Please listen to a truly offended veteran's Mother

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
Can there still be any question that President Bush is a coward? Is there any remaining doubt that Bush is not only a coward, but that he doesn't give two shakes about the thousands of men and women he has sent off to die, be mutilated, or be psychologically traumatized? Any such questions should be put firmly to rest by the story of Cindy Sheehan.

On April 4, 2004, Cindy's son Casey died while ridding the world of Saddam's weapons of mass destruction - or liberating the oppressed Iraqis, or bringing peace and stability to the Middle East, or whatever lie the Bush administration happened to be telling at the time to justify their arrogant and short-sighted decision to thrust the U.S. into a wholly unnecessary and irresponsible war. In short, Casey died because his Commander in Chief, our dear President, sent him off to war.

Now, a little more than a year after her son's death, Cindy wants answers. She wants to know why her son had to die. She wants to know why we invaded a country that posed no legitimate threat to our national interests. She wants to know the meaning of the Downing Street Memo's statement that within the Bush administration, "the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy." She wants to know what Bush means when he refers to the "noble cause" for which her son was killed. She wants to know why, if the cause is so damn noble, Bush's own kids aren't fighting for it?

To that end, Cindy and the family members of many more casualties of Bush's war have set up camp outside Bush's Crawford, Texas ranch, demanding to speak with the man in charge.

Only Bush isn't talking. Instead, he cowers behind the protection of one of his infamous "free speech zones," safe from the impertinent questioning of those naive enough to still think the U.S. is a democracy. He struts around in his boots and hat, pretending to be a cowboy from Texas instead of a rich-boy from Connecticut who summered in Maine. He hides, hoping the unsavory characters at his door will simply go away.

Bush's refusal to speak to Cindy should come as no surprise. As made clear by his innumerable made-for-television "town hall meetings," Bush is either too dumb or too cowardly to face unscripted questions, much less be challenged by citizens who hadn't first passed their screen tests and sworn loyalty oaths. In keeping with his fear of anything resembling real leadership, Bush won't let even Cindy and her comrades within four miles of his desolate ranch. They were only allowed to come that close after being forced to park their vehicles eight miles away and then walk four miles in a ditch. When they dared walk on the road, they weren't permitted to go any further. Talk about gratitude: thanks for your unimaginable sacrifice, now walk four miles in this ditch.

Undeterred by the offensive treatment she received on Bush's orders, Cindy has vowed to remain camped (far) outside the ranch until Bush decides to suck it up and talk to her. If he can't muster the courage in Texas, Cindy's vowed to follow Bush to Washington. She's got nothing to lose. Her son's already dead.

Granted, Bush did speak with Cindy once before, approximately two months after her son was killed. Cindy claims that she was still in shock at the time, and who could blame her? Imagine the scene: a bereaved mother, grappling with the impossible concept that her son was dead. While in her state of mind-numbing grief and confusion, Bush consoles her with the same hollow platitudes used on countless other occasions. "Your son/daughter/husband/wife died in a noble and selfless cause." She nods her head, says thank you, sobs, and wonders how to rid herself of the ache in her chest. Meanwhile, Bush moves on to mechanically repeat the same lines to another grieving victim of his war on terror.

The question is, why won't Bush hear out Cindy and her colleagues? If he is so cock-sure that his war in Iraq is "a noble and selfless cause," why would he feel threatened by those who question that assessment? If his administration did not fix the intelligence around its Iraq policy, why not answer the questions of those concerned by the Downing Street Memo and put their doubts to rest? If Bush does truly mourn every loss of American life lost in Iraq, why not come down from his lofty perch and give those whose loved ones have died in Iraq the respect they deserve, instead of forcing them to walk in a ditch?

No need to answer. The questions are rhetorical.

Psychoblues

Oh of course you wind up with 'rhetorical' since that fits your agenda so nicely. I guess you ARE aware of this then:

http://www.thereporter.com/republished

Article Launched: 06/24/2004 06:00:00 AM

Bush, Sheehans share moments
By David Henson/Staff Writer

Since learning in April that their son, Army Spc. Casey Sheehan, had been killed in Iraq, life has been everything but normal for the Sheehan family of Vacaville.

