Plug-Ins!! Yes or No

Support of laws for plug-ins in conjunction with an overall energy policy

• Yes, we should require them and build every resource we have

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, It's just more Govt. telling me what to do.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
I've been giving this some thought and come to the conclusion that regardless of all the scientific debate over the causes of climate change, be it man made or not man made, to regulate on one set of conslusions seems to be an effort that would enrich only a few rather than benefit everyone. Having said all that our nation needs to be able to secure a energy futire that is free of the need to depend upon nations that do not have our interests at heart and most of the time use the very monies that are paid them by us to finanace terrorist operations against this nation. So consider, each time you go to the gas pump you are in a small way helping fund the very people that have set out to kill Americans the world over including here. Another issue that our nation has faced for a number of years is the loss of jobs to foreign nations due to several reasons, among them cheaper labor, less restrictive environmental policies, and lower tax burdens. So rather than focus on the why's of the science,as a nation it would seem to me to be the prudent thing to focus on what is the best way to secure our energy future. In my mind that future should begin in applying all the new technologies and make them available and produce them in this nation. Take Plug-In Hybrids fir instance. Toyota has annoced it's intention to build and sell by 2011 a plug-in hybrid that will get upwards of 135 milies a gallon. If you apply technologies such as these, along with an upgraded energy grid that includes, solar, wond, nuclear, natural gas, domestic oil, clean coal, geo-thermal, and many others. Then you have not only created jobs and long term ones, you have created a Stimulus that will secure a bright future for our children and grandchildren.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnvSnbS-2iE&feature=related[/ame]

That is the general direction we need to go.
Unfortunately it will not really happen because of greed, spoiled Americans, etc.

We will be pissing and moaning about $15/gal gas in 2020.

And whining how Cap and chrade has raised our electric bills on our non energy efficient houses.

Last edited:
Plugs would be great because then we could finally get off foreign oil. No just use but Europe, China and India also.

The Fat Ass in Venezuela would be done. No more plandering to the Middle Eastern Terrorist states and it would be like one big economic nuclear bomb attack on Russia!

It is going to be glorious to see all the named about fall!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5vTCLMKNk[/ame]

You know I thught about this for a moment, what about providing something like this? or tax credits . To me things such as these can only have positive results.

You know....a country that was BEHIND us, is now AHEAD of us in many ways.

Brazil.

10 years ago they stated that they wanted to be energy independent in 10 years. They converted over to hybrids, made bio fuel out of sugar cane and did a whole lot of other things.

They are now energy independent, owing NOTHING to outside interests for energy.

Why can't we be that way?

I voted no.

I want to own a vehicle I can repair.

My wife has a new car, but all my vehicles are computer free, points and condenser ignition and vacuum lines.

I voted no.

My wife has a new car, but all my vehicles are computer free, points and condenser ignition and vacuum lines.

Umm they have training in electronics and auto mechanics.

I suppose you have no microwave or TV either?
I love changing the oil and adjusting the points in my computer and cellphone.

I voted no.

Personally I think that the impact of requiring plug-ins or a percentage on new cars would not impact someone that wanted to repair or work on their own car or existing cars. I honestly think that it's more or less a numbers game, when you have enough cars and trucks on the road that have a high enough fuel standard that we as a nation can use our own sources of domestic oil production to suppliment the rest then it will be a positive thing for everyone.

I voted no.

You DO realize that electric vehicles have LESS moving parts, as well as are EASIER to repair than gas engines, right?

Might want to re-think that one. Oh yeah.....electric vehicles have better torque than gas ones because the power goes to the wheel immediately.

And now, with the technology in electrics, some cars are equal to, or better than, most gas powered cars.

I support increasing diesel vehicle use and the return to diesel fuel as it was intended to be... I also support plug in cars if people want them... more hybrids if people want them.. human powered vehicles if people want them... solar powered cars if people want them... but not to have them absolutely forced of mandated by government

I voted no.

Umm they have training in electronics and auto mechanics.

I suppose you have no microwave or TV either?
I love changing the oil and adjusting the points in my computer and cellphone.

First, I didn't say I would do without, I said I don't want the government to dictate that I must have a microwave when I prefer cooking with an old fashion oven.

Second, do you own a $25,000 TV that could cost $10,000 to repair?

When my $50 microwave breaks, I buy a new microwave.

I voted no.

You DO realize that electric vehicles have LESS moving parts, as well as are EASIER to repair than gas engines, right?

Might want to re-think that one. Oh yeah.....electric vehicles have better torque than gas ones because the power goes to the wheel immediately.

And now, with the technology in electrics, some cars are equal to, or better than, most gas powered cars.

That's interesting, I didn't know that.

I have been poisoned against new vehicles by the ones they market today that I can't even diagnose without buying a $2000 computer.

And most mechanics just do what the computer tells them, replacing parts until they find the defective one that caused the problem.

Therefore you pay for a bunch of new parts that you didn't need.

But I have worked on electric golf carts, so I did know electric motors produced more torque.

I will look into the ease/difficulty of electric car repair.

Heck no I would not pay 25,000 for a car. I have a well used but nice looking van with wheelchair lift, etc. Prior to that I drove a Subaru for 20 years.

I can afford to pay cash for a new Mercedes but choose not to.
I do not need to buy status.

One thing on points and such. Cars with feuel injection sytstema, airbags, antilock brakes, etc are much safer and more reliable than the old one.
You get a new car now and it is likely you will go 59k or so before you do anything except change oil.
A 63 impala would be pretty well shot at 100k but now we commonly put nearly 200k on our vehicles.

Back to the topic, I don't want to derail the thread.

We can have our own thread on the advantages and disadvantages of old vs. new vehicles.

Last edited:
...and how much will the disposal cost be, not to mention the battery cost? You tried to move a 400lbs. battery from a car?

...and how much will the disposal cost be, not to mention the battery cost? You tried to move a 400lbs. battery from a car?

the battery store would likely do it for you. I guess we should trash all thos battery powered forklifts in our businesses? Disposal? Last I heard auto bbatteries were worth $4 scrap. If you are paying a disposal fee you are getting ripped.
What a scam charge you disposal fee and then selll it to a recycler.

Forum List

Back