Police do welfare check, kill person they are supposed to help

I don't have any problem with the police breaking in the door on the facts known to them at the time. Police have the right to kick a door in if they reasonably believe someone on the other side of the door is in danger of phsycial harm or death. In this case, the man behind the door was telling him he was OK. They still have the right to kick the door in. (Although the poster who commented, "why didn't he just open the door?" has a good point.)
I am somewhat surprised at this. I absolutely have an issue with cops that seem to think they can enter your home for whatever reason. It is asinine. You are usually the anti-authoritarian here.

Granted, the article is light on the facts but if we take it at face value - the cops were called in by a company that made devices to alert when you had a medical need and he stated he was fine when they got there. Where is there any actual evidence or reason that he might have been a hostage? If there was something that really pointed to that circumstance, then, fine. They should enter at that point. That circumstance is highly unlikely however. I have a healthy distrust of authorities that start kicking doors in for 'wellness' calls. The entire idea is rather asinine.

They should kick the door in if they don't get an answer, but he said he was fine, and that should have ended it. I saw something similar just yesterday. A guy had a seizure, people called 911, and he got better by the time paramedics arrived. He refused medical treatment, and they actually argued with him about it. They even admitted he seemed to be mentally astute because he was able to respond to their questions. He was no longer laying on the ground, yet they were insisting they had to check him out.

That doesn't even make sense. Shove a piece of paper at him, let him sign it, and go find someone who actually needs to tie up the resources of 2 ambulances and a fire truck.

All men should be free - free to speak his mind, free to earn and spend his own money and free to choose his leaders -

Forum List

Back