Casey's parents, Cindy and Patrick, as well as their three children, have attended event after event honoring the soldier both locally and abroad, received countless letters of support and fielded questions from reporters across the country.

"That's the way our whole lives have been since April 4," Patrick said. "It's been surreal."

But none of that prepared the family for the message left on their answering machine last week, inviting them to have a face-to-face meeting with President George W. Bush at Fort Lewis near Seattle.

Surreal soon seemed like an understatement, as the Sheehans - one of 17 families who met Thursday with Bush - were whisked in a matter of days to the Army post and given the VIP treatment from the military. But as their meeting with the president approached, the family was faced with a dilemma as to what to say when faced with Casey's commander-in-chief.

"We haven't been happy with the way the war has been handled," Cindy said. "The president has changed his reasons for being over there every time a reason is proven false or an objective reached."

The 10 minutes of face time with the president could have given the family a chance to vent their frustrations or ask Bush some of the difficult questions they have been asking themselves, such as whether Casey's sacrifice would make the world a safer place.

But in the end, the family decided against such talk, deferring to how they believed Casey would have wanted them to act. In addition, Pat noted that Bush wasn't stumping for votes or trying to gain a political edge for the upcoming election.

"We have a lot of respect for the office of the president, and I have a new respect for him because he was sincere and he didn't have to take the time to meet with us," Pat said.

Sincerity was something Cindy had hoped to find in the meeting. Shortly after Casey died, Bush sent the family a form letter expressing his condolences, and Cindy said she felt it was an impersonal gesture.

"I now know he's sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis," Cindy said after their meeting. "I know he's sorry and feels some pain for our loss. And I know he's a man of faith."

The meeting didn't last long, but in their time with Bush, Cindy spoke about Casey and asked the president to make her son's sacrifice count for something. They also spoke of their faith.

While meeting with Bush, as well as Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, was an honor, it was almost a tangent benefit of the trip. The Sheehans said they enjoyed meeting the other families of fallen soldiers, sharing stories, contact information, grief and support.

For some, grief was still visceral and raw, while for others it had melted into the background of their lives, the pain as common as breathing. Cindy said she saw her reflection in the troubled eyes of each.

"It's hard to lose a son," she said. "But we (all) lost a son in the Iraqi war."

The trip had one benefit that none of the Sheehans expected.

For a moment, life returned to the way it was before Casey died. They laughed, joked and bickered playfully as they briefly toured Seattle.

For the first time in 11 weeks, they felt whole again.
"That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness, of being together," Cindy said.

David Henson can be reached at [email protected]

A mother that will denigrated her son's and others for her own agenda, that's worse than low.

How many friggen times are you guys going to post the same exact thread/subject in one week? We're up to 3, I believe.

smilies-29231.png

(rant over - carry on)

This is going to sound incredibly cold, but I am going to say it anyway. I know that I care deeply about the men and women serving in Iraq because I have several friends currently there, I know that I care about their parents because I keep in touch with them, and fill them in on whatever I know of relevance....

However...

Asking a grieving parent, spouse, or child is their loved ones death was worth it is not neccessarily the best way to judge the value and/or importance of the war.

I am sure that if we could we could find parents and wives who felt that turning away from the King and starting a new nation was a terrible idea after their sons and husbands died for that idea. I am sure that if we could, we could find a poor, unbelievably sad woman screaming about how we were all traitors to the King and how her son or husband died for a dishonest, terrible cause.

Same for the Civil War, and WWI and II...if we looked...there will be people who do not feel that their child's, spouse's life was worth the cause it was lost for.

Does this mean that we shouldn't listen to these people? Absolutely not. Their loved one gave the ultimate sacrifice...and that sacrifice means that they can speak out, ask the President to meet with them, speak to the press, etc.

We should respect their loss and listen to them. Our hearts should go out to them. But we should also see these comments for what they are (whether they be good for the war effort or bad): the greiving comments of a heartbroken person trying to deal with the pain of loss.

As a nation, we should constantly be evaluating whether or not our actions are worthwhile, whether the gains or potential gains outweigh the terrible costs...however, we need to make sure that in an emotional reaction to a greiving loved one...we do not take actions that would cause MORE grief, MORE pain, and MORE sufferring later on.

