Plumes of oil spreading east on sea floor

kings of denial?

westwall was quoting YOUR ARTICLE:

The collected water samples had no odor of oil and the plume is mostly water mixed with some hydrocarbons that include oil. "The plume was not a river of Hershey’s syrup," said Reddy. "But that’s not to say it isn’t harmful to the environment."

It doesn'r sound as if there's anything to say it IS harmful either.

I'm wondering who's benefiting most from the continuing blather? Even if the plume WAS PROVEN to be an environmental horror show, WTF are we supposed to do?

Sorry US, didn't see your earlier post with this. Thanks!

But Obama told us it was all gone. And Democrats never lie, especially about science. Only evil Republicans hate science.

already got a thread on this
Frank won't believe it exists unless we can get a picture of the whole thing.

How many pictures does he want?

Scientific proof that the Deepwater oil plume is over 20 miles long

It is dispersed oil on the sea floor, not likely to rise again. Can do some damage but not likely to do a lot where it really hurts on shore and in the shallows.

The media misrepresented what the government and BP have said. They can not find oil on the surface because most of it as evaporated. What did not evaporate dispersed and sank to the bottom. They never claimed you would not find any at the bottom.

But Obama told us it was all gone. And Democrats never lie, especially about science. Only evil Republicans hate science.

already got a thread on this
Frank won't believe it exists unless we can get a picture of the whole thing.

How many pictures does he want?

Scientific proof that the Deepwater oil plume is over 20 miles long

Interesting point, although I never heard him say that the oil was all cleaned up. I think you are referencing that he said that the oil has stopped leaking from the well, but I could be wrong, and you did hear something I didn't.

Also, speaking as a Democrat, we lie about science just as much as everyone else, however, we accept it much more regularly than (and i will continue your generalizations) Republicans. This means that we accept good theories quicker, but that we are also more prone to accepting bad ones as well. However, this does not mean that ONLY Republicans or ONLY Democrats lie about science. Did Republicans "lie" by saying that Global Warming isn't happening, yes. Did Al Gore "lie" by saying that it was a urgent problem and that any effort me made could stop is, yes. So in a way both sides were right.

Now back from that tangent, i agree that this oil plume is a disastrous leftover from a disastrous oil spill, but it would be folly to somehow lay blame for it still being there on ANY administration, that is either the Bush or the Obama administration. They both did stupid things that shouldn't have been done and which helped BP go unchecked.

I think that we should be raging at BP and lawmakers so as to prevent this from occurring again, and praise the efforts of the thousands of laborers who had nothing to do with what happened. It is shameful and offensive to be complaining that these workers didn't do the cleanup right. They did everything they could.

It is dispersed oil on the sea floor, not likely to rise again. Can do some damage but not likely to do a lot where it really hurts on shore and in the shallows.

The media misrepresented what the government and BP have said. They can not find oil on the surface because most of it as evaporated. What did not evaporate dispersed and sank to the bottom. They never claimed you would not find any at the bottom.

It is definitely not on the sea floor. Read up:
"Plume of oil 650ft high found in Gulf waters"
Plume of oil 650ft high found in Gulf waters - Science, News - The Independent

At this point they are not sure what damage it may cause. I hope as you state that it is not likely to do a lot of damage.

A quote from the report.

"We don’t know how toxic it is," said Chris Reddy, who like Camilli works for the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. "And we don’t know how it formed, or why. But knowing the size, shape, depth and heading of this plume will be vital for answering many of these questions."

The collected water samples had no odor of oil and the plume is mostly water mixed with some hydrocarbons that include oil. "The plume was not a river of Hershey’s syrup," said Reddy. "But that’s not to say it isn’t harmful to the environment."

From long experience if there is no odor it is a very very small amount of oil. Is it bad for the environment? Maybe. Benthic creatures actually love to eat the stuff so the effect is unknown for the moment.

If the scientists weren't using some very sophisticated equipment you wouldn't know it was there in all probability. Does that make it OK? Of course not, but it is not some huge grease spot in the ocean either.

The claims I am hearing from government scientists is that 75% of the oil has been cleaned up. I don't know what claims are supposedly being misrepresented here, but I know that some scientist think less than 25% of the actually leak has actually been recovered. But thanks for pointing out to me that it is actually about semantics, and that the government really meant to say oil on the surface when they touted that cleanup figure.

Interesting point, although I never heard him say that the oil was all cleaned up. I think you are referencing that he said that the oil has stopped leaking from the well, but I could be wrong, and you did hear something I didn't.

Also, speaking as a Democrat, we lie about science just as much as everyone else, however, we accept it much more regularly than (and i will continue your generalizations) Republicans. This means that we accept good theories quicker, but that we are also more prone to accepting bad ones as well. However, this does not mean that ONLY Republicans or ONLY Democrats lie about science. Did Republicans "lie" by saying that Global Warming isn't happening, yes. Did Al Gore "lie" by saying that it was a urgent problem and that any effort me made could stop is, yes. So in a way both sides were right.

Now back from that tangent, i agree that this oil plume is a disastrous leftover from a disastrous oil spill, but it would be folly to somehow lay blame for it still being there on ANY administration, that is either the Bush or the Obama administration. They both did stupid things that shouldn't have been done and which helped BP go unchecked.

I think that we should be raging at BP and lawmakers so as to prevent this from occurring again, and praise the efforts of the thousands of laborers who had nothing to do with what happened. It is shameful and offensive to be complaining that these workers didn't do the cleanup right. They did everything they could.

The claim was that around 75% of the oil remains to poise a threat to the environment. the rest is either evaporated or dispersed, and is thus harmless. Not only is that estimate in serious dispute, but there is nothing to back up the claim that the remaining oil poses no danger in its present form.

As for my barb about Democrats, that was specifically aimed at one person who insist that all Republicans are anti science and education. I fully believe that most reasonable people understand that all politicians lie about everything, and that no one party is responsible for all the bad things that happen, anymore than they are responsible for all the good things that happen.

My problem with the plume is the way the Obama administration is dismissing the questions that exist about it. The oil may be dispersed, and thus less of a danger, but it is still there, and it will impact the microscopic life that interacts with it. I do not think that it is going to be as bad as the doomsayers are saying, but that does not mean it is perfectly safe either.

The clean up efforts were fantastic, and everyone who actually got out there and helped deserves praise. The bureaucrats who hampered it in anyway should all be fired. BP is paying for everything, and if it is true that some executives ordered that corners be cut they should be fired, and possibly prosecuted, as should the people at MMS who allowed them to get away with it.

A quote from the report.

"We don’t know how toxic it is," said Chris Reddy, who like Camilli works for the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. "And we don’t know how it formed, or why. But knowing the size, shape, depth and heading of this plume will be vital for answering many of these questions."

From long experience if there is no odor it is a very very small amount of oil. Is it bad for the environment? Maybe. Benthic creatures actually love to eat the stuff so the effect is unknown for the moment.

If the scientists weren't using some very sophisticated equipment you wouldn't know it was there in all probability. Does that make it OK? Of course not, but it is not some huge grease spot in the ocean either.

I know shrimpers form the area who are being told it is safe to fish, and to sell their catch. They tell me that the shrimp are discolored and that they do not want to be responsible if someone gets sick from eating their catch. I won't be buying any Gulf Coast shrimp this year.

Forum List

Back