Point and Shoot Cameras a Dying Breed?

Ozmar

This tree will shoot you.
Aug 25, 2010
North Carolina
In Smartphone Era, Point-and-Shoots Stay Home

ShareretweetEmailPrintSAM GROBART, On Saturday December 4, 2010, 2:53 am EST
Ariel Dunitz-Johnson, a 30-year-old illustrator in San Francisco, bought a point-and-shoot camera in May. But in July, she bought a smartphone, with a camera built in.

Soon, whenever she wanted to take a picture, she found herself reaching for the smartphone, a Droid Incredible. She barely uses her point-and-shoot, a Panasonic DMC-LX3.

“It’s much easier to share those pictures with my friends,” she explained, through social networks or e-mail. “With my point-and-shoot, I have to plug it into my computer and upload the photos. It’s just a few more steps than I want to take.”
In Smartphone Era, Point-and-Shoots Stay Home - Yahoo! Finance

She would have hated it way back when you had to take the film to a developer and wait 24 hours. "Just a few more steps than I want to take." Gosh. That says it all about where we've come as a society.

That's bullshit. Phones w/never have the capabilities/versatility of even the simplest point-shoots.
It's a rumor by the phone mfrs. to boost sales before Christmas.

I don't believe that they are going to go away, but I do believe that their market share will be greatly diminished due to the ease of use of phone cameras.

They will never go completely away because the capability of a camera, at present, far exceeeds the capability of a smartphone in terms of MP, ability to zoom and other areas. But saying that the phone does give the consumer mobility, to have the camera right there when you need it and the capability of transmitting that image to the world instantly. A lot of people will not buy cameras and this will impact the camera market. But there will still be a demand for cameras.

I just bought me one, a kodak Z981, and the main selling point for me was the ability to zoom in on objects (26X) thaat a phone is incapable of. It also has burst, and panaroma capabilites plus many other features. Of course I won't have it with me in the car all the time but for those portrait pictures, nature scenes or wildlife photos that I do take the clarity, and overall photos will be unmatched by camera phones.

That's bullshit. Phones w/never have the capabilities/versatility of even the simplest point-shoots.

I don't believe that they are going to go away, but I do believe that their market share will be greatly diminished due to the ease of use of phone cameras.

Good point. Not sure about "greatly" diminished tho. And what about dumping the pix from phone to computer or other storage device? I've got to remove my battery, remove the micro SD card, insert that into a USB adapter and then into the USB port on my computer.

Good point. Not sure about "greatly" diminished tho. And what about dumping the pix from phone to computer or other storage device? I've got to remove my battery, remove the micro SD card, insert that into a USB adapter and then into the USB port on my computer.

Their market share will be diminished because it is so easy to get the pictures to your computer via your phone.

You're thinking hardware. Think email.

Side story: My wife's good friend is a semi-professional photographer. Owns the high end cameras, light arrays, etc. When she is not being hired for a photo shoot, guess which camera she uses almost exclusively? Her camera-phone. She can take the picture, and with 2 clicks, post it on her facebook page and email it to herself. And her phone has a 8 MP camera. Thats more than my wife's current point and shoot camera.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back