Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
28 people died here...

Attachments

• $tornado-wipes-entire-town-of-marysville-indiana-off-map-march-2-2012.jpg
    $tornado-wipes-entire-town-of-marysville-indiana-off-map-march-2-2012.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 61
Last surviving member of family, Baby Angel, passed away Sunday...
:(
37 killed as tornadoes hit US states
Saturday 3rd March, 2012 - Indiana and three other US states were hit by powerful tornadoes over the weekend with the loss of at least 37 lives.
Small communities in Kentucky, Ohio and Alabama also received massive damage from the deadly twisters. School buildings, a prison and small towns
received the full brunt of numerous fast-moving tornadoes which left a number of people dead or missing.

Although 37 people have already been identified as having been killed, it is feared the death toll could rise. Eighteen died in Kentucky, 14 in Indiana, three in Ohio, and one both Alabama and Georgia.

Weather forecasters have predicted there could be more storms over the weekend in what has already been a bad year for tornadoes in the US. There were 550 deaths from tornadoes in 2011. It proved to be the deadliest year in nearly a century.

Source

SUB-STORMS-1-articleLarge.jpg

Emergency crews combed through the damage in Harrisburg, Ill., where six people were killed and about 100 injured on Wednesday. At least six other people in the storms' paths died.

Storms Cross the Midwest and South, Crushing Towns
February 29, 2012 — A powerful storm system tore through parts of the Midwest and South on Wednesday, killing at least 12 people, leaving pockets of devastation across several states and marking the acceleration of another deadly tornado season.
Tornadoes and powerful winds tore off roofs, downed power lines, tossed mobile homes and injured more than 150 people from Kansas to Kentucky, according to the National Weather Service. The damage appeared to be most significant in Harrisburg, a small city in southern Illinois, where six people were killed in the storm and about 100 more injured, according to Lt. Tracy Felty of the Saline County Sheriff’s Office. Blocks of houses and businesses were reduced to rubble. Trees and power lines were tangled along the streets. Puffs of building insulation floated in the air here. “I don’t know how I could still be here with us,” said Charles Turner, 71, whose trailer collapsed on top of him. “After the sirens went off, there was a cracking sound, then everything lit up pretty as could be and my place just exploded around me. Everything went black, and I thought that was it, I was done.”

Firefighters pulled Mr. Turner from what was left of his home: the side of a bedroom stuck 20 feet up in a tree, walls gone, and old photos, Christmas decorations and a grandchild’s handwritten story strewn all around. He was treated at a local hospital and released, and he was packing up what items he could find before going to stay with relatives. “Everything in the path was completely wiped out, just destroyed,” said Nick Sumner, who ran for cover after waking to tornado sirens. “It’s indescribable,” he added. “It’s surreal. Nothing I’ve ever seen before. It’s something you’d see on a movie. Complete devastation.”

The intense late winter storm system, which resulted from cold air from the Rocky Mountains mixing with warm air from the Gulf of Mexico, also killed at least three people in southern Missouri, according to state officials. Moving east Wednesday night, storms tore roofs from buildings and flattened trees in eastern Tennessee, leaving at least three people dead. The sound of warning sirens and the sight of devastation provided unnerving reminders of the fierce unpredictability of the skies in this part of the country. Last year, 550 people were killed by tornadoes, making it the deadliest season in 75 years, according to the National Weather Service. The worst of those storms leveled much of Joplin, Mo., just east of several of the communities where people were digging out on Wednesday.

In one of them, Buffalo, Mo., a trailer park suffered a direct hit just after midnight. The dozen homes were scattered and splintered, many with their startled residents still inside. One person was killed and another 13 were injured, some seriously. One of the trailers caught fire during the rescue operation. “It looks more like a war zone than a tornado path,” said Lt. Dana Egan of the Dallas County Sheriff’s Office, who described the scene.

MORE

Forum List

Back