Polar Ice

rgn_antarctica_wideweb__470x292,0.jpg

Lubbock, Tx (AP) Undeterred by cooler weather unrelated to the global worldwide catastrophe of global warming brought on by man's reliance on petroleum and coal, these cotton farmers are boring down to soil to plant this year's Texas cotton crop.

rgn_antarctica_wideweb__470x292,0.jpg

Lubbock, Tx (AP) Undeterred by cooler weather unrelated to the global worldwide catastrophe of global warming brought on by man's reliance on petroleum and coal, these cotton farmers are boring down to soil to plant this year's Texas cotton crop.

I lol'ed -- out loud

It's colder, that can only mean Global Warming!!

Lets see, the long sought Northern Passage might be possible if there is a little more melting in the future than in the recent past, yet Greenland is still a huge ice cube. Its kind of hard to believe that during the Medieval Climate Optimum, when vineyards flourished on Greenland, that there was much ice at the northern cap,

Without doing the research myself... can someone tell me what the normal highest temperature is during the year for the area in question?

Typically lazy Conservative:lol:

Arctic Temperatures Are Warmest in 2,000 Years | LiveScience

Arctic air temperatures in the 1990s were the warmest in the last 2,000 years and were a result of rising greenhouse gas levels, a new study concludes.

The findings, detailed in the Sept. 4 issue of the journal Science, also suggest that if it weren’t for these manmade pollutants, temperatures around the North Pole would actually be cooling as a result of natural climate patterns.

Sponsored LinksElectricity on the Cheap?$49 kit has electricity company exec's seeing red! calling for ban. www.Power-4-Homes.comArctic Tour Experts$2,000 Off Polar Bear Tours Expert Arctic Tour Planners www.expeditiontrips.comTemperature CalibrationContact us For Quality Calibration Service Management And Support! www.ICCInstrument.com/Temperatures "This result is particularly important because the Arctic, perhaps more than any other region on Earth, is facing dramatic impacts from climate change," said study team member David Schneider of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). "This study provides us with a long-term record that reveals how greenhouse gases from human activities are overwhelming the Arctic's natural climate system."

Natural archives

The researchers uncovered this masked cooling trend by reconstructing Arctic temperatures over the past two millennia with data from Arctic lake sediments, glacial ice and tree rings, all of which provide records of the changes in temperatures up there.

Without doing the research myself... can someone tell me what the normal highest temperature is during the year for the area in question?

Inland in the Antarctic, it's mothr freakin' cold in the winter and only freakin' cold in the summer. When airplanes fly in to resupply Antartic stations, they keep the engines running.

On the northern coasts of the Arctic Sea like Barrow, mid-summer temps routinely go above 40F. Mid-summer is a pretty short season up there, though. Further north, it stays cooler, but the ice melts or grows because of wind and water currents.

Sorry, no links for this stuff. It's recollections of my failing memory, so I'd check it before I quoted it.

SVS Animation 2830 - Yearly Arctic Temperature Anomaly

This animation shows the yearly temperature anomaly over the Arctic region from 1981-82 through 2002-03. Years run from August 1 through July 31. Blue hues indicate cooling regions; red hues depict warming. Light regions indicate less change while darker regions indicate more. The temperature scale used ranges from -7.0 to +7.0 degrees Celsius in increments of .25 degrees (see color bar below).

Daily dose of Old Rocks:

(Insert manipulated data graph here), ignore refuting source here. Mention highest monthly temp ever over here.

Hey Liberty, just because you cretins are too lazy to do simple research does not mean the rest of us are.

And, as long as you fellows are telling lies concerning a clear and present danger, you will get your daily dose of Old Rocks, and the rest of us that post real science rather than idiotic talking points.

Hey Liberty, just because you cretins are too lazy to do simple research does not mean the rest of us are.

And, as long as you fellows are telling lies concerning a clear and present danger, you will get your daily dose of Old Rocks, and the rest of us that post real science rather than idiotic talking points.

:lol: yeah right, didn't you mean really tainted science?

