Police Chiefs Adopt Drone Code Of Conduct...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Had to laugh hard over this one. Anyone else find this as hilarious as i do? Police policing themselves. Yup, that'll work out just great.

The nation’s police chiefs have adopted a code of conduct for their use of drones, including letting any images captured by unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs, be open to inspection by the public, and that the images not be stored unless they are evidence of a crime or part of an ongoing investigation.

The chiefs also said that if they plan to fly drones over an area where they are likely to spot criminal activity and where they would be intruding on someone’s “reasonable expectations of privacy,” they should seek to get a search warrant first.

In their three-page document, the chiefs said they are aware of privacy issues that have arisen with the prospect of an explosion in both governmental and private use of drone technology.

“Privacy concerns are an issue that must be dealt with effectively if a law enforcement agency expects the public to support the use of UAV by their police,” the chiefs said.

The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, the industry trade group, applauded the new rules, saying they struck a good balance.

Here are the eight operational rules the chiefs recommended:

1. UAV operations require a Certificate of Authorization (CAO) from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). A law enforcement agency contemplating the use of UAV should contact the FAA early in the planning process to determine the requirements for obtaining a COA.

2. UAVs will only be operated by personnel, both pilots and crew members, who have been trained and certified in the operation of the system. All agency personnel with UAV responsibilities, including command officers, will be provided training in the policies and procedures governing their use.

3. All flights will be approved by a supervisor and must be for a legitimate public safety mission, training, or demonstration purposes.

4. All flights will be documented on a form designed for that purpose and all flight time shall be accounted for on the form. The reason for the flight and name of the supervisor approving will also be documented.

5. An authorized supervisor/administrator will audit flight documentation at regular intervals. The results of the audit will be documented. Any changes to the flight time counter will be documented...

Read more: Police chiefs adopt drone code of conduct - Washington Times

Just wait until some country bumpkin cop gets ahold of one of these.

You can divert the drone by use of frequency.

Yup... A Policeman is going to close his eyes when he flies a UAV over the ex-girlfriend he has been stalking's backyard, well she is out working on her sun tan. Yes, this technology is going to be some fun, with regards to privacy issues, and civil Rights... I cannot wait!

I seem to recall someone else promising transparency during his campaign. How'd that work out?

America has all manner of Laws pertaining to everything and these Politicians and others who are there to protect us (Cops) just ignore them whenever they feel like.

"I've adopted this 'Code of Conduct' that I'm gonna' say that I'll follow while I violate your rights, how's that?"

No. How bout Fuck Off with your drones?

I seem to recall someone else promising transparency during his campaign. How'd that work out?

America has all manner of Laws pertaining to everything and these Politicians and others who are there to protect us (Cops) just ignore them whenever they feel like.

"I've adopted this 'Code of Conduct' that I'm gonna' say that I'll follow while I violate your rights, how's that?"

No. How bout Fuck Off with your drones?

Yeah, different rules for our Police. The worst thing that can happen to most, is merely losing their job. They are rarely ever prosecuted and sent to Prison. And unfortunately, most Americans have helped create this current Police State. They've gone along. And that's the biggest tragedy.

Congress asked the "justice dept" to indict the Attorney General for contempt of congress. How did that work out?

Hope it works out. Brian Terry and his Family deserve that much. Eric Holder is a criminal. I hope he gets fitted for his orange jumpsuit very soon.

Had to laugh hard over this one. Anyone else find this as hilarious as i do? Police policing themselves. Yup, that'll work out just great.

The nation’s police chiefs have adopted a code of conduct for their use of drones, including letting any images captured by unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs, be open to inspection by the public, and that the images not be stored unless they are evidence of a crime or part of an ongoing investigation.

The chiefs also said that if they plan to fly drones over an area where they are likely to spot criminal activity and where they would be intruding on someone’s “reasonable expectations of privacy,” they should seek to get a search warrant first.

In their three-page document, the chiefs said they are aware of privacy issues that have arisen with the prospect of an explosion in both governmental and private use of drone technology.

“Privacy concerns are an issue that must be dealt with effectively if a law enforcement agency expects the public to support the use of UAV by their police,” the chiefs said.

The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, the industry trade group, applauded the new rules, saying they struck a good balance.

1. UAV operations require a Certificate of Authorization (CAO) from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). A law enforcement agency contemplating the use of UAV should contact the FAA early in the planning process to determine the requirements for obtaining a COA.

2. UAVs will only be operated by personnel, both pilots and crew members, who have been trained and certified in the operation of the system. All agency personnel with UAV responsibilities, including command officers, will be provided training in the policies and procedures governing their use.

3. All flights will be approved by a supervisor and must be for a legitimate public safety mission, training, or demonstration purposes.

4. All flights will be documented on a form designed for that purpose and all flight time shall be accounted for on the form. The reason for the flight and name of the supervisor approving will also be documented.

5. An authorized supervisor/administrator will audit flight documentation at regular intervals. The results of the audit will be documented. Any changes to the flight time counter will be documented...

That makes me feel so much better.

That makes me feel so much better.

I hear ya.

Forum List

Back