Plantation Homes

ValerieYanez

Feb 12, 2018
Texas
How come nobody has a problem with all the plantation homes and slave quarters being used for a profit in Louisiana? I’ve always found it to be extremely distasteful to have them up and running for tourists. Who wants to stay the night in the slave quarters? Really? I wouldn’t say anything and to each his own but everybody has their panties in a wad about the statues.

How come nobody has a problem with all the plantation homes and slave quarters being used for a profit in Louisiana? I’ve always found it to be extremely distasteful to have them up and running for tourists. Who wants to stay the night in the slave quarters? Really? I wouldn’t say anything and to each his own but everybody has their panties in a wad about the statues.

I know a lot of these plantation museums from my time in Mississippi and I've never heard of one where you could stay overnight -- perhaps they exist, but museums rarely want people walking around in their artifacts.

But the direct comparison is that these plantation museums are "antebellum homes" -- meaning they were there before the Civil War and as such represent a snapshot of at least a part of antebellum life, including where the slave quarters were, including whatever opulence derived from their labor in those times.

That's quite different from latter-day Confederate monuments which were put up decades after the War for the purpose of sanitizing the Confederacy by the Cult of the Lost Cause, primarily through the United Daughters of the Confederacy (which put up the vast majority of them), the entire purpose of which was to revise the whole history, starting in effect with the novel "The Clansman" in 1905 which begat a play, which begat a movie, which begat the re-formation of the defunct Ku Klux Klan, which fueled and thrived off the most racist period of this nation's history from Jim Crow laws to race riots.

So the plantation buildings are actual literal history, while the monument craze of the early 20th century was a blatant attempt to revise and whitewash that same history. They've been sitting there a long time without being recognized for what they actually are ---- idols of a cult. Propaganda transmitters. That's in no way comparable to the museums. In effect the museums actually DO embody history, while only history the UDC monuments represent is the era when this Cult of the Lost Cause tried to symbolically re-fight the War in abject denial of its own loss in that War. Which is also in effect what the Ku Klux Klan set out to do*. And that --- the purpose behind it --- is the derivation of recent confrontations OF that mentality.

Hope this helps.

* the Klan was also memorialized in one of these UDC monuments, a plaque made and placed on a building at 205 West Madison Street in Pulaski Tennessee, where the Klan was first formed and listing the founders' names, again in the same period (1917). When that building was sold to a new owner in the 1990s he turned the plaque backwards so it now shows a blank, declaring it was symbolic of Pulaki "turning its back on" that whole mentality. Nobody complained about that monument removal, except some Klan who liked to meet there annually for a wank fest.

And that's the same dynamic as it is when cities remove the same kind of propaganda transmitters from their public spaces, where they were deliberately put to be effective public propaganda transmitters.

Last edited:
Is it somehow "wrong" to make a profit from a piece of history? No, I don't think so. And if people want to spend their tourist dollars there, that's up to them. But then, I don't get worked up over statues either, though as Pogo explained, that is a different thing.

I know a lot of these plantation museums from my time in Mississippi and I've never heard of one where you could stay overnight -- perhaps they exist, but museums rarely want people walking around in their artifacts.

But the direct comparison is that these plantation museums are "antebellum homes" -- meaning they were there before the Civil War and as such represent a snapshot of at least a part of antebellum life, including where the slave quarters were, including whatever opulence derived from their labor in those times.

That's quite different from latter-day Confederate monuments which were put up decades after the War for the purpose of sanitizing the Confederacy by the Cult of the Lost Cause, primarily by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the entire purpose of which was to revise the whole history, starting in effect with the novel "The Clansman" in 1905 which begat a play, which begat a movie, which begat the re-formation of the defunct Ku Klux Klan, which fueled and thrived off the most racist period of this nation's history from Jim Crow laws to race riots.

So the plantation buildings are actual literal history, while the monument craze of the early 20th century was a blatant attempt to revise and whitewash that same history. They've been sitting there a long time without being recognized for what they actually are ---- idols of a cult. Propaganda transmitters. That's in no way comparable to the museums.
What about the Alamo? They want to bull doze that down as well. You can look it up and make a reservation to stay in a plantation home right now. I’m not sure if it’s as easy as that with the slave quarters I’ve never tried either one but you can stay there. I don’t know what to think about the statues but it’s hypocritical to want them down because they’re oppressive while we have plantation homes running where they actually oppressed people. The statue is a rock.

