Planned Parenthood Condoms worst - Consumer Reports

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
Condoms stretched by best brands test
Wed Jan 5, 2005 01:52 AM GMT
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The consumers group best known for rating cars and washing machines has turned its testing prowess to condoms to find out which ones measure up best and how other birth control methods compare.

The nonprofit Consumers Union says in a new guide to contraception that the seven top U.S. types of condom they studied did not burst despite vigorous testing, and all models met international standards.

But results showed that the top brand, able to take the most punishment, was the Durex Extra Sensitive Lubricated Latex, according to the report.

Other top-performers include the Durex Performax Lubricated, Lifestyles Classic Collection Ultra Sensitive Lubricated and TheyFit Lubricated.

A melon-coloured model distributed by Planned Parenthood performed the worst, bursting during a test in which the latex condoms were filled with air.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=648561

gop_jeff said:
Condoms stretched by best brands test
Wed Jan 5, 2005 01:52 AM GMT
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The consumers group best known for rating cars and washing machines has turned its testing prowess to condoms to find out which ones measure up best and how other birth control methods compare.

The nonprofit Consumers Union says in a new guide to contraception that the seven top U.S. types of condom they studied did not burst despite vigorous testing, and all models met international standards.

But results showed that the top brand, able to take the most punishment, was the Durex Extra Sensitive Lubricated Latex, according to the report.

Other top-performers include the Durex Performax Lubricated, Lifestyles Classic Collection Ultra Sensitive Lubricated and TheyFit Lubricated.

A melon-coloured model distributed by Planned Parenthood performed the worst, bursting during a test in which the latex condoms were filled with air.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=648561

Hmmmm, points to the goal of more abortions to make more money....anecdotal evidence maybe but evidence nonetheless.

Planned Parenthood has released its annual report for 2003-2004. The information reveals that the nation's largest abortion business performed more abortions at fewer abortion facilities during the last year. The pro-abortion group also took in fewer private donations and more money from the government. According to Jim Sedlak, president of STOPP International, a watchdog group that monitors Planned Parenthood, the abortion business performed 244,628 abortions, an increase of 6.1 percent. It has performed more than 3.5 million abortions since 1970. Planned Parenthood Federation of America's (PPFA) annual report shows more than one-third of Planned Parenthood's annual income comes from abortions. Surgical abortions accounted for $104 million of the $302.6 million its offices brought in. As it has in the past, Planned Parenthood continues to provide few alternatives to abortion.
For every adoption referral made, it performed 138 abortions.
The PPFA report reveals that the abortion business continues to sell the dangerous RU 486 abortion drug at a steady clip, despite the death of California teenager Holly Patterson, who obtained the abortion drug at a local Planned Parenthood office. The data shows 203 PPFA facilities sold more than 95,000 abortion pills. Some 49 Planned Parenthood offices that do not perform surgical abortions sell the drugs. Sedlak says Planned Parenthood continues to take in significant income from federal, state and local governments. Combined, tax dollars accounted for a record $265.2 million -- nearly 33 percent of its $810 million total income the supposedly non-profit group made. In fact, PPFA continues to make a profit, Sedlak explained.
"For the 18th year in a row, Planned Parenthood turned a net profit. This year's $35.2 million brings its total profits over the 18 years to $538 million,"
he indicated. Meanwhile, private donations dropped for the second time in three years.

http://www.ks-ra.org/plannedparenthood.htm

gop_jeff said:
and all models met international standards....SNIP...A melon-coloured model distributed by Planned Parenthood performed the worst, bursting during a test in which the latex condoms were filled with air.

1) All models met international standards

2) Some condoms broke when INFLATED TO 3 FEET IN DIAMETER.

3) Planned Parenthood distributes many brands of condoms, and apparently one of the brands, while it fully met the international standards, did not meet Consumers Union 3 foot diameter balloon test.

4) Thank Reuters (the least respected major wire service) for giving you a little sound bite to dis Planned Parenthood, even though the merit of that dis is plainly suspect.

Regards,

Andy

CivilLiberty said:

3) Planned Parenthood distributes many brands of condoms, and apparently one of the brands, while it fully met the international standards, did not meet Consumers Union 3 foot diameter balloon test.

4) Thank Reuters (the least respected major wire service) for giving you a little sound bite to dis Planned Parenthood, even though the merit of that dis is plainly suspect.

Regards,

Andy

Hey man, i want to know that it can handle my girth, :D .

CivilLiberty said:

Regards,

Andy

While I have many beefs with PP, my point in posting this story was to show the irony that Planned Parenthood's condoms were the worst tested, since a condom breaking could result in becoming Unplanned Parents.

gop_jeff said:
While I have many beefs with PP, my point in posting this story was to show the irony that Planned Parenthood's condoms were the worst tested, since a condom breaking could result in becoming Unplanned Parents.

Yes, but: do the PP condoms break in actual use? As I noted earlier, PP distributes for free MANY brands, some of which are donated, or purchased at the deepest discount to make the most of their limited financial resources. I might note that the PP here in Hollywood distributes Durex, rated by Consumers Union as the "best".

A "3 foot balloon" is not used even by government regulators in FDA condom testing, and I question it as a solid determination of condom reliability.

And I noticed that they did not test urethane condoms - I break those every time, and as such I'll never use them again.

A

Civil,

Perhaps you should do a bit of research on Planned Parenthood. This statement:
PP distributes for free MANY brands, some of which are donated, or purchased at the deepest discount to make the most of their limited financial resources
is laughable, when talking about an organization which boasts over 100% increases in PROFIT every year. Planned Parenthood is a huge, THRIVING, organization...that makes its money off of abortion, and doesn't seem to find it neccessary to spend some of the money on what it claims to be supporting: CHOICE, its rate of referral to adoption organizations is pitiful, and the condoms it gives its customers are not as protective as they could be.

The tests might be extreme, but the bottom line is, an organization that makes money off of unwanted pregnancies while claiming to want to STOP people from getting pregnant unexpectedly should perhaps, take a higher interest in the "prevention" aspect of their jobs...rather than their "cure."

Forum List

Back