Pleaserobme.com

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
House thieves have been given a leg-up by a new Web site that allows people to see whether or not you are at home -- thanks to information you're probably already posting online.

The site, Please Rob Me, works by taking data from sites such as Twitter and Facebook, relying on users checking into various locations. It then presents "opportunities" to visitors to "Please Rob Me" when it appears someone is not home.

In one 10-minute period, Please Rob Me presented 289 "new opportunities" as the site listed people who had checked into places such as work, the airport and the supermarket and posted their location on Twitter or Facebook.

FOXNews.com - PleaseRobMe.com: The Problem with Twitter and Facebook

Dangerous times...

Just another reason for me not to use Twitter of Facebook.
(Like I actually needed a reason in the first place)

House thieves have been given a leg-up by a new Web site that allows people to see whether or not you are at home -- thanks to information you're probably already posting online.

The site, Please Rob Me, works by taking data from sites such as Twitter and Facebook, relying on users checking into various locations. It then presents "opportunities" to visitors to "Please Rob Me" when it appears someone is not home.

In one 10-minute period, Please Rob Me presented 289 "new opportunities" as the site listed people who had checked into places such as work, the airport and the supermarket and posted their location on Twitter or Facebook.

FOXNews.com - PleaseRobMe.com: The Problem with Twitter and Facebook

Dangerous times...

I use facebook . . . mostly just as a way to keep in touch with the college kid and some family that I don't see very often. I friended some friends of the college kid and for the life of me can't figure out why they seemlying post every breath they take and every exhale. Why do people feel the need to document their every move? There's one friend of my daugters that I can peg when she will and won't be home from her postings on facebook. Dumb. No one cares that you're at work or the supermarket or the airport . . . well, almost no one. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back