Please talk me down out of the crazy tree on this, BUT...

Hopefully just thousands of miles away in open water.

Toldja I was up in the crazy tree!

yeah, it's not like we use the ocean
Yeah, we stopped using it after all of the atmospheric nuclear tests and wartime detonations, and all of the underwater tests.

because nuking 6 nuclear reactors that have large quantities of radioactive materials is exactly the same as your examples, einstein. :lol:

I do believe poor old Midnight has gone senile. It seems simply beyond his ability to comprehend that the nuclear blast would only create even more unstable isotopes, and then loft them into the stratosphere to be carried worldwide.

Yeah, we stopped using it after all of the atmospheric nuclear tests and wartime detonations, and all of the underwater tests.

because nuking 6 nuclear reactors that have large quantities of radioactive materials is exactly the same as your examples, einstein. :lol:
It's four, but after one, who's counting! :razz:

Actually, 6.

4 that are in danger. 2 that are operating normally. 6 total at the plant.

There are zero upsides, and doing so would actually make things much, much, much worse.

The biggest danger in Japan is that 6 reactors, all of which are 30+ years old and which are laden with 30 years of nuclear waste and contamination would explode and send that contamination into the upper atmosphere.

Nuking the plant would destroy very little of that radiation. But it would spread it magnificently.
To where?

Same place 100+ atmospheric detonations went?

The site would be vaporized. Fissionable material, vaporized. It would go into atmosphere and be carried off into the ocean by the winds.

I'm not talking using a H-Bomb, or even one of our big ones. Just a mid-sized tactical nuke. No massive mushroom cloud, just enough destructive power to clear the site and carry the particulates off into the ocean we've also detonated warheads in dozens of times.

Compared to the damage this plant has the potential to do?

You haven't given this much thought.
Most of the other test blasts were done underground or underwater. I doubt you'd want to go to Bikini Atoll even today. And Trinity New Mexico? Still a little hazardous for those long weekends in some regards. We don't know how messy the blast spots are in Russia and China.

But if you did nuke the plant all that fissile material would be blasted into the atmosphere and spread quite rapidly around the world. because the radioactive material doesn't disintegrate.

I seem to recall someone once saying that there are at least a few atoms of uranium in every living being in the world because of the nuclear tests. Hard to really believe, but an odd thing to consider.

Hope that gets you down out of that crazy tree. Novel idea, but... yeah...not gonna do it.

I'd rather see them pump in a lead slurry or liquid lead into those things. Since lead melts at like 400degrees, even that is cooler than those rods and lead absorbs radiation. Of course, I don't know how you'd get that much lead there in time.

I do believe poor old Midnight has gone senile. It seems simply beyond his ability to comprehend that the nuclear blast would only create even more unstable isotopes, and then loft them into the stratosphere to be carried worldwide.
It seems to be beyond your comprehension that this isn't a serious proposal, it is a parlor-type mental exersize that is FUN.

However, your completely uninformed and alarmist, doomsayer speculation is noted.

I seem to recall someone once saying that there are at least a few atoms of uranium in every living being in the world because of the nuclear tests. Hard to really believe, but an odd thing to consider.
Uranium comes up out of the ground... Not 238 of course though.
I'd rather see them pump in a lead slurry or liquid lead into those things. Since lead melts at like 400degrees, even that is cooler than those rods and lead absorbs radiation. Of course, I don't know how you'd get that much lead there in time.
The problem I see with sandbagging it is, the cores are not really all that exposed. At Chernobyl, they didn't have a containment vessel per se, and the sandbagging helped. I suppose the buildings housing the reactors could act as the form for the concrete, but we are talking untold TONS of the stuff needed, for each reactor.

He almost certainly knows as much, he's just a dickhead, pimpled up little kid trying to jerk people off for his own entertainment.

Nobody could possibly be as tarded as that MM dude and be a mod on Gunny's board.

He's just a manipulative bottom dweller undeserving of the attention he is addicted to manufacturing.

Leave him alone and watch him curl and crawl like a worm in withdrawal.

He almost certainly knows as much, he's just a dickhead, pimpled up little kid trying to jerk people off for his own entertainment.

Nobody could possibly be as tarded as that MM dude and be a mod on Gunny's board.

He's just a manipulative bottom dweller undeserving of the attention he is addicted to manufacturing.

Back from taking care of your munchies and changing your Depends?

one shouldn't do those two things simultaneously.

one shouldn't do those two things simultaneously.
:lol::lol:

NOT a mental picture I wanted!

Consider this; the "cleanest" form of nuclear/thermonuclear weapon detonation is a high altitude airburst; for the same weapon yield, the EMP, thermal pulse, and blast wave radius will be larger, but there will be lee fallout, since most "fallout" is NOT the residue of the weapon itself, but ground debris, irradiated and sucked up in the blast column. A low altitude airburst, or ground burst, is correspondingly "dirtier", as it picks up more of the ground debris (now radioactive) and lifts it in the blast column, to the upper atmosphere, from which it will fall back too earth over a wider area, heavier particles first.

So, in the present case, that "ground debris" would already include a lot of already highly radioactive material to begin with, creating an even dirtier ground burst. It would be equivalent to packing the weapon with even more fissile material which was not part of the actual detonation. In other words, all your "tactical nuke" will do, is create an even larger and dirtier blast plume, containing an even higher amount of heavier radioactive elements with relatively long half-lives. The resulting fallout would likely make Chernobyl look like a minor incident. This is why nuking the complex is a very, very, bad idea.

The best bet, if the worst comes to the worst, and the situation cannot be stabilized and controlled, would probably be to bury the entire complex under concrete, another containment structure, and possibly then more concrete, somewhat like what the Russians did at Chernobyl. That will seal it off, and prevent any further venting or spreading of the contaminated material, including what's left of the fuel rods). It's probably safe to assume at this point that none of the reactors there will ever be operable again, anyway (pumping in seawater pretty much took care of that already.)

Last edited:

Did you get banned for laughing at MM?

What a huge surprise.

Uranium comes up out of the ground... Not 238 of course though.
The problem I see with sandbagging it is, the cores are not really all that exposed. At Chernobyl, they didn't have a containment vessel per se, and the sandbagging helped. I suppose the buildings housing the reactors could act as the form for the concrete, but we are talking untold TONS of the stuff needed, for each reactor.
I'm talking about pumping it INTO the reactor to stop the reaction. Destroys the reactor, but stops, (hopefully) the reaction.

And I doubt there is a flashpoint for Lead. Just a very low melting point.

Here's the wiki chemical data:

Melting point 600.61 K,  327.46 °C,  621.43 °F Boiling point 2022 K,  1749 °C,  3180 °F Heat of fusion 4.77 kJ·mol−1 Heat of vaporization 179.5 kJ·mol−1 Specific heat capacity (25 °C) 26.650 J·mol−1·K−1

Forum List

Back