That's quite different from latter-day Confederate monuments which were put up decades after the War for the purpose of sanitizing the Confederacy by the Cult of the Lost Cause, primarily by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the entire purpose of which was to revise the whole history, starting in effect with the novel "The Clansman" in 1905 which begat a play, which begat a movie, which begat the re-formation of the defunct Ku Klux Klan, which fueled and thrived off the most racist period of this nation's history from Jim Crow laws to race riots.

So the plantation buildings are actual literal history, while the monument craze of the early 20th century was a blatant attempt to revise and whitewash that same history. They've been sitting there a long time without being recognized for what they actually are ---- idols of a cult. Propaganda transmitters. That's in no way comparable to the museums.
What about the Alamo? They want to bull doze that down as well. You can look it up and make a reservation to stay in a plantation home right now. I’m not sure if it’s as easy as that with the slave quarters I’ve never tried either one but you can stay there. I don’t know what to think about the statues but it’s hypocritical to want them down because they’re oppressive while we have plantation homes running where they actually oppressed people. The statue is a rock.

I don't know anything about anyone wanting to bulldoze the Alamo or any plantation museums either.

You seem to have a vivid imagination in lieu of what we call "links".

And no, it's not at all "hypocritical" ---- they're two entirely different things. Take a breath and actually read what I just wrote. There's an idea.

I visited a plantation outside of New Orleans with the most magnificent gardens I've ever seen. The slave quarters were still being lived in by descendants of slaves who never left and continue to work on the plantation.

They'd probably roll out a cot, if you really wanted to sleep there, though.

I don't know anything about anyone wanting to bulldoze the Alamo or any plantation museums either.

And no, it's not at all "hypocritical" ---- they're two entirely different things. Take a breath and actually read what I just wrote. There's an idea.
I’m breathing just fine and if you want a link go to the search engine site of your choice and type in plantation home. More links than you will need

Is it somehow "wrong" to make a profit from a piece of history? No, I don't think so. And if people want to spend their tourist dollars there, that's up to them. But then, I don't get worked up over statues either, though as Pogo explained, that is a different thing.

Gettysburg draws about 1.2 million people a year...that's a chunk of change.

Great experience also

It's history...great way to see what happened and what life was like
Up to 40 pounds wearing one of those beautiful antebellum outfits, they said. This one had to be 25 anyway--it was drapes.
upload_2018-3-17_12-50-1.png

I visited a plantation outside of New Orleans with the most magnificent gardens I've ever seen. The slave quarters were still being lived in by descendants of slaves who never left and continue to work on the plantation.

I didn’t know there were slave houses with people living in them.

Damn straight, the damn Yankees missed a few

I’m breathing just fine and if you want a link go to the search engine site of your choice and type in plantation home. More links than you will need

Yeah I don't need to do that. *YOU* do. These are YOUR points, ergo YOU have the burden of proof. It ain't my job to do YOUR homework for you. Until you get off your lazy ass and do that all you have here is ipse dixit. Trust me, I need no introduction to antebellum museums. I've been around them since I was a child.

Yup. Little cabins, all in a row, real close together like poorly zoned shore property.

Yeah I don't need to do that. *YOU* do. These are YOUR points, ergo YOU have the burden of proof. It ain't my job to do YOUR homework for you. Until you get off your lazy ass and do that all you have here is ipse dixit.
No I’m right you’re wrong.

Yup. Little cabins, all in a row, real close together like poorly zoned shore property.
Interesting

Yeah I don't need to do that. *YOU* do. These are YOUR points, ergo YOU have the burden of proof. It ain't my job to do YOUR homework for you. Until you get off your lazy ass and do that all you have here is ipse dixit.
Trust me, I need no introduction to antebellum museums. I've been around them since I was a child.
No I’m right you’re wrong.

Spoken like a true six-year-old but obviously I know way more about all this shit than you do, and I just explained it all nicely while you went :lalala: so it's pretty clear that what you're here for and what I'm here for are worlds apart. Go grow up.

Ciao baybeh

Forum List

Back