Please, define yourself

Epsilon Delta

Jedi Master
Jul 16, 2008
Central America
Hello, fellows. In my couple of short months here, most of what I've seen is senseless bashing from every side of the spectrum.

"Left bad, Right good"
"Right bad, Left good"

Does anybody even know what the hell any of that means? Who here can come and enlighten us in what any of that means? Please, what I want to know is what is meant by "left" or "right", and especially, what issues are what you think important to these "things", whatever the fuck they are, what are the main issues that you identify with that you believe and are exclusive to this 'side of the room'. At least define what in god's name a "liberal" is, or a "conservative" is. It just seems so fuzzy to the outsider, it doesn't make any sense.

And please, refrain from posting something like "the left is trying to keep us weak" or "the right are a bunch of warmongerers without souls". These slogans, which are so prone to pop up, are completely useless to any meaningful discussion. Try finding facts, and definitions, at least from someone who attempts to specialize one the issues.

And lastly, try to put yourself on somebody else's shoes. Why does someone side with the "side" that you disagree with? What are their grievances and why are they so 'different'? Why is the "other" so hostile to YOUR cause? Try to explain this in a way that the other side is like you, rational, a critical thinker. Not a strawman with no heart or brain.

I'm just curious to see where this goes.

Essantially, American rightests believe that limiting government power is in the interests of the Republic.

Essantially, leftists believe that government needs to be powerful enough to deal with the interests of this Republic.

This is a VERY simplified and completely unnuanced view of the philosophies both sides, of course.

Both views have merit.

Show me an issue and I'll give you my opinion. I wouldn't like to be labelled and then find myself tangled up in some sort of idelogical straijacket that required a conditioned response (sorry to mix metarphors but they were sort of connected).'

Hello, fellows. In my couple of short months here, most of what I've seen is senseless bashing from every side of the spectrum.

"Left bad, Right good"
"Right bad, Left good"

Does anybody even know what the hell any of that means? Who here can come and enlighten us in what any of that means? Please, what I want to know is what is meant by "left" or "right", and especially, what issues are what you think important to these "things", whatever the fuck they are, what are the main issues that you identify with that you believe and are exclusive to this 'side of the room'. At least define what in god's name a "liberal" is, or a "conservative" is. It just seems so fuzzy to the outsider, it doesn't make any sense.

And please, refrain from posting something like "the left is trying to keep us weak" or "the right are a bunch of warmongerers without souls". These slogans, which are so prone to pop up, are completely useless to any meaningful discussion. Try finding facts, and definitions, at least from someone who attempts to specialize one the issues.

And lastly, try to put yourself on somebody else's shoes. Why does someone side with the "side" that you disagree with? What are their grievances and why are they so 'different'? Why is the "other" so hostile to YOUR cause? Try to explain this in a way that the other side is like you, rational, a critical thinker. Not a strawman with no heart or brain.

Good question.

This is why I consider myself an Independent. I don't buy into the "left" v."right" mentality and labeling that goes with it. I consider "liberal" to be a generic term and true "conservatives" seem to have gone the way of the horse and buggy.

To me the Republican party is redefining what a Conservative ideology is these days. The Democrats seems to be so divided they can't put their differences aside long enough to form any sort of concensus on the issues. The ranks of Independents seems to be growing because there are a lot of voters like me that are fed up with both parties.

Good question.

This is why I consider myself an Independent. I don't buy into the "left" v."right" mentality and labeling that goes with it. I consider "liberal" to be a generic term and true "conservatives" seem to have gone the way of the horse and buggy.

To me the Republican party is redefining what a Conservative ideology is these days. The Democrats seems to be so divided they can't put their differences aside long enough to form any sort of concensus on the issues. The ranks of Independents seems to be growing because there are a lot of voters like me that are fed up with both parties.

but the independents still have to choose between the two disfunctional parties. we need a moderate third party

I'm all for a 3rd party but even that seems a ways down the road because Independents seem to be an unorganized voting block as well.

I can't really deny that of I were on put on the politcal spectrum I would be right of center. I am big time personal responsibility and limited government. And actually I would agree that many on the right would agree with Editec statement that to an extent government does need to be there for the people. It just shouldn't be there to babysit them and/or absolve them of responsibility.

The issue is not so much in labels but stereotypes that aren't accurate. The problem is that changeing beliefs no matter how inaccurate is tough. I believe based on what I have seen that the left does not believe in the concept of personal responsibility for example.

The left may believe the right are warmongers, anti-gay, racists, etc. which isn't accurate either.

History has shown that the American political landscape is unwilling to support more than 2 viable and competitive parties. The notion of a white knight third party is romantic and tantalizing indeed, but it's wholly unrealistic. If a "different" party does emerge, it does so at the demise of one of the two existing parties. In the end, we're always left with two. But in a way we agree, since I think it's about time to reshuffle the deck so to speak.

I'm all for a 3rd party but even that seems a ways down the road because Independents seem to be an unorganized voting block as well.

I don't think we need a 3rd or more parties. If the goal is a better stronger country I would think the ultimate goal would be no parties.

History has shown that the American political landscape is unwilling to support more than 2 viable and competitive parties. The notion of a white knight third party is romantic and tantalizing indeed, but it's wholly unrealistic. If a "different" party does emerge, it does so at the demise of one of the two existing parties. In the end, we're always left with two. But in a way we agree, since I think it's about time to reshuffle the deck so to speak.

i dont know much about the history of political parties, so can you explain how history has shown we can only have 2?

i dont know much about the history of political parties, so can you explain how history has shown we can only have 2?

With the exception of brief transition periods, that's all we've ever had. While I acknowledge that this doesn't prove that it's impossible to maintain more than two parties for an extended period of time, but it's a pretty solid bet.

I started liberal in high school, went conservative in college and law school, and now I'm a white advocate.

I came to see that "liberal" and "conservative" are, though not meaningless distinctions, small beer in light of the greater disappearance and dispossession of white people. America for almost 400 years was nearly 90 percent white. Now, it's only 2/3 white, and we will be the minority by 2042. Liberal/conservative distinctions will mean JACK SHIT by then -- because these distinctions are for whites. The overwhelming reality is that the cultures, languages and ways of other peoples will drown all that out.

Last edited:
I started liberal in high school, went conservative in college and law school, and now I'm a white advocate.

I came to see that "liberal" and "conservative" are, though not meaningless distinctions, small beer in light of the greater disappearance and dispossession of white people. American for almost 400 years was nearly 90 percent white. Now, it's only 2/3 white, and we will be the minority by 2042. Liberal/conservative distinctions will mean JACK SHIT by then -- because these distinctions are for whites. The overwhelming reality is that the cultures, languages and ways of other peoples will drown all that out.
How is it possible that only white people can have liberal or conservative views? That makes no sense. Please explain.

"Left bad, Right good"
"Right bad, Left good"

In my opinion, if you are on the right you believe in personal responsibility and using your own money to take care of yourself.

If you are on the left you believe that the governement knows what is best for you and should take care of you.

Last edited:
In my opinion, if you are on the right you believe in personal responsibility and taking care of yourself.

If you are on the left you believe that the governement knows what is best for you and should take care of you.

So who do people on the right believe is personally responsible for national defense?

New Topics

Forum List

Back