This woman has obviously become absolutely overwhelmed with grief. It is making her act irrationally...meeting with the President one day and feeling comforted by his words...meeting with moveon.org another day and feeling that Bush doesn't care about her son or her loss.

We should be aware and respect both aspects of her mourning process....but we should not base our Iraq/Afganistan policy on it.

Gem said:
This is going to sound incredibly cold, but I am going to say it anyway. I know that I care deeply about the men and women serving in Iraq because I have several friends currently there, I know that I care about their parents because I keep in touch with them, and fill them in on whatever I know of relevance....

However...

Asking a grieving parent, spouse, or child is their loved ones death was worth it is not neccessarily the best way to judge the value and/or importance of the war.

I am sure that if we could we could find parents and wives who felt that turning away from the King and starting a new nation was a terrible idea after their sons and husbands died for that idea. I am sure that if we could, we could find a poor, unbelievably sad woman screaming about how we were all traitors to the King and how her son or husband died for a dishonest, terrible cause.

Same for the Civil War, and WWI and II...if we looked...there will be people who do not feel that their child's, spouse's life was worth the cause it was lost for.

Does this mean that we shouldn't listen to these people? Absolutely not. Their loved one gave the ultimate sacrifice...and that sacrifice means that they can speak out, ask the President to meet with them, speak to the press, etc.

We should respect their loss and listen to them. Our hearts should go out to them. But we should also see these comments for what they are (whether they be good for the war effort or bad): the greiving comments of a heartbroken person trying to deal with the pain of loss.

As a nation, we should constantly be evaluating whether or not our actions are worthwhile, whether the gains or potential gains outweigh the terrible costs...however, we need to make sure that in an emotional reaction to a greiving loved one...we do not take actions that would cause MORE grief, MORE pain, and MORE sufferring later on.

This woman has obviously become absolutely overwhelmed with grief. It is making her act irrationally...meeting with the President one day and feeling comforted by his words...meeting with moveon.org another day and feeling that Bush doesn't care about her son or her loss.

We should be aware and respect both aspects of her mourning process....but we should not base our Iraq/Afganistan policy on it.
Perfect assessment, as usual.

If every task ever undertaken were opposed by some mother somewhere, nothing would have ever gotten done, we would still be cowering in caves when the big bad tiger stalked by.

LuvRPgrl said:
If every task ever undertaken were opposed by some mother somewhere, nothing would have ever gotten done, we would still be cowering in caves when the big bad tiger stalked by.

i know mom's that would send your ass out there to kill the tiger then give ya shit when ya got killed and sass ya with....do i have to do everything effen thing myself

The time to question whether the military is the right career for you (or your son/daughter) is before you enlist. Once you enlist, you are vowing to serve your Commander-in-Chief for a certain length of time. Period. Not for whatever operations you or your mother happen to like.

I think her son would be mortified to see how his mother has devalued his death by denigrating the President he served, and the war in which he gave his very life.

And shame on you libs who try to use this misguided woman as your standard-bearer!

• Thanks
Reactions: Gem
Quote "And shame on you libs who try to use this misguided woman as your standard-bearer!"

Cindy Sheehan is not a "lib". Many of her supporters are not "libs".

We want to know what in God's name is going on. Period.

George W. Bush is not helping to answer that question and neither are his cohorts and administration employees.

Psychoblues

Psychoblues said:
Quote "And shame on you libs who try to use this misguided woman as your standard-bearer!"

Cindy Sheehan is not a "lib". Many of her supporters are not "libs".

We want to know what in God's name is going on. Period.

George W. Bush is not helping to answer that question and neither are his cohorts and administration employees.

Psychoblues

She founded Gold Star Families, an organization made up of families who have lost members to the Iraq War.

Other members include Lila Lipscomb of Fahrenheit 9/11 fame and Sue Niederer, who challenged Laura Bush to send her daughters to Iraq and was arrested by secret service agents.

Not libs....right.......

GotZoom said:
She founded Gold Star Families, an organization made up of families who have lost members to the Iraq War.

