Plutocracy

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
How do you spell plutocracy -- R-E-P-U-B-L-I-C-A-N---P-A-R-T-Y

"In the last two years, super PACs raised more than $180 million — with roughly half of it coming from fewer than 200 super-rich people and roughly 20 percent from corporations."

By Willoughby Mariano, PolitiFact Georgia
March 14, 2012

The statement
"In the last two years, super PACs raised more than $180 million — with roughly half of it coming from fewer than 200 super-rich people and roughly 20 percent from corporations."

U.S. Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga., in an op-ed

The ruling

Super PACs became legal after a 2010 U.S. Supreme Court decision. They are an object of ire for some who think they can be used to buy elections and help donors obscure their identities.

A Johnson spokesman said he got his data from articles in POLITICO and Roll Call. The stories lay out the findings of "Auctioning Democracy: The Rise of Super PACs and the 2012 Election."

The report was authored by left-leaning policy and advocacy group Demos and U.S. Public Interest Research Group, or U.S. PIRG, a consumer advocacy group. It argued that super PACs skew American politics by giving outsize influence to wealthy donors who hold views that do not represent those held by the broader public.
Johnson's account matched both news accounts' descriptions of the report.

From the advent of super PACs to the end of 2011, donors have contributed a total of $181 million in what are called "itemized individual contributions" to super PACs, the report states. These are contributions from donors who give more than $200. Super PACs must report donor names once their contributions pass this threshold.

The report did not tally contributions by small donors, said Adam Lioz, a Demos official and an author of the report.

Demos and U.S. PIRG found that 196 people donated $100,000 or more to super PACs, which is just shy of 200 individuals. Calling them "super-rich" is polarizing, but it's reasonable to assume people who can afford to make a $100,000 donation have unusually high incomes.

We used the report's findings to calculate that donations of the "super-rich" amounted to about 43 percent of total contributions. This is some 7 percentage points lower than the "roughly half" figure that Johnson used.

For-profit businesses contributed 17 percent of itemized donations, the report states. This is just shy of the 20 percent Johnson cited.

We checked with the Sunlight Foundation, a nonpartisan organization that advocates for more transparency in government. It is the source of much of the data in the report. A spokesman said they found no problems with "Auctioning Democracy."

We rate this claim True.

I wonder if this was a topic of conversation at Obama's $36,000 per plate fundraiser the other day? I'll never know, I'm not one of Obama's 1%ers. FACT.

Funny thing is, you don't have to turn on your TV and watch the ads.

Free country, you know!

Of the many dumb things you've posted, this maybe the dumbest: "Free country, you know!"

A. Freedom isn't Free

B. The Kock Brothers with their inherited wealth are buying America.

Last edited:
Obama has a super PAC, right? Isn't he getting major bucks from George Soros, Bill Maher, etc.? Not to mention the big unions, whether the membership wants it or not.

Does anyone here really think the Dems don't get big campaign contributions from the uberrich and big corps in their states and districts? I'm throwing the BS/Hypocrisy flag.

Empty platitudes to match your empty cranium.

If you don't want to watch the $1 billion in Romney ads, don't watch them.

Worries about somebody buying elections didn't bother you as you jerked off to Obama's half hour prime time spots in 2008, did it?

Worries about somebody buying elections didn't bother you as you jerked off to Obama's half hour prime time spots in 2008, did it?

Looks to me like righty's don't even know who their masters are.

$55 million for conservative campaigns — but where did it come from?

By Matea Gold and Joseph Tanfani, Washington Bureau 8:00 a.m. EDT, May 28, 2012

"I honestly played very little role," said Dr. Eric Novack, who headed an organization called the US Health Freedom Coalition that received nearly its entire budget — $1.7 million — from the center to help pass a state ballot measure that aimed to block President Obama's healthcare overhaul.

"This is a classic example of how our campaign finance system has entirely fallen apart," said Craig Holman, lobbyist for Public Citizen, which advocates stricter campaign finance rules. "We really don't know where this money originated from."

The Center to Protect Patient Rights was created in April 2009, just as the debate over the healthcare bill was heating up. The group's mission was to "protect the rights of patients to choose and use medical care providers," according to its corporate paperwork, filed in Maryland.

While never surfacing publicly, the center sent more than $10 million in its first year to groups such as Americans for Prosperity, which took a lead in protesting the measure.

"I think they saw what we were doing and liked it," said Tim Phillips, president of Americans for Prosperity, which got $4.1 million. He said he did not know the source of the center's funding and declined to comment on whether it still supports his group.

✄snip>

New Orleans surgeon Donald Palmisano, former president of the American Medical Assn.and the public face of the coalition, also said he did not know the source of funding.

"I'm just the spokesperson," Palmisano said.

sgt_schultz.gif

With so much money going to these Super PAC's, does it not worry you that a great deal of money could be funneled to these Super PAC's by foreigners? It could happen on either side. I just think it leaves the door open much wider for this type of thing to happen.

With so much money going to these Super PAC's, does it not worry you that a great deal of money could be funneled to these Super PAC's by foreigners? It could happen on either side. I just think it leaves the door open much wider for this type of thing to happen.

Yep!!

Is Obama jealous of the money? I swear I heard the Dems bragging about how Obama would take in over a billion in campaign funds. Guess that is different.

It is a very disturbing thing when any 1% of any country can effectively buy and sell it.

And the top 1% of American households own 34.6% of all privately held wealth.

By any rational standard, that is perverse and unhealthy.

And a lot of posters want to cheer them on.

Last edited:
They want a plutocracy, somewhere in what passes for a mind with working class republicans is the certainty that a person who could suck a billion dollars out of economy and put it in their pocket would be a wonderful leader for the country, someone who has never worried about anyone other than themselves and occasionally some larger stockholders, the Koch's do not even have stockholders so they cannot even be accused of that.

Not when your poor live better than the upper-middle class of other nations, or have seen their standard of living increase 50% since 1980.

'"Our results show evidence of considerable improvement in material well-being for both the middle class and the poor over the past three decades. Median income and consumption both rose by more than 50 percent in real terms between 1980 and 2009.'

Poverty in America? - Walter E. Williams - Townhall Conservative Columnists

Stupid commie.

It is a very disturbing thing when any 1% of any country can effectively buy and sell it.

And a lot of posters want to cheer them on.

This is the part I don't get. You'd think stopping rich people from buying legislators would be a bipartisan effort.

They want a plutocracy, somewhere in what passes for a mind with working class republicans is the certainty that a person who could suck a billion dollars out of economy and put it in their pocket would be a wonderful leader for the country, someone who has never worried about anyone other than themselves and occasionally some larger stockholders, the Koch's do not even have stockholders so they cannot even be accused of that.

You didn't whine, however, when Obama set all the big money record donations from Wall Street and such in 2008.

He has such a nice smile, afterall!

How do you spell plutocracy -- R-E-P-U-B-L-I-C-A-N---P-A-R-T-Y

Blah-blah-blah-blah...

You have your head buried in the sand.
If you actually believe that it is only the Republican party that has practiced plutocracy - then you are no better than Truthmatters.

You didn't whine, however, when Obama set all the big money record donations from Wall Street and such in 2008.

Yea but I think you can find the names of each and every donor.

Not so at present. Matter of fact, the big money donors don't want their names known..

So how is it snipe, that allowing unlimited campaign donations made by unknown people or organizations, how is that helping to show Democracy as a preferred way to live.

Unlimited donations, unknown donors, sounds like a real recipe for buying elections. Not what the founders had in mind IMO.

Forum List

Back