‘Please don’t be mad…I don’t have much': Anonymous 18-cent donation tugs at heartstrings

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
By Daphne Sashin
CNN

(CNN – April 30, 2015) — “Please don’t be mad,” the back of the envelope said. “I don’t have much. I’m homeless.”

The offering envelope left at the First United Methodist Church in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Sunday had no name — just the note.

It contained a dime, a nickel and three pennies.

From from being mad, church leaders were touched by the gesture. They don’t know who left it, but they believe it came from one of the “homeless neighbors” who attended the service after a free breakfast.

Every Sunday before the service, church volunteers serve breakfast to about 150 homeless neighbors, said Patrick S. Hamrick, pastor of finance and administration at the church. Afterward, some stay for one of the church’s two Sunday services. Members of the finance committee first saw it when they went to collect the offerings after the service.

Hamrick snapped a photo and shared it on the church’s Facebook page.

11182231_10152749876240684_3662707750999156634_n.jpg

Please don t be mad I don t have much Anonymous 18-cent donation tugs at heartstrings Fox 59
----------------------------------------------------
Mark 12:41-44

41 And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the people were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums. 42 A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. 43 Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, "Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury;44 for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on."

Sweet story and heart breaking story.

Forum List

Back