Plants and Herbs Used by American Indians

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
As part of researching my contemporary novel, Sonora Symphony, I came across the following plants found in the Sonora Desert that were used by healers. Later, when the Spanish arrived and began to intermix in the southwest, curanderos continued to use and expand the uses of the plants.

Homeopathic clinics have these available, to be perfectly honest, you can go to just about any supermarket or small store catering to Mexicans or other Latinos to find these available – most often pre-packaged.

Disclaimer: I am not a dietician or an expert of any form or nature about the preparation and use of these. I can only state that I have come to believe they work as the result of being married to a Mexican for the past 26 years. She regularly uses them and, when I pay attention and do what she tells me – they work for me.

I think the easiest to obtain and cook is nopal, the leaves of the prickly pear cactus. If you have any of your own, please add them here and I'd appreciate it if you'd add them as a comment to my blog – A Soldier's Stories @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com

Wal-Mart vitamins shelves are filled with extracts of various plants, fruits, etc. Use quite a few of them myself. Some I can recall off the top of my head (without going into the bathroom to check)

- Green Tea extract; Grape Seed extract; Coconut Oil (anti-viral properties I started back when I had a persistent cold;) Turmecin (however ya spell it, also for its anti-viral properties;) Garlic extract; L-Lysine; multivitamin; B-complex; Acidolpholus with digestive enzymes; Flax Seed multi-omegas; Lycopene (tried getting into tomatos, failed despite telling myself over and over "it's a fruit;") Echinacea (only as needed, usually for stuffy noses from allegies;)

In all, amounts to 2 handfulls of them every morning. Result, but for the cold back around Thanksgiving, and the odd flu every 8 or so years I don't get sick. Am 43, don't exercise, eat crap, but keep a positive mental attitude and the vita-supplements.

Oh and gingko biloba for memory. Ironic given how I always forget it. :)

Extracts from the pharmacies aren't the same as the whole plants - either fresh or packaged.

As I indicated, just about any Latino store or market will have a section dedicated to these products.

Most of the herbal product that I use medicinally were cultivated by Asian Indians.

As part of researching my contemporary novel, Sonora Symphony, I came across the following plants found in the Sonora Desert that were used by healers. Later, when the Spanish arrived and began to intermix in the southwest, curanderos continued to use and expand the uses of the plants.

Homeopathic clinics have these available, to be perfectly honest, you can go to just about any supermarket or small store catering to Mexicans or other Latinos to find these available – most often pre-packaged.

Disclaimer: I am not a dietician or an expert of any form or nature about the preparation and use of these. I can only state that I have come to believe they work as the result of being married to a Mexican for the past 26 years. She regularly uses them and, when I pay attention and do what she tells me – they work for me.

I think the easiest to obtain and cook is nopal, the leaves of the prickly pear cactus. If you have any of your own, please add them here and I'd appreciate it if you'd add them as a comment to my blog – A Soldier's Stories @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com

Cactus is part of Mexican cuisine, but I don't know of an medicinal properties. Both the "pear" and the leaf of the prickly pear are common in Mexican dishes.

Cactus is part of Mexican cuisine, but I don't know of an medicinal properties. Both the "pear" and the leaf of the prickly pear are common in Mexican dishes.

Check out:
Prickly Pear Uses Benefits Dosage - Drugs.com Herbal Database
and
Prickly Pear Cactus Plant Benefits Information
(
Medical Research and Scientific Studies
According to the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, preliminary studies indicate that prickly pear extract may decrease blood glucose levels in patients with type 2 diabetes. The fiber and pectin found within the cactus appears to lower blood sugar by decreasing sugar absorption in the stomach and intestines. The plant extract improves insulin sensitivity, and it also protects the liver from oxidation.

In other research, prickly pear extract was shown to ease the unpleasant effects and pain of an alcohol hangover. Scientists continue to study the impact of prickly pear properties on cholesterol levels, blood clotting activity, viral infections and other health issues.)

