Please Godly BEAT ME! Southern Baptist leader ousted. Women should pray for their abusive husbands!?

Southern Baptist leader ousted as seminary president after saying women should pray for their abusive husbands
A top Southern Baptist leader was ousted this week as the head of his seminary after he was widely criticized for saying that women who are abused by their husbands should pray for them and that women should “be submissive in every way that you can.”

The New York Times reported Wednesday that the board of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary had voted to remove the leader, Paige Patterson, as the leader of the Forth Worth, Texas, institution.

“After much prayer and a more than 13-hour discussion regarding challenges facing the institution, including those of enrollment, financial, leadership and institutional identity, the Board determined to move in the direction of new leadership,” the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary board said in a statement on Tuesday.

patterson_paige.png

© YouTube
A top Southern Baptist leader was ousted this week as the head of his seminar
Southern Baptist leader ousted as seminary president after saying women should pray for their abusive husbands

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Just how sick can religion GET?

Told ya!

A top Southern Baptist leader was ousted this week as the head of his seminary after he was widely criticized for saying that women who are abused by their husbands should pray for them and that women should “be submissive in every way that you can.”

The New York Times reported Wednesday that the board of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary had voted to remove the leader, Paige Patterson, as the leader of the Forth Worth, Texas, institution.

“After much prayer and a more than 13-hour discussion regarding challenges facing the institution, including those of enrollment, financial, leadership and institutional identity, the Board determined to move in the direction of new leadership,” the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary board said in a statement on Tuesday.

patterson_paige.png

© YouTube

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So you think asking the Almighty Creator of the Universe to make your lousy husband a better person is a bad plan?
AS we are made in the lords' image, how will BS Fake praying make this better?

No one mentioned fake praying.

Sincere prayers are the only ones that have power

patterson_paige.png

© YouTube

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So you think asking the Almighty Creator of the Universe to make your lousy husband a better person is a bad plan?
No, but telling his female parishoners to be as submissive as they can is not a good plan if a woman is being abused. I don't mean that they should be mouthy, but advising them to put up and shut up, which is what it SOUNDS like, could be very bad advice. He could have been quoted out of context; who knows. There are a lot of better people than I, who would pray for the soul of a joker who regularly beat and terrorized his wife. They're welcome to it. As long as that's not the ONLY answer to the problem.

You misunderstand (BIG surprise). I'm not expressing an opinion one way or the other about the whole of Patterson's remarks. I'm addressing specifically the idea of praying for an abusive husband.

Atheists have no concept of the power of prayer

Many Christians don’t either sadly

patterson_paige.png

© YouTube

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

No, but telling his female parishoners to be as submissive as they can is not a good plan if a woman is being abused. I don't mean that they should be mouthy, but advising them to put up and shut up, which is what it SOUNDS like, could be very bad advice. He could have been quoted out of context; who knows. There are a lot of better people than I, who would pray for the soul of a joker who regularly beat and terrorized his wife. They're welcome to it. As long as that's not the ONLY answer to the problem.

You misunderstand (BIG surprise). I'm not expressing an opinion one way or the other about the whole of Patterson's remarks. I'm addressing specifically the idea of praying for an abusive husband.

Atheists have no concept of the power of prayer

Many Christians don’t either sadly

I've witnessed it

What the Preacher said is straight out of the Bible. .... :cool:

" women who are abused by their husbands should pray for them and that women should “be submissive in every way that you can.”

Sounds like the Southern Baptists have gone PC. .... :cuckoo:

The every way you can isn’t a bad thing either. He never said submit to abuse. That’s obviously not a way you can

Those can go along with control and emotional abuse, but I think you're trying to give reasons why women would falsely claim they were "abused," aren't you? DV is nothing to joke about.
If more women would be obedient to their husbands.

The instances of DV would be greatly reduced. .... :cool:

Somehow I doubt that

patterson_paige.png

© YouTube

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Prayer is doing nothing and still think your helping.
Prayer has made a huge difference in stopping school shootings. Think about it.

No one is using prayer to stop school shootings. So nice straw man

Thank you so much for that utterly pointless statement of your opinion framed as universal "fact". I certainly cannot remember having at any point in time asked you if you agreed with my religious beliefs, but I feel sure that I must have, since you so promptly answered the question I don't recall asking.

The fact is you can pray to your favorite religious zealot or Walmart you're still going to die.

The fact is the religious hierarchy got out their calculator and figured out how much this pastor was going to cost them in religious offerings. So they canned his ass.

In religion and every other business it's all about the money.

The real fact is even if you never say a prayer you will rise from the grave in the resurrection

You will just find yourself facing judgment for your sins.

Thank you so much for that utterly pointless statement of your opinion framed as universal "fact". I certainly cannot remember having at any point in time asked you if you agreed with my religious beliefs, but I feel sure that I must have, since you so promptly answered the question I don't recall asking.

The fact is you can pray to your favorite religious zealot or Walmart you're still going to die.

The fact is the religious hierarchy got out their calculator and figured out how much this pastor was going to cost them in religious offerings. So they canned his ass.

In religion and every other business it's all about the money.

The real fact is even if you never say a prayer you will rise from the grave in the resurrection

You will just find yourself facing judgment for your sins.
A lot of that depends on what religion we are talking about, believing in, etc.

What the Preacher said is straight out of the Bible. .... :cool:

" women who are abused by their husbands should pray for them and that women should “be submissive in every way that you can.”

Sounds like the Southern Baptists have gone PC. .... :cuckoo:

The every way you can isn’t a bad thing either. He never said submit to abuse. That’s obviously not a way you can

Well, people who want to hammer on the "submissive" line, for whichever purpose, always forget to read the ENTIRE passage.

"Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[c] 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband." - Ephesians 5:22-33

Now, I'm sure all manner of people want to argue with the specifics there, but the point is that it's NOT a one-way, "husband gets all the perks for his own benefit and lords it over his family" set-up. In my view, that also implies that if he is NOT fulfilling his end of the bargain, not-fullfilling it to the point where you and/or your children are in danger, then you're certainly not obligated to hang around and try to hold up your half.

Forum List

Back