Your using fear politics there Mr. Science Guy. BTW, I'm not plural and looks like you just called yourself a cretin in the sentence structure.

Last edited:
Some scientists question the tactic and say they should focus instead on perfecting their science, but the researchers who are organizing the effort

Yes, a perfect example of what is wrong with the AGW (Al Gore Warming) crowd. The real scientists want to make the science better, but the AGW want more politicization of the effect.

Oddly the poeple who claim to be most concerned seem to be doing the least to reduce their own consumption. Green Credits are ascam to allow rationing with a loophole for the rich to consume as mucha s they want.

glaciers_bear1a.jpg

It's not like it's just "data". You can actually "see it". Once glaciers are gone, no more cycle of evaporation, condensation, and fresh water. It will be just desert.

Some Republicans call the theory of evaporation "wild speculation".

Glaciers have grown and shrunk before. We know that glaciers result from snow that falls and does not melt year to year. We know that patterns of precititation can and do change. Dust Bowl in 30's. East Coast this winter.[/url]

Actually when talking about the artic regions most of the glaciers there are not formed from falling snow per se, it just happens that it gets so cold that snow cannot form, I know, crazy, but listen; it gets very cold and all the moisture in the air drops down to ground level and the ice fields actually grow in size, kind of like those old freezers that frost keeps growing and growing till you cannot fit anything into it, and it did not snow in your freezer, so it is just the moisture in the air itself freezes it is also called hoar frost. and sticks to the surfaces and grows. In the artic when it warms up it actually will snow at that time, so the warmer it gets the more snow will fall in the artic region till break-up. (Spring for the lower 48 folks.) but the snow itself is weak and soft while the hoar frost is very hard (if you had an old freezer you know not to chip at the frost because you may very well crack the plastic part of the freezer) so unless the hoar frost continues to grow ontop of the snow, the snow itself will usually melt or drift away. but the hoar frost will stay ten times longer.

Just trying to clairify some errors I hear people make that are for and against global warming.

Lets see, the long sought Northern Passage might be possible if there is a little more melting in the future than in the recent past, yet Greenland is still a huge ice cube. Its kind of hard to believe that during the Medieval Climate Optimum, when vineyards flourished on Greenland, that there was much ice at the northern cap,

At no time have vineyards flourished or even existed in Greenland. In fact, even in the best of times, the Viking colony there was marginal.

glaciers_bear1a.jpg

It's not like it's just "data". You can actually "see it". Once glaciers are gone, no more cycle of evaporation, condensation, and fresh water. It will be just desert.

Some Republicans call the theory of evaporation "wild speculation".

Glaciers have grown and shrunk before. We know that glaciers result from snow that falls and does not melt year to year. We know that patterns of precititation can and do change. Dust Bowl in 30's. East Coast this winter.[/url]

Actually when talking about the artic regions most of the glaciers there are not formed from falling snow per se, it just happens that it gets so cold that snow cannot form, I know, crazy, but listen; it gets very cold and all the moisture in the air drops down to ground level and the ice fields actually grow in size, kind of like those old freezers that frost keeps growing and growing till you cannot fit anything into it, and it did not snow in your freezer, so it is just the moisture in the air itself freezes it is also called hoar frost. and sticks to the surfaces and grows. In the artic when it warms up it actually will snow at that time, so the warmer it gets the more snow will fall in the artic region till break-up. (Spring for the lower 48 folks.) but the snow itself is weak and soft while the hoar frost is very hard (if you had an old freezer you know not to chip at the frost because you may very well crack the plastic part of the freezer) so unless the hoar frost continues to grow ontop of the snow, the snow itself will usually melt or drift away. but the hoar frost will stay ten times longer.

Just trying to clairify some errors I hear people make that are for and against global warming.

Both in the Antarctic and the Arctic, you have seasons where the temperture is great for snowfall. And I have seen it snow at -40 in Eastern Oregon, so what you state might be true for extremely cold temps, but for most of the range that the Artic experiances, it does snow.

You are not supposed to chip away at the frost in your cycle or manual defrost refrigerator because the usual result is a punctured evaporator. :):):)

Forum List

Back