Plus One Playoffs in NCAA Football

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
The NCAA has finally figured out they need a playoff. Sadly, they are only going with a 4 game playoff.

Any thoughts?

The NCAA has finally figured out they need a playoff. Sadly, they are only going with a 4 game playoff.

Any thoughts?

Bowls plus 1 would be different than a playoff. last year the "Plus one" would have been Alabama/Oklahoma State, which I think would have been a failure.

Here are some thoughts.

Four teams is not enough. Minimum, Power 5 champs + best non-Power 5 team (Notre Dame, most likely).

Here's what I do. Truthfully....

A 3 team playoff and here's how you qualify.

1. The Rose Bowl is moved up to early December (tradition be damned) and the winner gets one of the 3 slots.

2. The Sugar bowl moves up to early December. The SEC champ plays the champ of the SWC (which inexplicably calls itself the Big 12) and the winner gets one of the 3 slots.

3. The Orange Bowl is also moved up. The ACC champ plays the best team in football that isn't a member of any Power 5 conference. The winner gets the last slot.

The top ranked team of the 3 plays for the NC.

The other 2 play in the Fiesta bowl to see who gets to go to the NC.

The NC game is always played indoors in an NFL stadium on a bidding basis, like the Superbowl.

In 2011 that would have given you:

Rose - Wisconsin/Oregon
Sugar Bowl - Okie State/LSU
Orange Bowl - Clemson/Boise State.

The winner of Okie State/LSU would have played one of the other teams for the NC. Makes sense to me. It's alot better than the atrocity that was the '11 season.

There will eventually be at least an 8 game playoff system. The walls have been breached and nothing less will satisfy the quest for a true national champion.

The best idea would be a 16 team playoff, but that may be too much considering the rigors of the game.

One of the things that I predict will come out of all of this is the lack of limitations on the number of teams from a single league or conference. If you want to determine who is the top team, you let all the top teams fight it out on the field.

There will eventually be at least an 8 game playoff system. The walls have been breached and nothing less will satisfy the quest for a true national champion.

The best idea would be a 16 team playoff, but that may be too much considering the rigors of the game.

One of the things that I predict will come out of all of this is the lack of limitations on the number of teams from a single league or conference. If you want to determine who is the top team, you let all the top teams fight it out on the field.

I'll believe even a 4 game playoff when I see one.

I'll believe even a 4 game playoff when I see one.

Twackle.com

The word of the day is 'playoff,' and it's coming (relatively) soon to a field near you - Yahoo! Sports "Barring any eruptions of obstructionist self-interest or outright lunacy – neither out of the question – we should have a playoff plan by July 4 at the latest."

BCS takes big step toward college football playoff - Yahoo! Sports

Semifinal anchor bowl hosting currently leading BCS playoff option - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

BCS takes big step toward football Final Four - College Football News | FOX Sports on MSN

You can believe it is coming.

The NCAA should go back to freshman teams (ineligable for the varsity) - no leaving for the pros before you finish your senior season of eligabilty - the way it used to be.

College sports today is a joke - a farm system for the pros

The NCAA should go back to freshman teams (ineligable for the varsity) - no leaving for the pros before you finish your senior season of eligabilty - the way it used to be.

There is no legitimate reason not to let freshmen play.

As for leaving early, why shouldn't they? If I were a communications major and working at the university tv or radio station, they would not stop me from taking a high paying job in that field. In fact, only in athletics do individuals have to give up so many personal freedoms in order to qualify for a scholarship.

Times change and the sport is changing too. To wish otherwise is an exercise in futility.

I am old School.

Always liked freshman teams.

The Big Dance in basketball shouldbe halved from 64 teams to 32. (too many teams that have no chance o fwinning with 64 teams.)

And a football playoff should be 8 teams -not 16 like I posted before (same reason)

Last edited:
I am old School.

Always liked freshman teams.

The Big Dance in basketball shouldbe halved from 64 teams to 32. (too many teams that have no chance o fwinning with 64 teams.)

And a football playoff should be 8 teams -not 16 like I posted before (same reason)

Having to maintain 2 separate teams (with one having 3 classes of students and the other having only 1) is a useless burden.

The freshmen today are more athletically adpet and likely to be better trained than they were in the past.

I would be happier with an 8 team playoff than I am about the 4 team one we are likely to get. But the system most being discussed would not have changed the outcome of the 2011 season.

I think the more teams the better. A 16 team playoff starting after Thanksgiving would be excellent.

That was an uninformed and stupid thing to write.

"College sports" is made of of thousands of institutions and perhaps hundreds of thousands of athletes.

THere are a bunch of different athletic organizations - the largest being the NCAA, which is, in turn, divided into several divisions.

A small percentage of athletes - less than 1%, even has some kind of dream of possibly playing professionally some day. The vast majority don't even play sports that have well established pro leagues.... Those that do, even the stars of very successfull teams - like Butler's Matt Howard, simply know that they'll never be professional stars.

The vast majority of college athletes play for 2 reasons.... the same 2 reasons I did.

1. Love of the game.
2. To help finance college.

A tiny sliver see college as a springboard to the pros.

Glad I could help you better understand "college sports"

A bit more on the whole "college sports is just a farm team for the pros" nonsense.

While SamJones certainly debunked your entire claim, lets look at the numbers if you were correct.

The average salary for college graduates is $46,000. The minimum salary for a rookie in the NFL is $310,000. And the average NFL career is 3.5 years.

In 3.5 years a player will earn $1,085,000.00 at the minimum salary. It would take a bit over 23 years to earn that amount at $46k per year.

The average salary for nfl players is $1.9 million, and the median salary is $770,000. If you use the lower number, the players earn $2.695 million in 3.5 years. It would take 29 years at twice the average salary for college graduates to equal it.

I don't know about you, but if my kids had the opportunity I would encourage them to be "farmed".

The average salary for college graduates is $46,000. The minimum salary for a rookie in the NFL is $310,000. And the average NFL career is 3.5 years.

In 3.5 years a player will earn $1,085,000.00 at the minimum salary. It would take a bit over 23 years to earn that amount at $46k per year.

The average salary for nfl players is $1.9 million, and the median salary is $770,000. If you use the lower number, the players earn $2.695 million in 3.5 years. It would take 29 years at twice the average salary for college graduates to equal it.

I don't know about you, but if my kids had the opportunity I would encourage them to be "farmed".

Yabbut, this only applies to football... and basketball, sort of. For other major pro sports the NCAA doesn't really function as a great development league. It's barely so/so as a development league for baseball and hockey and is definitely *NOT* a development league for tennis or golf.

Even for football, your argument is basically "if you get asked to join an NFL then do" - which I don't disagree with for all the reasons you've stated and more. Many football players have a more complex decision to make about whether to continue playing professionally after college.

You should look up the pay for NFL practice-squad players... or CFL players.... or arena league players.....

Then you would know how difficult the decision to continue playing as a pro can be.

Forum List

Back