Other members include Lila Lipscomb of Fahrenheit 9/11 fame and Sue Niederer, who challenged Laura Bush to send her daughters to Iraq and was arrested by secret service agents.

Not libs....right.......

Compelling points, GZ. They carry more weight than someone merely typing "Cindy is not a lib", ya know?

Psychoblues said:
Can there still be any question that President Bush is a coward? Is there any remaining doubt that Bush is not only a coward, but that he doesn't give two shakes about the thousands of men and women he has sent off to die, be mutilated, or be psychologically traumatized? Any such questions should be put firmly to rest by the story of Cindy Sheehan.

On April 4, 2004, Cindy's son Casey died while ridding the world of Saddam's weapons of mass destruction - or liberating the oppressed Iraqis, or bringing peace and stability to the Middle East, or whatever lie the Bush administration happened to be telling at the time to justify their arrogant and short-sighted decision to thrust the U.S. into a wholly unnecessary and irresponsible war. In short, Casey died because his Commander in Chief, our dear President, sent him off to war.

Now, a little more than a year after her son's death, Cindy wants answers. She wants to know why her son had to die. She wants to know why we invaded a country that posed no legitimate threat to our national interests. She wants to know the meaning of the Downing Street Memo's statement that within the Bush administration, "the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy." She wants to know what Bush means when he refers to the "noble cause" for which her son was killed. She wants to know why, if the cause is so damn noble, Bush's own kids aren't fighting for it?

To that end, Cindy and the family members of many more casualties of Bush's war have set up camp outside Bush's Crawford, Texas ranch, demanding to speak with the man in charge.

Only Bush isn't talking. Instead, he cowers behind the protection of one of his infamous "free speech zones," safe from the impertinent questioning of those naive enough to still think the U.S. is a democracy. He struts around in his boots and hat, pretending to be a cowboy from Texas instead of a rich-boy from Connecticut who summered in Maine. He hides, hoping the unsavory characters at his door will simply go away.

Bush's refusal to speak to Cindy should come as no surprise. As made clear by his innumerable made-for-television "town hall meetings," Bush is either too dumb or too cowardly to face unscripted questions, much less be challenged by citizens who hadn't first passed their screen tests and sworn loyalty oaths. In keeping with his fear of anything resembling real leadership, Bush won't let even Cindy and her comrades within four miles of his desolate ranch. They were only allowed to come that close after being forced to park their vehicles eight miles away and then walk four miles in a ditch. When they dared walk on the road, they weren't permitted to go any further. Talk about gratitude: thanks for your unimaginable sacrifice, now walk four miles in this ditch.

Undeterred by the offensive treatment she received on Bush's orders, Cindy has vowed to remain camped (far) outside the ranch until Bush decides to suck it up and talk to her. If he can't muster the courage in Texas, Cindy's vowed to follow Bush to Washington. She's got nothing to lose. Her son's already dead.

Granted, Bush did speak with Cindy once before, approximately two months after her son was killed. Cindy claims that she was still in shock at the time, and who could blame her? Imagine the scene: a bereaved mother, grappling with the impossible concept that her son was dead. While in her state of mind-numbing grief and confusion, Bush consoles her with the same hollow platitudes used on countless other occasions. "Your son/daughter/husband/wife died in a noble and selfless cause." She nods her head, says thank you, sobs, and wonders how to rid herself of the ache in her chest. Meanwhile, Bush moves on to mechanically repeat the same lines to another grieving victim of his war on terror.

The question is, why won't Bush hear out Cindy and her colleagues? If he is so cock-sure that his war in Iraq is "a noble and selfless cause," why would he feel threatened by those who question that assessment? If his administration did not fix the intelligence around its Iraq policy, why not answer the questions of those concerned by the Downing Street Memo and put their doubts to rest? If Bush does truly mourn every loss of American life lost in Iraq, why not come down from his lofty perch and give those whose loved ones have died in Iraq the respect they deserve, instead of forcing them to walk in a ditch?

No need to answer. The questions are rhetorical.

Psychoblues

The person most offended is more than likely her son, whose memory she is using to get some attention. Since her son agreed with everything she does not (well, this year anyway), the person she is truly indiciting the most is the one she bemoans the loss of.

