PM from New Europe Hits Media on Bush Slant

Discussion in 'Europe' started by onedomino, Feb 26, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    -

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Seems to be more and more of this in the Euro media. This past week 2 in Speigel and at least one from the Guardian. Only France press has been silent.

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Wish I could read the French press. Unlike many famous non-English news sources, the French press would never deign to also publish in English. For example, there is no online English version of Le Monde, Le Figaro, or Liberation. But then again, there is no French version of the Washington Post, or the LA Times. The Google webpage translator site is better than nothing, but not much: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemonde.fr%2F&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I use Babelfish, but same problem. Some of the blogs though, do translations. I've yet to see one that had anything positive happening. I mean I'm just shocked! :eek:

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    On your tip, I checked out Babelfish. It translates more languages than Google. But the translation quality seems just as weak. Translation and voice recognition software has a long way to go.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree with the translation things. Actually it seems even in person translations lose a lot, from what my friends tell me. While I can read a bit of other languages, cannot understand them at all. Another downside of the hearing problem.