Police allegedly attack witnesses to shooting

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
We really need to end the police war on cameras. It should be obvious to everyone that they do not have a right to privacy when they are on the job.

A Palm Beach County couple, Narces Benoit and his girlfirend, were enjoying a night on the town in Miami Beach when they happened to be on Collins Avenue and witnessed this police shooting, which was caught on video by a photographer and posted on You Tube. Benoit recorded that same shooting with his cell phone camera. But he says a police officer ran over and grabbed his camera phone and smashed it.
"He didn't say nothing. He just snatched me by my head and threw me on the ground and stepped on my back, threw it on the floor, stepped on it and was cussing me out the whole time," said Benoit.

Miami shooting | police, miami, early - WPEC 12 West Palm Beach

That police officer should be jailed. Even if a person agreed with the policy of not filming police duty their duties, and I do not, that camera was evidence. Damn some cops are stupid.

That police officer should be jailed. Even if a person agreed with the policy of not filming police duty their duties, and I do not, that camera was evidence. Damn some cops are stupid.

Nice to see we agree that st least some cops are unfit to wear a badge.

Nice to see we agree that st least some cops are unfit to wear a badge.

I never disagreed with that. I only have a problem when idiots like JB want to act like it's a majority of police who behave badly.

Benoit says he plans to file a complaint against Miami Beach police for what he feels was excessive force.

Read more: http://www.cbs12.com/articles/police-4732814-miami-early.html#ixzz1NyWC9I3z

Fuck the complaint. The guy has grounds for a lawsuit.

He says police also took cellphone cameras away from other bystanders nearby who had recorded the police shooting incident on Collins Avenue.

Read more: Miami shooting | police, miami, early - WPEC 12 West Palm Beach

Why did people hand them over? There isn't a chance in hell I would have allowed the cops to take my phone from me without force. People really need to stop being such damn cowards and start standing up for their rights.

Benoit says he plans to file a complaint against Miami Beach police for what he feels was excessive force.

He says police also took cellphone cameras away from other bystanders nearby who had recorded the police shooting incident on Collins Avenue.

Why did people hand them over? There isn't a chance in hell I would have allowed the cops to take my phone from me without force. People really need to stop being such damn cowards and start standing up for their rights.

Maybe they saw what the police did to Benoit and thought they would rather have the cops steal their phones then have their heads bashed in and have the cops steal their phones.

Because in states with such laws you CAN be arrested for recording LEOs doing their jobs. If you are arrested the police can and of course will confiscate your phone anyway. SO often times LEOs just tell people if they will turn over their phones so that pictures and audio or videos can be deleted that they won't be arrested and can go on their way.

Doesn't make the law right, just an explanation.

Because in states with such laws you CAN be arrested for recording LEOs doing their jobs. If you are arrested the police can and of course will confiscate your phone anyway. SO often times LEOs just tell people if they will turn over their phones so that pictures and audio or videos can be deleted that they won't be arrested and can go on their way.

Courts have ruled time and time again that there is nothing illegal about video taping the police.

Benoit had his cell phone with the shooting video on it and showed it to the reporter.

Benoit is lying.

Courts have ruled time and time again that there is nothing illegal about video taping the police.

Perhaps you can't read. I find the laws stupid. But as of yet, in the states where they exist they are in fact laws and have not been ruled unconstitutional.

There is if there is a law against it.

Brain seems to think that there are "states with such laws." I'm not so sure. I know an attempt was made to make photographing police at work illegal in the UK, but I'm not so sure about any of the states in the US. Will continue Googling and will edit if something turns up.

Edit Note: OK - apparently three states (Illinois, Mass. and Maryland) have "used wiretapping and eavesdropping laws" to prosecute people for photographing cops at work. The article I found does not say that these states have enacted anti-photographing statutes, per se.

http://www.dvafoto.com/2010/06/three-us-states-make-recording-police-activity-illegal/

Last edited:

Brain seems to think that there are "states with such laws." I'm not so sure. I know an attempt was made to make photographing police at work illegal in the UK, but I'm not so sure about any of the states in the US. Will continue Googling and will edit if something turns up.

Edit Note: OK - apparently three states (Illinois, Mass. and Maryland) have "used wiretapping and eavesdropping laws" to prosecute people for photographing cops at work. The article I found does not say that these states have enacted anti-photographing statutes, per se.

Three US states make recording police activity illegal | dvafoto

Saved me some work. The AGs in those states argue that since both parties have to consent to having a conversation it is illegal to record a police officer on duty. Some police advocates argue that it violates the LEOs right to privacy to videotape them on the job. I get a little confused why a police officer has an expectation of privacy when he confronts me on the street but I do not, but I often get confused by the way some people think.

I hate to pull the "If you have nothing to hide" card, but it does seem to be appropriate here. I can think of no legitimate reason for a LEO to object to being recorded on the job other than the fear that it will make them look bad if someone edits a tape the right way. To defend against that they should simply record everything themselves. This gives everyone access to a unbiased record of what actually happened. The police and DA can use it to review the events and make a better defense, and it will restrict the ability of police to lie about what happened.

Three US states make recording police activity illegal | dvafoto

Yep...don't you remember motorcycle guy getting arrested in Maryland?

[youtube]QNcDGqzAB30[/youtube]​

Last edited:

Forum List

Back