Please help! Strange Sky anomaly!!! WTF?

dmp said:
It holds absolute water. Canadians are North Americans. They are both North and American.

A·mer·i·can Audio pronunciation of "american" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-mr-kn)
adj.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
4. Indigenous to North or South America. Used of plants and animals.

You are absolutely correct in saying that Canadians are North Americans. You would be wrong to say that Canadians are Americans.

I see you conveinienly skipped definition number one (not to mention the link):
1. Of or relating to the United States of America or its people, language, or culture.

The word 'American' primarily relates to the USA, not to the continent of North America - no matter how much you might wish it to be otherwise. :)

dmp said:
one = you?

:D

Nobody says "THE Europes"...If you live on the continent of Europe, you are European, right?

There aren't two different continents called North Europe and South Europe, so there would be no reason to say "The Europes". Much like we say "The Carolinas" but we don't say "The Minnesotas".

Nice avatar.

For those not in the know, Seattle (area) had about a month's worth of consecutive days of rain. This thread was about poking fun at my geographical area - as if to say "it's been so long since I've seen blue sky, I'm unsure what it is!"

:)

gop_jeff said:
You are absolutely correct in saying that Canadians are North Americans. You would be wrong to say that Canadians are Americans.

I see you conveinienly skipped definition number one (not to mention the link):
1. Of or relating to the United States of America or its people, language, or culture.

The word 'American' primarily relates to the USA, not to the continent of North America - no matter how much you might wish it to be otherwise. :)

Conveinienly skipped? What is the purpose of showing a definition you already know? My educational motives are to show there is more than one correct way to use the word. Looking at the OTHER correct usages, 'American' can be used to describe anyone from North or South America. :)

dmp said:
Nice avatar.

For those not in the know, Seattle (area) had about a month's worth of consecutive days of rain. This thread was about poking fun at my geographical area - as if to say "it's been so long since I've seen blue sky, I'm unsure what it is!"

Thanks. I owe it all to you. :D

I was giving you the perfect excuse to upgrade... oh well. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
misterblu said:
No... No I don't think you would. You'd buy a silly TV or SC or sumptin' :lame2:

:D

SC for a grand? naw... Maybe a new living room chair - the one we want will be onsale at Costco in March. $599, if I recall...chair and ottoman. Course, it's never good to invest in furniture We may have to sell or negotiate for if things don't work out, domestically. :(

Blah...no sun today. Rain, clouds, darkness so far. :(

dmp said:
SC for a grand? naw... Maybe a new living room chair - the one we want will be onsale at Costco in March. $599, if I recall...chair and ottoman. Course, it's never good to invest in furniture We may have to sell or negotiate for if things don't work out, domestically. :(

Blah...no sun today. Rain, clouds, darkness so far. :(

OH! Excuuse me! A chair. :gay:

It was clear and starry out early this morning. You just happened to miss it! :sleep:

misterblu said:
OH! Excuuse me! A chair. :gay:

It was clear and starry out early this morning. You just happened to miss it! :sleep:

But it's a GREAT chair...:D

And yup - I suppose had i looked out the window at 2am, I might have seen stars.

We finally had a snowy day after a month of yucchy gray rain. This is JANUARY! What's the deal? I'm almost ready to start believing in global warming.

mom4 said:
We finally had a snowy day after a month of yucchy gray rain. This is JANUARY! What's the deal? I'm almost ready to start believing in global warming.

Still waiting for anything more than a dusting here. I miss this:

Snowy%20road.jpg

Forum List

Back