PLEASE HELP OUT A STUDENT: Analysis of Race and Gender

UofLStudent

Rookie
Oct 11, 2015
Hello everyone! I am currently working on a research project for my sociology class called Race in the US. For this assignment I am focusing on intersectionality and the relationship between race and gender privilege/oppression. If any of you would answer these questions it would help me out immensely. No name will be used in the paper and don’t feel pressured to answer the demographic questions if you feel uncomfortable Thank you!

Demographic Questions

a. Age

b. Racial Identity

c. Gender

d. Hometown

e. Education Level

f. Occupational Status

Interview questions

a. Think of and list some qualities that you see as masculine.

b. Think of and list some qualities that you see as feminine.

c. Now picture in your mind how you see a person displaying these feminine and masculine qualities? What race and socioeconomic background do to they have? Are the similar to you? In What ways? In what ways do they differ from you?

d. In what ways do you think these masculine and feminine identities are different across races? For example, do you think that an African American woman and a white woman have different identities as women? How does society expect them to act differently?

e. Now think more specifically. Do you see differences in expectations in the home for men and women of different races? What about in the career market?

f. How do you think these differences come into play in large societal movements? For example, how do you believe intersectionality (the mix of people from very different backgrounds) affects the feminist movement? How about race movements such as Black Lives Matter that stands for both men and women?

These are deep and churning philosophical questions we could spend the next decade on.

But here's a drop in the bucket, just because it relates to recent postings:

c. Now picture in your mind how you see a person displaying these feminine and masculine qualities? What race and socioeconomic background do to they have? Are the similar to you? In What ways? In what ways do they differ from you?

One (of infinitely many) examples:

Many school shooters, one common factor: a warped view of masculinity

Mass Killings in the US: Masculinity, Masculinity, Masculinity

America's White Masculinity Complex and the Myth of the "Senseless" Mass Shooting

Why is it Men Who Commit Mass Shootings?

---- not to center on this exclusively, but mass gun violence seems to be virtually an exlusively male domain. This indicates a singularly-focused quest for power that is simply not present in the female. Whether that's nature or nurture -- or what combination of both -- is another question, but whatever the combination is seems to shunt women to ideals of community and egalitarianism, while masculinity associates with individuality and authoritarianism (power).

Race and socioeconomic background play little into the present example, only insofar as they might modulate that perception of power or in this case lack thereof. But I think one is defined absolutely first by one's gender, by race and class only secondarily.

d. In what ways do you think these masculine and feminine identities are different across races? For example, do you think that an African American woman and a white woman have different identities as women? How does society expect them to act differently?

e. Now think more specifically. Do you see differences in expectations in the home for men and women of different races? What about in the career market?

f. How do you think these differences come into play in large societal movements? For example, how do you believe intersectionality (the mix of people from very different backgrounds) affects the feminist movement? How about race movements such as Black Lives Matter that stands for both men and women?

The variant approaches and expectations here, in all three of these questions, would be cultural rather than racial. We may hammer our expectations of "white man", "black woman" etc. into certain stereotypes, but these are the result of the culture one has been immersed in, which has more to do with economic class than race, and there are always exceptions.

Seriously, I hope that class is a general requirement and not in your major. That is one lame ass survey.

Speaking of "lame ass", how come all these posts and only mine actually address the topic at all?

I suspect that speaks volumes about the gender question as well.

Hello everyone! I am currently working on a research project for my sociology class called Race in the US. For this assignment I am focusing on intersectionality and the relationship between race and gender privilege/oppression. If any of you would answer these questions it would help me out immensely. No name will be used in the paper and don’t feel pressured to answer the demographic questions if you feel uncomfortable Thank you!

Demographic Questions

a. Age

b. Racial Identity

c. Gender

d. Hometown

e. Education Level

f. Occupational Status

Interview questions

To be honest, I think your survey is designed to support predrawn conclusions

I doubt if a credible university would give it much merit

Demographic Questions

a. Age

b. Racial Identity

c. Gender

d. Hometown

e. Education Level

f. Occupational Status

Interview questions

I can't agree. I've had some training in these things and the survey looks very open-ended to me. I don't see what conclusions it suggests.
If anything it's not narrow enough, but that's a question of practicality.

Demographic Questions

a. Age

b. Racial Identity

c. Gender

d. Hometown

e. Education Level

f. Occupational Status

Interview questions

I can't agree. I've had some training in these things and the survey looks very open-ended to me. I don't see what conclusions it suggests.

Now picture in your mind how you see a person displaying these feminine and masculine qualities? What race and socioeconomic background do to they have? Are the similar to you? In What ways? In what ways do they differ from you?

This question supports a predrawn conclusion that masculine and feminine qualities are in fact connected to race and socioeconomic factors

Demographic Questions

a. Age

b. Racial Identity

c. Gender

d. Hometown

e. Education Level

f. Occupational Status

Interview questions

Now picture in your mind how you see a person displaying these feminine and masculine qualities? What race and socioeconomic background do to they have? Are the similar to you? In What ways? In what ways do they differ from you?

This question supports a predrawn conclusion that masculine and feminine qualities are in fact connected to race and socioeconomic factors

I don't think you can isolate that by itself; it's a setup for what follows, as I read it. If anything it's really leading in the direction of an examination of relationships between races and the culture of social classes. Just happens to separate genders as an illustrative way to get there.

Which is a worthy examination IMHO.

Demographic Questions

a. Age

b. Racial Identity

c. Gender

d. Hometown

e. Education Level

f. Occupational Status

Interview questions

I don't think you can isolate that by itself; it's a setup for what follows, as I read it. If anything it's really leading in the direction of an examination of relationships between races and the culture of social classes. Just happens to separate genders as an illustrative way to get there.

Which is a worthy examination IMHO.

Exactly...it does seem to be leading to a predrawn conclusion that there is a relationship

If your hypothesis is: Is there a relationship between race and socioeconomic background and the perception of masculinity and femininity?

You don't ask for examples to support your hypothesis

Forum List

Back