Police: Fake census worker invades home, kills owner

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by strollingbones, May 10, 2010.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    HOUSTON -- Police are warning homeowners to be careful who they allow inside their homes. A man posing as a census worker and two more suspects barged into a north Houston house Saturday afternoon, killing the homeowner and beating others. It happened Saturday afternoon in the 400 block of Truman.

A day later, Reginald “Pete” Haynes’ family is planning a funeral instead of celebrating Mother’s Day.
    His nephew, Larry Johnson Jr., struggles to talk about what happened.
    “They’ve taken something precious from us,” says Johnson. “They really have.”
    Johnson lost his uncle after a man claiming to be a census worker went to their house and Haynes’ son, unknowingly opened the door.
    Once the door was open, police say at least two other men also forced their way into the house.
    According to Johnson, his cousin and aunt were beaten and tied up. As his uncle got home and walked in through the garage, he was ambushed.
    “They tied him up and stabbed him and tried to submerge him in water,” he said. Family members said the men ransacked the house for two hours.
    Haynes later died at the hospital and Johnson says his uncle was stabbed to death over a little bit of cash.
    “They were looking for money and my aunt gave them everything that they had and it wasn’t enough for them,” he claims.

Police: Fake census worker invades home, kills owner | khou.com | khou.com Local News

home invasions terrify me..and they are so totally rare where i live...and now this aint gonna help the census workers and their negative reps already

2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    There are always thugs and bad guys. Now they have just one more excuse to scam you.

I met up with a census worker yesterday making the rounds of the neighborhood. She was cute. She didn't come to my door, she was in the coffee shop giving her (pretty) legs a rest.

I don't remember this kind of angst over any previous census.

3. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    If a census worker can get past my two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, I may just answer the door.

4. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    I hope this does not make the job more difficult for my friendly neighborhood census worker. She's such an amazing person! So committed! So brave! Her hard work will help insure that Massachusetts does not lose a seat in Congress.

Yeah for all census workers everywhere!!!:happy-1:

5. Anguille

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    My local census worker would have them rolling over for belly rubs in no time. She's unbelievable! People fight over whose house she will come to next.

6. Anguille

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
  7. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,827
    One more reason why it was a good idea to just fill out the damn form and send it in.

Cripes, a lousy ten questions and even the postage was paid.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,166
    Filling out the form means that a Census worker will not come to your door? Think about that before you answer. I know the answer.

9. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
  10. Angelhair

Angelhair Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    You can all try to rationalize it all you want - but it is a TRAGEDY!!! My heart goes out to that poor trusting family! I don't open the door to anybody unless I know them....and sometimes even that is not a guarantee. If they come to my door with a census sheet, I will answer their questions behind a locked door - it that is not enough, they can mail me another one! (Of course I mailed MINE the following day after receiving it.)