Planned Parenthood suing AZ

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
In new abortion battle, Planned Parenthood sues Arizona - chicagotribune.com

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Planned Parenthood sued the state of Arizona on Monday in an effort to overturn a law that blocks funding for its health clinics because the organization also performs abortions.

The law, signed by Governor Jan Brewer in May, is part of a national campaign against Planned Parenthood orchestrated by conservative Republican lawmakers who oppose abortions. In the past two years, 13 states have taken steps to eliminate funding for Planned Parenthood, and the organization has filed lawsuits in six of them, including Arizona.

Planned Parenthood says abortions account for only 3 percent of its services, which include cancer screening and birth control.

"It is wrong for the state to tell Arizonans who they can and cannot see for their healthcare. The men and women of this state have the right to see the healthcare provider they deem is best for them," said Bryan Howard, president and chief executive officer of Planned Parenthood Arizona.

The group, whose legal team for the case includes the American Civil Liberties Union, filed the suit in U.S. District Court in Arizona, according to Planned Parenthood.

"Governor Brewer is confident in the constitutionality of this law and confident it will be upheld by the court," Brewer spokesman Matthew Benson said.

Planned Parenthood has won injunctions in five states -- Indiana, Kansas, North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas -- arguing that it is being punished for providing constitutionally protected services and that women's access to preventive healthcare is being blocked.

I think Jan may just be a mite confused.

Why can't you wimmen buy your own coat hanger?

I don't expect the gov't to buy me ammo for my Glock.

I find it totally ridiculous that even though just 3% of PP's services are abortions, that is what people focus on. Never mind they also do breast screenings, pap smears, and offer advice on birth control, no one seems to care about that, just the damned abortions.

Forum List

Back