIBLE Kip Kinkle. I'll have to ask my CW co-worker who worked with Kip in McClaren. But who knows what went on in his house as he was growing up?

However all the literature on the subject says that kids don't go berserck for no reason, ever. They're perception may be skewed, but it's skewed for a reason.

Right? It's not like assholes somehow materialized because video games were invented.

Exactly, video games are just an outlet used by assholes to be bigger assholes. The internet, video games, anything is just an outlet. When it gets right down to it, it's us who are deciding to pull the trigger, say what we do, and act the way we do. We have nobody to blame but ourselves for our actions.

It's not Manhunt 2's fault that you went out and killed your family.

Forum List

Back