Mexican curanderas swear by it.

Wal-Mart vitamins shelves are filled with extracts of various plants, fruits, etc. Use quite a few of them myself. Some I can recall off the top of my head (without going into the bathroom to check)

- Green Tea extract; Grape Seed extract; Coconut Oil (anti-viral properties I started back when I had a persistent cold;) Turmecin (however ya spell it, also for its anti-viral properties;) Garlic extract; L-Lysine; multivitamin; B-complex; Acidolpholus with digestive enzymes; Flax Seed multi-omegas; Lycopene (tried getting into tomatos, failed despite telling myself over and over "it's a fruit;") Echinacea (only as needed, usually for stuffy noses from allegies;)

In all, amounts to 2 handfulls of them every morning. Result, but for the cold back around Thanksgiving, and the odd flu every 8 or so years I don't get sick. Am 43, don't exercise, eat crap, but keep a positive mental attitude and the vita-supplements.

for lycopene-----eat ketchup on your----whatever The PROCESS boosts the lycopene content----ketchup has all the lycopene you could ever want--------on your fries, of course the active stuff in TUMERIC is called CURCUMIN ketchup and turmeric in your bean soup
saves you money in the damn pharmacy. gingko don't work -------for calm----valerian (not with booze) ---for vitamin C----harvest ROSE HIPS from your neighbor's rose bush------in autumn when she ain't lookin'----the hips are right next to the ass

Extracts from the pharmacies aren't the same as the whole plants - either fresh or packaged.

As I indicated, just about any Latino store or market will have a section dedicated to these products.
The plants loose their oils when crushed or powdered...

It's wiser to just not fuck yourself up so much that you need to consume those dietary suppliments to get better in the first place.

Dominion Detol

Realm 1: Native-Americans spiritualize the hallucinatory effects of peyote (mescaline)

Realm 2: Western Americans chlorinate swimming pools (i.e., in gyms) to sanitize them chemically

We should talk about the use of science.

:afro:

Swimming Pool Sanitation

am.jpg

Plant extracts offer hope against diabetes, cancer

Sort of an addition to my blog post about the cornucopia of herbal plants and how they can help deal with various ailments.

Date: May 25, 2015

Source: Swinburne University of Technology

Summary:

Diabetes is the fastest growing metabolic disease in the world. A new study has shown that traditional Aboriginal and Indian plant extracts could be used to manage the disease and may also have potential use in cancer treatment.

I notice the study only covered Australian aboriginal and Indian (in Asia) plants and not the ones I mentioned in my blog post. It also emphasizes “extracts” and not the entire plants – which leads me to believe it's a Big-Pharm effort to take it out of the shops and into the pharmacies.

The following made me laugh. Human uses have gone on from before records were kept.

Professor Palombo said studies in animals and, eventually, humans are required to take this research further.

Read more @ http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150525095421.htm

for lycopene-----eat ketchup on your----whatever The PROCESS boosts the lycopene content----ketchup has all the lycopene you could ever want--------on your fries, of course the active stuff in TUMERIC is called CURCUMIN ketchup and turmeric in your bean soup
saves you money in the damn pharmacy. gingko don't work -------for calm----valerian (not with booze) ---for vitamin C----harvest ROSE HIPS from your neighbor's rose bush------in autumn when she ain't lookin'----the hips are right next to the ass
Mine are too young for hips...

I don't know any specific plants, I'm sure some can help or even cure some ailments but the body is complex and needs a variety of nutritional sources. A plant based diet with moderate animal products and little to no processed foods is the healthiest thing you can do and will turn around many diseases. Many people have ditched their medications and live without the side effects and expense!

I submitted this novel to a publisher a few weeks ago and have been on pins and needles ever since.

This morning I received an email from them indicating "they're considering it" and it won;t be for another four to six months until I learn what they decide to do.

Lord, I don't know whether that's good news or not.

Wish me luck.

Forum List

Back