I don't think she really gives a damn, myself, and all you pigeons falling for her "woe is me" BS need to come buy some West Texas Wetland from me.

She is serving herself. You can't get any lower than opportunizing on family tragedy to get some attention.

GotZoom said:
Her 15 minutes will be up soon.

Then the book and movie deals will come rolling in.

Grieving...yeah right.

Her 15 minutes last year was in support of the administration. Her 15 minutes this year are in opposition to the administration.

Next year, she gets her arms and legs cut off and thrown into a volcano and becomes Darth Momma!!!

This woman is shamelessly using her son's death to further her political agenda....in other words she is dishonouring her son.

No worries though because she will soon be an afterthought, she does not deserve to speak to a man of honor like Bush.

GunnyL said:
Her 15 minutes last year was in support of the administration. Her 15 minutes this year are in opposition to the administration.

Next year, she gets her arms and legs cut off and thrown into a volcano and becomes Darth Momma!!!

:rotflmao: :thup:

Get this poor emotionally sick bitch out of Texas so her blood sucking entourage will leave with her. I'm about this close to making the drive to go see how these idiots operate. :wank:

The poor grieving mother....has now just made a commerical.. Heard about it on Michael Savage just a little while ago.... I started to say at one time, all these people backing her, could care less for her or for her son who died serving his country....She's being used for the time being, only because she can get air time from the MSM.... Once she can't get anymore air time, she'll be kicked to the curb.... Then the tables will be turned and,she's going to find out what it was like to truly, be used :poke:

I will salute her son who served with honor.... :salute:

Stephanie said:
The poor grieving mother....has now just made a commerical.. Heard about it on Michael Savage just a little while ago.... I started to say at one time, all these people backing her, could care less for her or for her son who died serving his country....She's being used for the time being, only because she can get air time from the MSM.... Once she can't get anymore air time, she'll be kicked to the curb.... Then the tables will be turned and,she's going to find out what it was like to truly, be used :poke:

I will salute her son who served with honor.... :salute:

The son deserves the :salute:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=17915

...Sheehan continued, “9/11 was Pearl Harbor for the neo-conservatives’ agenda” and declared the U.S. government a “morally repugnant system.” Then she raged:

We have no Constitution. We’re the only country with no checks and balances. We want our country back if we have to impeach George Bush down to the person who picks up the dog sh-t in Washington! Let George Bush send his two little party animals to die in Iraq. It’s OK for Israel to have nuclear weapons but we are waging nuclear war in Iraq, we have contaminated the entire country. It’s not OK for Syria to be in Lebanon. Hypocrites! But Israel can occupy Palestine? Stop the slaughter!​

While one might dismiss some of Sheehan’s hyperbole due to grief over her son’s death, a little research about Casey Sheehan revealed that contrary to being tricked by military recruiters, Casey Sheehan had re-enlisted in the U.S. Army voluntarily when he was 24-years-old, after serving his first hitch successfully. Casey Sheehan was in fact a hero who received a Bronze Star. He was attached as a mechanic to the artillery division of the 1st U.S. Cavalry in Iraq. When a convoy of soldiers from Casey’s unit was attacked in Sadr City by insurgents, Casey volunteered to join a rapid rescue force to get them out. His commanding sergeant told him he did not have to go into combat, because he was a mechanic and not an infantryman. Casey was quoted telling his officer, “I go where my chief goes.” He was tragically killed during the rescue attempt. The source for this story? Cindy Sheehan herself.

I also visited an army recruiting office on my way home and asked about Casey being promised a job as a chaplain’s assistant only to be thrust into harm’s way. The recruiter explained to me that on re-enlistment, the Army’s B.E.A.R. program (Bonus Extension and Retaining) guarantees everything in writing. If Casey was a mechanic during his first hitch, that was the only thing he would have been guaranteed per his re-enlistment contract. Further research showed that a chaplain’s assistant is a combat infantry position, whereas Casey was deployed in a non-combat job as a mechanic. Casey Sheehan sought combat duty for his country and should be honored for it, not used as a symbol of how evil the United States is...

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Forum List

Back